New here and new to No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sneaky Snooper

New here and new to No S

Post by Sneaky Snooper » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:47 pm

I don't know if it's protocol to do a newbie introduction here but I figured I would give it a go. I'm sure my weight loss/gain story is similar to most peoples so I'll skip that :lol:

I tried No Sing last spring and failed for a multitude of reasons. I started up again about 3 weeks ago and have been successful - by that I mean I haven't "cheated". I haven't lost a significant amount of weight - but I feel the decisions I've made are getting better.

For example I planned to make this weekend a 3 day "S day" weekend - no reason other than my family is gone for the weekend. Friday is my weigh in day so I weighed in before heading out to McDonald's for breakfast.

The scale hasn't moved in a week - and I had a :idea: moment. I'm only cheating *myself* when I cheat. So I stayed in and had cereal.

TL;DR - I'm new and feeling good about a decision I made

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Welcome, SS -- this board is a great place to document your progress and get support. Three successful weeks behind you is a fantastic start! and kudos on the decision -- we've got plenty of extra S days ahead this month and next. Good luck!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Zoid

Post by Zoid » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Hello and welcome!

I had a long time of being compliant (only three meals a day) but still not losing. The key for me to losing on No S is to be hungry before my next meal. If I'm not, then I'm still eating too much.
Don't let perfect get in the way of better
SAHM to 2 beautiful girls: S (4yo) & E (8m)

5'3" female, 34
SW: 196.0 - BMI: 34.7 - 2/15/21
CW: 191.5 - BMI: 33.9 - 3/31/21

Sneaky Snooper

Post by Sneaky Snooper » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:42 pm

That's really good advice and probably why I failed last spring. I had been eating off a small plate for years to help with portion control but when I started No Sing I moved up to a big plate and loaded it up. Which was not helpful as you can imagine.

This go around I'm sticking with my small plate. I've lost 3lbs in the 3 weeks I've been doing this (although 2 of those were in the first week), but I haven't gained so I'm calling it a win.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:36 pm

I assume you also feel the meals on those smaller plates are satisfying.

The more solid your habits are before the holidays, and the more you feel committed to them right through to the end of December without feeling that you're making a terrible sacrifice, the better you'll feel on Jan. 1, even if you don't lose a lot. The next seven weeks can be a difficult time to lose, though it is possible.

My first year, I had three perfect weeks before Thanksgiving, but fell off and didn't get back on until the next August. Then fell again until the end of that December. I guess it took all that to get determined enough and to realize that this is a perfectly fair, reasonable, and even delightful way to eat and live. The sooner that becomes real, the better!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)