Are protein shakes allowed on n days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Healthiermum

Are protein shakes allowed on n days

Post by Healthiermum » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:17 am

2-3 days a week I will do strenuous excercise for about 2 hours and have read that you should be having some protein after an hour of excercising. For example on Friday I'm going to be doing a body pump class and then going on a 2.5 kilometer uphill hiking trail and also includes 1000 steps. Would it be okay to have a protein shake(just powder and water) in between or are they considered something that is for s days only

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:51 am

Since I don't like milk, I used a protein mix when I needed something to tide me over when afternoons get really long and I'm famished. I also add a scoop of protein powder to my smoothie (fruit and water) for breakfast most mornings.

The research shows that chocolate milk makes a really good post workout drink if you have worked out vigorously for an hour or more as you do need to replace carbs. To control the sweetness, just use milk and teaspoon or two of syrup to make the drink rather than buy pre-sweetened. This would be the same as adding a packet or two of sugar to your coffee and is within the perimeter of No S boundaries.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm not sure there's any scientific validity to the idea that you need more protein. Most of us already eat more protein than we need. In the past, people worked strenuously all day and they didn't consume extra protein.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:04 am

I was just told by the personal trainers to have protein after body pump because you are lifting weights to help repair muscles quicker after the workout whether it's food or a shake. Plus because I'm doing two one hour workouts in a row I need something to fuel me for the second workout so because we can't snack in between meals that's why I wanted to see whether it would be okay to have a protein shake after my body pump class

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:56 am

you are an exercise queen! :) Keep inspiring me, maybe I'll get off the couch......!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:37 am

I wasn't always like this I was totally a couch potato then started hiking about 2 months ago and gym about a month ago. It helps if you have someone to go with you so if you don't go you feel like you are letting the other person down. Also once I started I started to become a little addicted to it lol

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:03 am

Brad Pilon, a body builder and proponent of intermittent fasting, routinely does workouts lifting quite heavy weights even on days he fasts. He scoffs at the idea that a person should be eating in order to work out or recover from working out.

Personal trainers are in the business of believing and getting other people to believe that you should be doing the workout that gets you the most muscle for the least amount of time, if building muscle is your supposed goal. But it's a red herring, in my opinion. I got sidetracked for years thinking that bodybuilders were the experts at fat loss. But you have to be VERY motivated to follow their regimes for the long run.

The most efficient workout is the one that is easiest to maintain, and a short workout done almost daily is the easiest habit to maintain. You might build more muscle now by using a trainer's protocol, including shakes, but the likelihood that you will still be doing that 2 or 3 years from now is low.

I'll be even more outrageous and say that unless you are a serious athlete, tailor your workout to No S, and let the chips fall where they may, not the other way around. People who depend on tough, long workouts to maintain their weight face a tough time when they get tired of those long workouts, and most do. Learn to eat moderately, consistently, and do the same with exercise. Those two will serve you for decades. And have fun hiking and such, if you are enjoying it. But don't depend on them for fitness.

However, if you still want to know, officially, a protein shake is more of a food than a beverage. If you need something for hunger, I vote for milk.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

keep on going NMW

Post by keep on going NMW » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:28 pm

I have kiefer after a strenuous work out. I don't know if it's allowed officially but I keep it consistent 140 calories and about 13 grams of protein.
I am training for a marathon, not a sprint!
Start weight 179
Dec 17 2013..177.8

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:17 pm

I used to work in a gym - just so you know PT's get a commission on shakes and other products.

That said, I think it really comes down to: whatever works for you! Try it with the shakes and if it doesn't work you can still lose them. Or the other way around. I think it's great that you're keeping fit!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:54 am

If you need something to eat because you dizzy, nauseating after working out, by all means eat or drink something. But don't do it, just because you or someone else believe you should.

When i started working out, i needed a shake after each workout. But it only took a short time, for the body to adapt and the "Bonus-Meal" became obsolete.

If you are into serious bodybuilding the plus on protein may be necessary, but if you just want to be lean and fit: 3 normal meals are good enough.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:46 am

Thanks guys for your responses. No definitely not into the body building just looking to tone up more then anything and I enjoy working out. I so maybe an hour work outs 5 times a week maybe once a week I'll do a class then a hike as mentioned but definetely not every day. I have done the pump class without any extra protein/food afterwards and felt fine afterwards and the next day so I think you guys are right that you don't really need it. Thanks for all your replies