Question about S-days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

When are my S-days?

Saturday, Sunday, plus usual exceptions (Vanilla)
88%
Husband's days off, x2 weekly, plus usual exceptions
8%
Something else (comments please)
4%

Total votes: 25

harpista

Question about S-days

Post by harpista » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:27 am

Hi everyone.

A lot has changed since my last kick at the No-S can. I'm trying again because anything more complex has no room in my life and why did I ever stop doing this, I loved it!? Here's the issue, and I don't really remember it being addressed in the book, nor on here when I was paying attention.

I'm now a stay-at-home mum (yay!), with the worst weight of my entire life (boo!). My husband (yay!) works retail (boo!), which means sometimes three days off a week (yay!), but irregular and irregularly spaced (boo!).

Since we tend to go out and do shopping and fun things on his days off (including eating out), I ask you: should my S-days be the days that he has off work?

That aside, I'm glad to see some familiar names are still floating around in here. :)
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

Dhack

Post by Dhack » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:21 am

Hi Harpista!

I feel your pain but I want to tell you that I have learned to leave s days to saturday and sunday.

I originally used friday and saturday as my s days because those are days that we (over!)eat at my in-law's and using those days as s days was easier. I could indulge guilt-free. I wouldn't have to say "no thanks" to grandma. But, I wasn't flexing my habit/willpower muscles. I wasn't learning how to handle uncomfortable eating situations.

I've since switched to saturday and sunday and i say "no thanks" at grandma's every friday and i'm actually really happy to do it. Just this week i had 5 get togethers(!) and none of them on friday or saturday. This is NOT normal for me. But I stayed on track and didn't declare any nws days. I used a lot of habit/willpower and i am very pleased. I am learning to behave differently at parties and around food in general.

But if you are brand new and you think you'll quit if you can't enjoy food with your family, tie your s days in with hubby's day off and see how it goes. If you feel good go with it. I just felt funny voting without any explanation.

(Sorry I got so wordy/harpy!) ;)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:37 am

The French and Italians pretty much live quite similarly to No S all the time. They don't take days off from their routines just because they have a day off work. That's just our confused culture of restrict, then overeat because we have access to food or it's time to celebrate. There is so much pleasure in their routines, there is no reason to think of it as stopping them from enjoying themselves. They believe there is no real pleasure in eating for entertainment/fun instead of a real appetite. They don't feel they are on a diet. They're not!

Practice believing that you can have fun and pleasure on N days. Besides, S days aren't for overdoing it, just for pressure relief while on the way to basically having N days with reasonable, moderate exceptions.

Do the day-off stuff, sans the sweets and snacks besides sipping an adult cup of coffee -or whatever- for you. And you can still eat out- virtual plating if you have to- on N days. Just not all day.

You'll see. It will fit in! Pleasurably, once you get over the hump.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:01 pm

The reason I voted no to changing your days is because most functions, birthday parties you will be attending I assume will normally be on weekends so that will give you a lot of nws days more then what you would normally have if you had your s days on the weekend

suzella

Post by suzella » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:22 pm

I have a very irregular schedule so it's hard for me to say, "these are my S-days and I'm sticking to it!" I usually take each week as it comes. On Sundays, usually, I look at my schedule for the week and pick which 2 days are going to be my S-days. That way I can enjoy my days off (which are very inconsistent) but still have structure.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:34 pm

oolala53 wrote:The French and Italians pretty much live quite similarly to No S all the time. They don't take days off from their routines just because they have a day off work. That's just our confused culture of restrict, then overeat because we have access to food or it's time to celebrate. There is so much pleasure in their routines, there is no reason to think of it as stopping them from enjoying themselves. They believe there is no real pleasure in eating for entertainment/fun instead of a real appetite. They don't feel they are on a diet. They're not!

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:17 pm

oolala53 wrote:The French and Italians pretty much live quite similarly to No S all the time. They don't take days off from their routines just because they have a day off work. That's just our confused culture of restrict, then overeat because we have access to food or it's time to celebrate. There is so much pleasure in their routines, there is no reason to think of it as stopping them from enjoying themselves. They believe there is no real pleasure in eating for entertainment/fun instead of a real appetite. They don't feel they are on a diet. They're not!
I agree.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:23 pm

I would vote for keeping it to weekends. For one thing, consistency is much more habit friendly. For another, oolala makes a good point which is basically that enjoyment and food do not necessarily have to go together, and the idea that a day with the hubby is less good if you can't snack or eat sweets or seconds reinforces that reliance on food as entertainment.

One "trick" I have is that on N days I generally eat very healthily -- half a plate of freggies and moderate other stuff. I pack my lunch and eat a sensible dinner. I do this for many good reasons, but a bonus thing about it is that when I eat at a restaurant, even fast food, or a mall court, or if I have something special that is not an "S" -- it feels like an S. I had a sub sandwich and chips the other day because I hadn't had time to make lunch, and it felt very naughty. But it wasn't.

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Every time I do try to do roving S Days, and I've tried it quite a few times, it becomes too complicated and I slide away from NoS completely after a while. The reason No S works for me is that it is super uncomplicated - either it is Saturday, Sunday or a holiday or it is not. I need that black and white.