Re-Reading the Book & Habit is King

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MerryKat

Re-Reading the Book & Habit is King

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:33 pm

I have just finished re-reading the No S book (about the 3rd read but not for a couple of years).

It is amazing how each time you read it, different things stand out. For me the thing that stood out is that above all the Habit is King!

If I can maintain the habit even to only the most minimal of compliance, I am moving in a positive direction - Building a lasting habit and at the same time even if I am only doing the minimal, I am doing WAY better than I would otherwise.

FoodAs long as I stick to the 3 meals (not stressing about the content of those meals) I am way ahead of my usual munching non-stop routine. I know what I should be eating and gradually quality will win over quantity, but even if it is a junk meal the important thing is that it is a single meal of three for the day and not a never ending feast from morning to night.

Exercise
14 minutes every N day. Even if it is a super slow, easy routine it is more than I would have been doing otherwise and this has to benefit in the long run.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 pm

On my other board, members are always saying things like, "I got stressed out and didn't have time," implying that it takes a lot of time to plan for food and such. Sure, it does, if you are trying to be on a diet and eat those perfect snacks, etc.

It does not take time NOT to eat! And you are going to have to eat anyway. Don't people have to grocery shop? Even if you don't take time for that, there's going to be food available. If there isn't , and you don't grocery shop, well...

Just put the food you do eat on a plate three times a day, as often as possible. It might be fast food, but there it is. It will likely be very possible most days, if not all. And be honest about what it really takes to get full but hungry for the next meal. I couldn't possibly any more eat a complete fast food meal and get hungry again in a reasonable time for the next meal. If you can, you must be a large enough person to need the calories.

I'm not talking about just wanting to eat. I often still would like to eat even when I'm not hungry. But it's relatively easy to ignore.

I'm still working on my 14 minutes...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:44 am

LOL!!! Oolala you are so right.

We all buy food any way (whether groceries that we use to make meals or fast food) so it should not be an issue.

Breakfast is pretty sorted - I keep oats at work and either have them cooked with milk or cold with yoghurt (by a big tub each week and put in work fridge).

I pack lunch for my hubby and boys daily so making me a sandwich or something is easy - add some fruit and Lunch is taken care of.

Dinner - I do a fair amount of weekend cooking so that the meals are frozen in the deep freeze otherwise, lots of options in store cupboard & freezer.

My three meals a day are basically no problem, my problem always is the snacks (and to a lesser extent the sweets). And Habit! Habit! Habit! will solve those!

I prefer weight bearing exercise to cardio, so I have looked on the internet for various short total body work outs which I am using to get the exercise done. I pick a different one each day - depending on how Gung Ho I am feeling and again Habit! Habit! Habit! will get this ingrained. Much as I dislike the exercise I do feel better afterwards, I sleep better and a fitter body functions better.
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:07 am

Just keep thinking of those wonderful meals when the urge for snacks strikes. Remind yourself you had a meal awhile ago and you will again in a few hours. And maybe have some of the snack foods AT those meals?

Then divert, divert, divert!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Thank you Oolala for your never ending patience & wisdom which you share so freely ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm back again (details on check-in board), and appreciate the reminder to re-read the book!

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Hey KCCC

Welcome Back!!

I can definitely recommend re-reading the book!!! Really refreshed the ideas.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:26 pm

I have to constantly read the book or read the message boards when I am struggling (a lot of the time.) It really does help.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53