Butter vs. Margarine

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ZippaDee

Butter vs. Margarine

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:38 am

This is just a general food question. Not necessarily No S related, but thought you all could help. So, I read that post floating around facebook that margarine is actually quite close to the same properties as plastic. ICK! Not sure how much truth there is to what I read. I have eaten margarine all my life. So, I thought I would try butter. It's more natural. So, I bought Land O Lakes Whipped butter in a tub. The taste is good, but it is hard and really not spreadable. :roll: Just wondering if there is another butter I could buy that is more spreadable....like for toast. The soft margarine spreads so nicely. Thanks!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:44 am

butter is so much better for you, I too have read that margarine is plasticy!!
We keep our butter in a butter dish out of the fridge as it's too hard when in the fridge! (we buy the blocks in a foil packet)
Another idea is to put a bit on a plate and microwave it for no longer than 10 seconds and it will be lovely and soft :)
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!

Zoid

Post by Zoid » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Some companies make the "spreadable" butter in tubs. Usually butter with some sort of olive oil or canola oil mixed in. It's pretty good too.

I prefer letting the stick warm up to room temp though.
Don't let perfect get in the way of better
SAHM to 2 beautiful girls: S (4yo) & E (8m)

5'3" female, 34
SW: 196.0 - BMI: 34.7 - 2/15/21
CW: 191.5 - BMI: 33.9 - 3/31/21

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:33 pm

I use butter and I let what is currently in use sit out at room temperature. Given enough time it will get rancid, but I've not had it happen.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:38 am

Thanks a bunch! I will start keeping some at room temperature. :)
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:25 pm

There are some special butter keepers that allow you to keep a few servings out of the fridge and spreadable.

In this type, the butter is in the lid and the bottom part holds water. Water keeps it cooler, but separated from air.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... 0000006044

Most margarines are made of hydrogenated fats. These are to be avoided, if possible.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

la_loser

Butter Keeper

Post by la_loser » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:25 pm

Oohlala, you beat me to it. We've used a butter keeper similar to the one you posted for years. It's a wonderful way to keep your butter nice and soft yet safe for consumption. I usually don't use it in the absolute hottest time of the year, just to be safe though. The suggestion is to change the water every two to three days.

Lots of versions available on Amazon. Guess it's of French origin; geesh, we keep finding positives from there, don't we? And of course, our Oohlala WOULD be the one to suggest it! Oui Oui! :lol:
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:42 am

I am confused...scratching head. :? Where is the water?? hmmmm? This is interesting. Never seen this before. So if the butter is in the lid in this photo....do you turn it upside down to store?? Wouldn't the butter slide out. :lol: I'm really a fairly bright person....I think. :wink:

Diets Don't Work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:47 pm

Yes, you do turn it upside down and the butter doesn't slide out! It's lighter than the water, so the pressure is for it to continue to press up into the "lid." Plus, it stays solid enough against the porcelain to stick to it, like a spoon with butter on it left in a dirty dish with cold water in it will still have the solid butter on it hours later, even if it's upside down. It would take either a lot of water pressure or hot water to get that butter to slide off the spoon. The crock keeps the water cool enough to preserve the butter but it's still soft enough to spread. Neat, huh?

I think I dropped my crock on my concrete floor. End of butter keeper! And I'm not a purist, so I use SmartBeat sometimes. But I used butter out of the freezer last night for soup. It takes me months and months to use a pound of butter.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:27 am

Very cool indeed!! I want one just because of it's uniqueness!! :) Thanks so much!! :D

Diets Don't Work.

noni

Post by noni » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:35 pm

I love the butter keeper! I have to put it away in the hot weather, especially since I don't use the air-conditioner much. Sometimes, even with changing the water every three days, there may be a bit of mold on the butter bell or even the butter. I just take it off and use the butter quickly or refrigerate it. I am still live today to tell you about it :)