Another scale question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alice2002

Another scale question

Post by alice2002 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:53 pm

I wondering if there is any reason why I should continue to weigh myself? I've officially been on No S for a full week, and I'm up 2/10ths of a lb...so basically I'm the same. However, last Friday's weigh in, I had dropped another 2 lbsor so, so I'm assuming that I will be at least a lb higher from my weight Friday. (Friday is when I track my "official" week).

Part of me thinks I should just give the scale a break and not even look at it over the holiday season. Just to stay focussed on my habits and getting a good handle on my N days.

But I wondering if there is any danger that I'll gain weight..and not know it, and therefore can't try to "correct" it. Thoughts?

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm sure you'll know it if you put on weight. Even though I'm one of those people who find it useful to weigh myself each day, I think in your situation it's probably much wider to give the scales a break--say, for a month--and see how you do with really giving NoS a good go.
Restarting NoS (after going back & forth over the last 4 years) in November 2013.

GOAL: to lose 10 kilos.
HAVE ACHIEVED SO FAR: 1.6 kilo

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:53 am

I don't weigh myself, I just go off my clothes, it's been a good way for me :D
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!

alice2002

Post by alice2002 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:35 pm

:( Up 2 lbs from last Friday. And that's not usual for me. My weight doesn't vary that much day to day.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:13 pm

clarebear wrote:I don't weigh myself, I just go off my clothes, it's been a good way for me :D
That's what I do, too, in addition to the yearly weigh-in at the doctor's office.

Alice, many people gain a little weight initially and there are many reasons for it. Over indulgent S days, putting too much food on plates on N days to stave off hunger, eating foods formerly "forbidden" and so on.

Your initial idea to focus on the habits and get a good handle on N days is a good one.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

alice2002

Post by alice2002 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:43 pm

I was worried only going by my clothes, since that would be a larger amount gained before I'd notice. I think I'll stick to once a week for now. That way I can catch it if it goes up even a little.

Thanks for responding!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Weighing myself in the past never helped me "catch" it, but I weighed for years anyway. If it does you, without sending you into a panic, go ahead. In the beginning, I continued to weigh every day and average it once a week. Now I weigh that same way for a week at a time, but only at the change of each season. Okay, I'll step on the scale once in awhile in between. I'll admit I get a little more careful about my meals and S days as I get closer to official reports.

However, I find that if I let my mod of trying to be hungry for my meals, meaning I eat lightly enough so that I will be legitimately hungry for the next meal, it's as effective if not more than a scale. And fits my ideal of how I was meant to live more.

So, I agree. It's personal.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:45 pm

I've been on NOS for 3 years and so far lost 70lb.

During this time I've had numerous plateaus. Each plateau usually includes a 5-10 lb. gain, but eventually the body responds and I've broken the plateau.

Thus, I no longer panic when I'm on a plateau. I just make sure I'm following NOS correctly and keep focusing on the habits.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental