an earest, but half assed attempt

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Crafty

an earest, but half assed attempt

Post by Crafty » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Not that I really need to but I am trying to lose about 5 - 10 lbs. Mostly, I'm finally getting married soon, been engaged for two years, and I really wanna cut down before so I look good in all the pictures and later that night too ;)
I've been doing good on low snacking, no sweets, lots of protein and low carbs, fruit and veggies and as salt aware as I can be.

Problem: seconds. Thursday I ate the whole box of spaghetti. Yes, Kelly ate he normal portion but I ate 6 out 7 servings that were in there. Whole. Wheat. Needless the say, Friday was unpleasant.

I also ate a massive gyro and fries, and have a tendency to finish Kelly's plate when she is done. Trying to be better but with the stress eating picking up where the self control is trying to leave off, I'm getting little progress. Also, getting married two days after thanksgiving is not helping, so I'm trying to get as far a head of it as I can.

Tips or encouragement?
Sometimes anti-social, always anti-fascist.

jw

Post by jw » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:07 pm

No S is a great strategy for sane eating for the long haul -- not so great for short-term, want-it-right-now weight loss, though. Your wedding is only 7 days away and you want to lose 5-10 pounds. I've been losing steadily and happily following No S, and it took me 2 and a half months to lose 10 pounds. Eat what you want, as much as fits on your plate, three times a day, leave the snacks, and sweets and Kelly's plate alone, and do that five days a week long-term, and you'll see weight loss. But probably not in time for the wedding!

Since you don't really need to lose, why not just enjoy the day? Congratulations!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Crafty

Post by Crafty » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm actually about 3 or 4 weeks in at this point. I've done about half of what I want but it's the last week sliding backwards that's my real issue.

I'm not looking for a quick fix. Mostly it has really worked for me, I just wanted to know if anyone had advice on how best to stay sane on the portion control side of the system.

I'm also one of it seems the very few left on the other side of this site. Personally coming up on two year anniversary of shugging. Need to buy another hammer soon.
Sometimes anti-social, always anti-fascist.

jw

Post by jw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:03 am

I misunderstood, Crafty -- didn't realize you were already on board! I think the best secret to portion control is to give yourself good, substantial portions the first time around -- and then, close the kitchen. Seconds are non-negotiable.

It's a stressful time -- holidays, wedding day -- so it should be possible to keep busy and keep food off your mind! Best of luck!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:35 am

With all due respect, it seems to me you are turning No S into a diet, and the predictable pendulum swing is happening. You would be less likely to be eating multiple portions of pasta if you weren't being so restrictive in your meals the rest of the time, I'd guess.

If you don't need to lose weight, then try to back off a little. It may happen anyway, but not likely before your wedding. You will look great! Don't succumb to the cultural pressure to fit some ideal.

Losing weight for events is often the beginning of yoyo dieting. Consider yourself lucky to have found a good person to marry, and be content with the body you have right now. After all, she agreed, right? I doubt that 5-10 lbs. is going to make that much of a difference for her. Would you want her to be worrying about something like that at this stage? I hope not. Give yourself some slack.

Besides, you're a shugging machine! That's gotta count for a lot.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)