Save Room for Dessert

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

finallyfull

Save Room for Dessert

Post by finallyfull » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Another old catch phrase that's out of style, and I think I am getting it.

I used to wait until I was hungry (okay, just not really full) in order to have a treat. I'd have it a couple hours after dinner, or mid-afternoon. I now see that this allowed me to eat my full meals, and eat full sized sweets. I didn't have a problem with this until my weight crept up. But now that I'm tapering S days to "sometimes" (after nearly a year) I see the value of having desserts right after a meal, if at all. And I can see that I actually need to SAVE room! Because if I don't, then I am overstuffed and very unhappy.

Save room in my meal, save room in my clothes. Sounds good to me. :)

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:23 am

This is what I have been doing too! I also it helps keep the three meals formula consistent. I have such a bad late night eating habit I try not to eat after dinner NO MATTER WHAT!
I am training for a marathon, not a sprint!
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:32 am

All very true.

What I find particularly interesting in your post, and I suppose it's linked to the overall value of NoS for me, which is why I keep returning to it, is the fact that it took you over a year of successful NoS to realise what works best for you in terms of dessert (eg after meals / leaving room). This sort of experiential knowledge about eating can't be forced or rushed...which is what I'm gradually starting to learn.
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:56 pm

"experiential knowledge" -- yes, that's what I've gained this past year. I've learned lots of theoretical stuff, but never have I spent a year "watching" myself and how I operate. That's what's been great about vanilla. I have thought of and resisted tweaks (because of my experiential knowledge of many, many unplanned departures from No S) and found out many things first hand. Looking forward to marking a full year.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:26 am

This is why strict dieting doesn't work very often. People try to force themselves to be satisfied with imposed foods and limits with no real room for much relief if it seems too difficult. With No S, if you're honest, you learn over time what really satisfies.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)