All Foods Are REAL

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

All Foods Are REAL

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 am

See below for Beth's great post today at WeightMaven.org
Michelle Allison, the Fat Nutritionist, dislikes the term “real food†and writes today that
“all foods, like all women, are real.†She explains (emphasis hers):
No, this does not mean that all foods are nutritionally equivalent,
or that all foods are good for all people in all situations,
but it does mean that choices around food must be individual,
that all food choices can be valid, depending on the person and the circumstances,
and that universal pronouncements on a food’s relative realness
are not helpful or, well…real.

“Real food†is not a real thing.
Because what constitutes food is too many things.
I’m as guilty as the next “real foodie†of thinking that there is a meaningful difference between a tomato and a Twinkie,
but it’s probably worth keeping in mind that at the end of the day (no matter how long it will live on your shelf),
a Twinkie is actually food and not everyone wants, needs, or can afford to eat like a caveman or like Michael Pollan.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 am

Living without fast food or some convenience food just isn't worth it to me yet. Maybe it will be some day.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:24 am

Absolutely!!

To me this is in the same category as "Good" & "Evil" food!

Thanks for sharing Bright Angel
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:45 pm

I've always thought that the body processes macro nutrients (protein, carbs, fats) and micro nutrients (vitamins, minerals) equally whether they come from evil or saint foods.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:15 am

Jethro I have been taught that as well, I was on another diet sight and there were always heated discussions about this. Somebody would start preaching about chemicals n foods and another person would retort that technically everything is a chemical. Like water, water is a chemical and people would batter each other with scientific studies.
an interesting observation for me was that some of the buffest people ( at least according to profile pics) were people who reveled in things like pop tart ice ream sandwiches. They lots of healthy things too, but a few times a week you would see things that would make Michael Pollen clutch his pearls. Often times the people who made the biggest deal about clean, foods either had lots of weight to lose, or after reading their posts you start to realize they have an unhealthy relationship with food. There are of course exceptions on both sides. But the happiest of the posters eat junk in moderation.
I am training for a marathon, not a sprint!
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:00 am

Don't get me on "super food".

Just a thought.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:25 am

I so agree!! I love Ellyn Satter's view on food. She's so sensible and moderate. http://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

jw

Post by jw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Agreed that anything we eat is food -- but remember "The Men Who Made Us Fat?" Moderation with some intensely flavor-enhanced manufactured foods is really, really difficult for me -- as in the old potato chip commercial, "you can't eat just one!" Some foods are engineered to take us into excess.

If you overeat cherries, you get a bellyache and never do it again. If you overeat potato chips, it's not enough to make you sick, not enough to satisfy your appetite, and you do it over and over!

Cherries are food and potato chips are food and I love both. But I have to be really careful with the potato chips.
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:48 pm

Well written JW.
Good discussion
I am training for a marathon, not a sprint!
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:36 pm

I think what people mean by real food is food that is grown and was living (breathed, ate, and grew). Fake foods have ingredients that are mined or occasionally synthesized in a lab.

When you get down to the atomic level there isn't much difference. But as we know what mattes is often as much the how as it is the what.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Blithe Morning wrote: But as WE know,
what matters is ....
Like my husband sometimes says to me....
when I assume that my personal beliefs are Universal ...
... applying to him, and to everyone else whose opinion I value,

"WE"... you mean you and that mouse in your pocket?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:05 am

not everyone wants, needs, or can afford to eat like a caveman or like Michael Pollan.
I'm not sure if she's saying that to eat like Michael Pollan eats is expensive or if the way he suggests eating is expensive. I think eating lots of locally sourced, organic foods can be quite expensive. However, the way Pollan suggests eating "eat food, not too much, mostly plants" seems similar to la cucina povera or the way some of the people featured in Hungry Planet: What the World Eats eat. Those who were spending the least were eating the way Pollan suggests.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:55 pm

You can see a copy of the ENTIRE original article here:

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v& ... =Real_Food

alice2002

Post by alice2002 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:32 am

Loved that article!!