Just Don't Gain

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Just Don't Gain

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:33 pm

Interesting study: New Way to Diet: Just Don't Gain

I've read something similar in a couple of other places over the last year or so. I'm not sure that it came from the same source/study.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:35 pm

It would have been interesting if they had also tracked cholesterol, resting pulse, triglycerides, or some other marker. I guess they weren't as interested in proving that modest changes, especially in activity, show health benefits than that there is a way to stay the gains.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:46 pm

So, weight loss programs are still shooting for a 2-3 lb loss a week by cutting 500-1000 calories a day.

As someone whose weight will drift down about half a pound or so a week when I'm fully compliant with No S and my personal guideline modifications (smaller plates for breakfast and dinner, half plate fruit/veg, 45 -60 minutes of walking daily) 2-3 pounds sounds like a lot to me. I can't imagine where I would cut out 500 calories a day, let alone a 1000.

I think they highlighted the most important variable for the results of this study; the participants were motivated. That makes a huge difference.

AndreaRN9

Post by AndreaRN9 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Weight loss programs shoot for those kinds of losses to justify the costs. Nobody's going to pay Jenny Craig $150 a week for a 5-10 lb. weight loss in a year. Weight Watchers monthly pass is over $40/month. Without significant losses people won't continue to pay. They're certainly not going to pay just not to gain. People want results.

Cutting calories to that extent, however, usually results in a pushback/regain. But that's only a problem for the dieter, not the diet company. When the dieter fails at maintenance, they return to the company and pay the money all over again.

It's a racket.

earl7z

Post by earl7z » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:So, weight loss programs are still shooting for a 2-3 lb loss a week by cutting 500-1000 calories a day.
I think weight watchers is .5 to 2 lbs a week. More than that and they worry you're losing too fast.
All you can do is all you can do.

Food doesn't make you fat. Too much food makes you fat.

Dale

Post by Dale » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:33 am

Wouldn't a 500 - 1000 calorie deficit be closer to a 1-2lb loss a week rather than 2 0 3lb? (I still think that can be unnecessarily strict for a lot of people).

Anyway, I wish I'd read this article a few years ago, before I gained the weight! It's interesting that they recommend it for people who are already obese (up to BMI of 35). It would be interesting to see how long the people managed to maintain for after the end of the study (I mean years later). It's also interesting that the dropout was low, and that the participants were compliant with maintaining their weight rather than trying to lose - maybe that was just because they'd volunteered for the study. There's a lot to think about there. Thank you for posting it.