Back to Vanilla NoS post pregnancy!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

emj383

Back to Vanilla NoS post pregnancy!

Post by emj383 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Starting about a year ago I had to modify NoS due to terrible nausea that I ended up having most of my pregnancy. Many of the healthful foods I normally love (ie: oatmeal, eggs, spinach) made me sick, unfortunately! I honestly felt sad about it since I wanted to eat those foods but it backfired when I tried. I also couldn't stomach meat and poultry. So most of my diet consisted of fruit and plain things like crackers, bland cereal and milk, along with some nuts/beans. I would add some veggies when I could handle it. I didn't eat a lot of really junky stuff, at least. My one “craving†was actually orange juice, so I would have little shot glasses of it now and then hehe. I learned that sometimes the pH of your saliva changes while pregnant, affecting how things taste, and I think that was definitely the case with me!

As far as modifying NoS, I couldn't eat much at a time, but if my stomach was too empty, I would get really queasy. Given I work full time, I just ate how I needed to in order to survive the day. My doctor told me not to stress about my diet much since I am healthy and to eat what I could keep down and make sure to take my vitamins. Now my baby boy is 4.5 months old and everyone is doing great. The first few months postpartum, I felt ravenous (way more hungry than I felt while pregnant) due to breastfeeding, which I was told is normal. Luckily all food tasted normal again so I ate the healthful foods I have always loved right after delivery. That was a huge relief! I did feel shaky if I went more than a few hours between meals (I tried, and beverages didn't cut it for me), so I had some healthy stuff on hand for snacks and just made sure to avoid "permasnacking."

Now that my milk supply has regulated, my appetite has normalized, as well, so recently I felt ready to switch back to Vanilla NoS. It feels good to be back! I find that going the long stretches between meals (usually 5-6 hours), I have less hunger pangs. I am glad I took it somewhat easy on myself while pregnant and in the early post partum months. I gained a healthy amount of weight while pregnant and have lost most of it without any kind of insane dieting. It’s freeing to be back to “normal†as far as NoS goes – it makes food one less thing to worry about so much. I have been back to work full time since my son turned 8 weeks, so most of my days feel very hectic and I don’t have much downtime. Using the systems of NoS and “14 minutes of anything†is certainly doable, though. The baby doesn't sleep through the night as of yet so I'm a bit slept deprived, but I find caffeine ends up making me really hungry when I crash, and snacks don't give me energy. So I’m just trying to hydrate a lot, move as much as possible (I have a desk job so I try to be conscious of not sitting too much when I can help it) and get as much sleep as I can when the baby isn't needing me! Following these systems helps me get through my crazy week and then I can relax a bit with the rules on the weekend.

Reinhard is the best! :D
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Congratulations, emj383! What wonderful news.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

emj383

Post by emj383 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks! I should say my compliance hasn't been perfect but NoS is still
the best as far as maintaining health and sanity :D
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.