A week's worth of groceries...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

la_loser

A week's worth of groceries...

Post by la_loser » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 am

I think some of you will find this interesting. It's a photo collection of a week's worth of groceries from around the world. Note the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables in some of the displays and the huge amounts of soft drinks and processed foods in others.

http://enpundit.com/week-groceries-around-world/

Just wanted to share.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

jw

Post by jw » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:49 am

An eye-opener, for sure! Thanks for posting this!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

That was fascinating! A little haunting, too...
Eileen

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:10 pm

This one, Hungry Planet: What the World Eats has more examples and tells what the families spent on groceries.

This is not from the book, but we spend a smaller percentage of our income on food that anywhere else in the world.

I was surprised to see so many American brands on foreign tables.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:21 am

The Mongolians and Africans looked the healthiest, but had the least amount stacked around them. As Peter Voss would say: calorie poisoning.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:58 pm

I've been looking at those photo essays for years. The one from a refuge camp in Africa (Chad) always makes me question how much I really need to eat. However, I'm rarely eating when I look at it.

I was surprised by just how much bread and bottled drinks on the Italians' table. I expected to see more packages of pasta. I couldn't tell where there was any protein. I thought there would at least be some fish.

The Germans have so many bottled/packaged beverages! And those kids looked so serious. It looked like the most loaded table to me, but the family was average weight.

And there sure were a lot of packaged items on the Japanese table.

I guess the Mongolians don't hanker for greens much.

Anyway, I don't get tired of looking back at these periodically.

It would be interesting if the essay were extended to include tables from the different socioeconomic strata in some of the countries.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)