Any tips for a newcomer?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alice2002

Any tips for a newcomer?

Post by alice2002 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Today is my second N day...and so far so good. I'm really looking forward to the weekend, though! Anyone else LOVE sweets, and go overboard at first? I'm guessing that is what will happen, and the last thing I want to do is stress on my S days about that.

Any tips for someone in their first week? I've ordered the book, but haven't read it yet. I'm just goin by what I read online and here in this group.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Alice, welcome! I don't even have that much of a sweet tooth, but I went out shopping for S day treats and really took advantage the first two months! That settles down for most of us eventually -- don't feel guilty in your first weeks or try to monitor your Ses too much! Just enjoy them!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:24 pm

It's safe to say that nearly everyone has gone overboard on sweet (or salty) snacks on S days initially -- and many still do. Don't worry about the S days. Concentrate on building the N day habits.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:47 am

Try to not expect things to happen fast. You can't predict weight loss on No S. Try not to micromanage. No S works by helping to reduce the appetite. No one can tell how much and how fast yours changes.

I've been around for nearly 4 years. I can't tell you how many people have left because they felt they weren't losing fast enough, only to return a year later sorry they ever gave up.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

leafy_greens

Re: Any tips for a newcomer?

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:47 pm

alice2002 wrote:Today is my second N day...and so far so good. I'm really looking forward to the weekend, though! Anyone else LOVE sweets, and go overboard at first? I'm guessing that is what will happen, and the last thing I want to do is stress on my S days about that.

Any tips for someone in their first week? I've ordered the book, but haven't read it yet. I'm just goin by what I read online and here in this group.
I've been at No S off and on for a couple of years and almost always "go overboard" each weekend. I'm not proud of it, but my weight is usually stable because of the N days, so I don't beat myself up over the weekends. For me, any No S compliance is better than no No S compliance. Some people choose to be more strict though.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

joasia

Post by joasia » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:32 pm

It's not a race - the faster it comes off, the faster it comes back
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin