New here...fears! Help please

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alice2002

New here...fears! Help please

Post by alice2002 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:49 am

Hi,

I just found out about this diet, and it sounds very doable long term. My biggest fear is that I'm currently doing Trim Healthy Mama, and have been sticking to it for 10 days now (pathetic I know, but that's excellent for me) and I'm hitting new low numbers on the scale. I have about 20-25 lbs to lose and I'm afraid that if I switch over now, I'll see that number go UP initially. I've been sugar free off and on for the past 5 months (LOTS of off time), and now 10 days straight I've been "good". If I add it back in, on S days, I'm afraid of what will happen! But I know I could live on this diet very well...just worried about seeing that number go up.

Would appreciate some insight and encouragment! Thanks!

Also...what does vanilla mean?

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:53 pm

There's NO NEED to add sugar back in on S days... or even eat extra food.

S days simply mean 2 days a week without the N day rules -- YOUR food behavior choices without restriction.
On S days if you choose to eat sweets, snacks or extra food you aren't breaking the Diet,
and doing this is acceptable ... SOMETIMES.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Re: New here...fears! Help please

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:50 pm

alice2002 wrote:Hi,

I just found out about this diet, and it sounds very doable long term. My biggest fear is that I'm currently doing Trim Healthy Mama, and have been sticking to it for 10 days now (pathetic I know, but that's excellent for me) and I'm hitting new low numbers on the scale. I have about 20-25 lbs to lose and I'm afraid that if I switch over now, I'll see that number go UP initially. I've been sugar free off and on for the past 5 months (LOTS of off time), and now 10 days straight I've been "good". If I add it back in, on S days, I'm afraid of what will happen! But I know I could live on this diet very well...just worried about seeing that number go up.

Would appreciate some insight and encouragment! Thanks!

Also...what does vanilla mean?
Bright Angel is right about S days. However, if you let yourself have a treat and don't go wild, having sugar on S days shouldn't be a problem. It's not what you do now and then that matters.

I've never heard of Trim Healthy Mama. But chances are when you reach your goal and go "off" the diet, you'll regain at least some of the weight you lost. You may lose more slowly on No-S and you might gain a little initially, but what you do to lose the weight is what you do to maintain the weight loss. This is something that can be done for life, not until you lose "x" amount of pounds.

Vanilla means No-S as written, without any modifications.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

alice2002

Post by alice2002 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:13 pm

I know I don't NEED to add in sugar...but I would feel very deprived if I didn't, but at least it's in moderation! Thanks for the responses!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:34 pm

If you don't weigh, you won't know.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:09 am

You are on a diet where you're losing weight fast, 10-day roll -- and you're looking around for another diet. That tells me you feel like you can't keep it up.
No S is something you can do indefinitely and it gets easier as you go along. The trade-off is the weight loss is slow and you may regain a few pounds at the beginning. It's not primarily about how much you weigh, though -- it's about building good habits. The weight loss is secondary and just sort of happens!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

alice2002

Post by alice2002 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:49 am

I've actually been on it for about 5 months...with lots of off days. :) But I just didn't see eating this way forever. But the No S? I very certain I can keep this up! I can feel normal and eat what the rest of my family is eating, which is less stressful.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Alice,

Welcome to NoS then :) . Could you tell us a bit more about yourself so that we can help more? because I too was wondering about what hasn't been working with the diet you've been on so far, that made you do some more online research & come across NoS? It would be useful I think to have this info as we can then help you more specifically with your NoS progress... as lots of us--if not all of us--have also gone through various diets over the years.
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

alice2002

Post by alice2002 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Ok...here's some more detail.

I had a baby in March, and had a lot of weight to lose (baby #4). Trim Healthy Mama is pretty much a low carb diet, but it's a very confusing, time intensive plan to learn and impliment. And some of the ingredients are costly. All through the summer, I stayed on it M-F, and did whatever on the weekends (similiar to this!), and I lost about 6 lbs a month when I did that. I took about 6 weeks off when we sold our house and moved...way too much on my mind to worry about my meals.

I was finally able to get 10 days in a row under my belt, but I just don't see living with this long term. I want to eat dinner with my family...and not have to think, think, think about food and how much, and blah blah blah! I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about! :)

I stumbled upon the No S Diet, and decided to look it up. I loved the simplicity of it, and that I could feel normal again with my eating. I am currently 151 this morning, and my goal is to be 130. I'm 5'5", so that's a good goal for me.

And if I am understanding it correctly (I still need to order the book), it sounds like the S days will eventually take care of themselves. That even if I splurge "too much" on sweets (LOVE sugar) that over time I will start to balance more without feeling like I'm depriving myself. Is that right? I was reading past posts, and I'm pretty sure that is what people were saying.

I'm honestly fine with losing slowly if I don't feel like I'm dieting, and can do this from here on out. I'm very excited!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 pm

I also had a baby in March, and I know what Trim Healthy Mama is! I haven't tried it, but it looked hard!

I am able to combine a portion control system along with No S, and it seems to be working for me. It also has resulted in much faster weight loss than Vanilla No S. If Vanilla No S works for you, then you don't need anything else! But Vanilla No S wasn't enough for me, I needed to make Mods.

My blog is here

http://countyourbites.blogspot.com/ The first blog post tells all how it works, I just do 3 meals a day along with counting my bites. I use an app called Eat Slower Pro that counts my bites as I eat and also helps me eat slower.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

alice2002

Post by alice2002 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:39 pm

When was your baby born? Mine was on the 10th.

For breakfast today I had a bowl of cereal, a 1/4 of an apple and about 1/2 a banana. I was full and satisfied. Yesterday I was good as well. Making sure my meals are satisifying...but not huge.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:46 pm

My baby was born on the 1st of March, her due date! Kayla Ann
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:20 am

Stick with what you feel you can do permanently. And please think about what effect it will have on your children to see Mom eat so differently from the rest of the family. Resolve to eat moderately and sanely so they will, too. Moms deserve to enjoy a variety of foods...in moderation.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:05 am

herbsgirl wrote:I also had a baby in March, and I know what Trim Healthy Mama is! I haven't tried it, but it looked hard!

I am able to combine a portion control system along with No S, and it seems to be working for me. It also has resulted in much faster weight loss than Vanilla No S. If Vanilla No S works for you, then you don't need anything else! But Vanilla No S wasn't enough for me, I needed to make Mods.

My blog is here

http://countyourbites.blogspot.com/ The first blog post tells all how it works, I just do 3 meals a day along with counting my bites. I use an app called Eat Slower Pro that counts my bites as I eat and also helps me eat slower.
I just read your blog. The count your bite concept sounds very interesting.