I quit daily weighing today. How often do you weigh?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

earl7z

I quit daily weighing today. How often do you weigh?

Post by earl7z » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 am

It's quite scary. But I'm wondering, how often do you weigh yourself? Once a week? Once a month? Never?

It feels like giving up some control. But my intent is to have my N days become more of the focus instead of the daily random gain/loss rollercoaster.
All you can do is all you can do.

Food doesn't make you fat. Too much food makes you fat.

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:32 am

I've been doing it over a month now and I've never weighed, my clothes feel looser and that's all I'm going off. My obsession becomes more about the number rather than the healthy habits that I'm forming so I'm opting for never weighing! I may do in a years time once the habits are so instilled I can't be rocked and it would be very interesting to see how much I'd lost.

But until then, I'll just go off how I feel which is pretty brilliant! :)
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!

jw

Post by jw » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 am

I weigh very irregularly, once or twice a month, when I am feeling very empty! Enough to keep track, but not enough for it to become a daily obsession. It's only a perceived loss of control anyway -- the real control is what you exercise at every meal. I think your instincts are good -- good luck!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:40 am

In my weightloss-phase: Every 30 days.
In my muscle-gain phase: Every week!

For losing it seems important to wait a while, so you got a solid lost (I lust 4 pounds, yay!"). It motivates.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Whenever I go to the doctor, which is usually once a year.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

automatedeating

Just so you know

Post by automatedeating » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:24 pm

I weigh every morning.......
I want to weigh every morning, so in order to resist this urge I would have another habit to work on, which I'm not ready for yet!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Dale

Post by Dale » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:41 am

I weigh daily. I have several reasons for doing so, one of them being that I just didn't weigh enough when I put on the weight and I regret that now. I'm sure it helps to keep me on track. Funnily enough, I obsess a lot LESS weighing daily as opposed to weekly. It's completely normal for my weight to go up and down from day to day, so I don't get upset if I see an extra pound or two on the scale. Whereas if I weighed weekly, I'd probably be disappointed if I didn't see a loss, or if I saw a gain. Daily weighing makes it less emotive and just part of my daily routine.

I think it's a very personal decision. I don't believe there's a real need to weigh regularly (there are other ways of judging progress), so it's maybe just a case of what's most helpful to the individual.

earl7z

Post by earl7z » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:24 am

You're all very inspiring, thank you.
Dale wrote:I weigh daily.
I think it's a very personal decision.
Agreed. Here's my motivation:

I used to weigh daily when I was on Weight Watchers for years, and then for a while quit weighing daily, and what I discovered then was, I needed a daily number to work with or be proud of or whatever, and I DIDN'T have my daily weight for that, so then the focus for me became my daily ww points. And shifting attention away from weight to points helped me keep within my points a bit better.

In this case, I want to my focus to be my N days, which were getting a bit sloppy.

My S days are not bad, although there's some work do to there.

Thanks again, all.
All you can do is all you can do.

Food doesn't make you fat. Too much food makes you fat.

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:18 pm

I just blogged about this today! For me weighing makes me a bit nuts because my entire mood and motivation begins to hinge on what the scale says. I'm going to weigh again at Christmas to see how four months of No S treats me.

That said it is a temptation to weigh. I wasn't in the habit of it before starting No S so it hasn't been hard to NOT do it, but I admit I'm curious now about whether I'm losing anything yet or not.

Giada

Post by Giada » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:03 am

I weigh daily - something I started doing when I started No-sing. I then record each day's weight in a simple table, and on Sundays work out my average weight for the week. This weekly average is the only figure that matters, not the daily ones. (In fact, I sometimes have to go back to the bathroom to weigh myself again, simply because I'd forgotten my weight during the walk between bathroom and study. :oops: Weighing happens first thing in the morning, before I've had my caffeine kickstart, and nothing I do before that cup of coffee sticks :lol: )

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:40 am

For a lot of the time- probably the first year- I did what Giada does, having picked up the habit about 15 years ago. Since I reached my normal BMI range, I weigh for a week at a time at the turn of the seasons, as you can see in my signature line.

If weighing can ruin your whole day or make you start picking because you think you can afford it, don't do it. But if you can get some distance and just regard it as data, it can be good.

The habits are more important to track, in my opinion.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:43 pm

oolala53 wrote:If weighing can ruin your whole day
or make you start picking because you think you can afford it,
don't do it.
But if you can get some distance and just regard it as data,
it can be good.
Good advice.
Speaking from an 8 year maintenance point-of-view,
I agree that weight-information from the scale is merely data.
I find one day's data to be relatively unimportant, but I weigh every morning
so I can put that data in various charts and graphs which show me weekly and monthly averages.
For me, personally, weekly averages are not as valuable as monthly averages.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:31 am

I have recently gone from daily weighing to monthly because, I too can be rocked by a bad number. Maybe it's a post-WW thing. Anyway, I feel mentally healthier not weighing daily. If I was eating mindlessly or bingeing and avoiding the scale in denial, that would be another story. That is a recipe for weight-creeping disaster. But I am not. I am sticking to a very healthy NoS policy with tame S days. So there is nothing to punish myself about. The habit wins out. Weighing daily tends to cause me to make daily micro-adjustments that I probably do not need to make. One of my goals with NoS is to get away from the daily obsessions with weight and food.
Peace and good luck!
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

tamburello32

Twice per week

Post by tamburello32 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:35 pm

I weigh twice per week ... that's the best method for me. It depends on the person though ... more or less, as long as you are comfortable, that's the method that is good for you.
Weight loss goal : 25.0 pounds within 115 days. I have lost 5.0 pounds within 15 days now. Checking in once or twice per week. ;-) White male, 38 years old.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:40 pm

I weight daily, upon awakening and sometimes after meals to help me assess if I ate too much.

I also maintain a Friday seven day moving average using waking weight.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental