Adjusting myself to No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

free

Adjusting myself to No S

Post by free » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:15 am

I'm having trouble adjusting to the 3 meals a day. Any tips? :D :lol:

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 am

What are you doing in between meals? I recommend tea and for the beginning- tea with milk or even a glass of milk or coffee with milk. It will fill you up and now I'm at a point where I don't need them at all.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

jw

Post by jw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 pm

If you are getting too hungry between meals, make sure you eat enough at each meal to tide you over to the next one. It's fine to really fill your plate at the beginning until you develop a feel for how much is needed. Also, I learned a valuable lesson here on these boards: that feeling hunger before the next meal is a good thing, not an emergency! Good luck!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

free

Response

Post by free » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks,

I usually am away for most of the day and am so busy that I barely have time to eat. But then at night, when I'm at home... that's when it gets wild. :( :shock: Yeah, that's why i was wondering.

Thanks jw, your response was really good. Yeah, all this time I was raised with my parents with a snack prepared for me, so I've always thought of hunger as an emergency.

So basically I decided to do No S in order to rid myself of my obsession over food. My irregular eating patterns have also cost me, leading me to pancreatitis. So yeah I think No S is perfect for me:)

Wish Me Luck!!! :P

jw

Post by jw » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Sounds like you're having trouble making yourself eat regularly and then feeling ravenous by the end of the day. If you don't eat at all, you'll be food-obsessed -- it's your survival instinct kicking in, nagging you to "eat, eat!" But eating lots just before bed is hard on your body.

I think once you get in the groove of three solid meals a day, that obsession will settle right down. The meals needn't be a big production, but try to sit down for them for 15 minutes or so -- if you eat on the fly, it doesn't give you time to register that you've eaten and you end up nibbling all day long.

Good luck, free, and a good recovery, too!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Zoid

Post by Zoid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:37 pm

I second the "drink lots of fluids" advice. Water/tea is best, but milk is good if you are really hungry (real hunger, as in dizzy and headache, not just tummy grumbling) .

I agree that you need to make sure you're eating enough at meals, but be careful. I gained instead of losing at first because I was loading down my plates with too much food out of fear of being hungry. I'm still adjusting, but am shocked at how little I actually need to make it to the next meal.

And remember, its impossible to starve in a few hours. You will eat again soon. It will be ok. Sounds corny, but helps me.
Don't let perfect get in the way of better
SAHM to 2 beautiful girls: S (4yo) & E (8m)

5'3" female, 34
SW: 196.0 - BMI: 34.7 - 2/15/21
CW: 191.5 - BMI: 33.9 - 3/31/21

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:40 pm

I hope you can eventually give more than 15 minutes for lunch and definitely for dinner. I often have fruit and a nut butter or some nuts on my plate at dinner, but I often stop after my entree and veggies and just sit doing something else (read, TV- I live alone) for about 10 minutes before I eat my "dessert." Sometimes I even get up and do something, but I don't let that go on too long because I don't want the dessert to be a snack much later after dinner. At least one meal should take 30 minutes. Most slim cultures do not rush meals, but usually eat only one major meal a day that they take more time than we do (certainly even more than 30 minutes) to eat because it's in courses. Take your time! Enjoy every bite! You can extend the pleasure without eating a lot more food.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 pm

I remember when I first did this diet It would be around 4 and gosh I thought I was going to die! but for some reason with time now I don't even think about it. There was a stage of milk or even hot chocolate, but now I don't. I still struggle with snacking late in the evening, but I am working on that.