First day

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Francophile

First day

Post by Francophile » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:32 am

Ok guys, it's my first day on the diet. I had breakfast at 9am a bowl of steel cut oats and an apple and I'm really hungry and tired. I wanted to have lunch at 1 but now I think I will have it at 12:30. I plan to have dinner at 6pm. How can I avoid feeling so hungry/tired/grumpy? Also, I'm vegetarian so I can never really eat something that's 100% protein which apparently is what keeps people full

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:07 am

I'm not a vegetarian, but my diet leans that way. For breakfast, i always add walnuts to my steel cut oatmeal to add some good fats and protein. If I'm really hungry, I'll add a hardboiled egg. Maybe try that and see if it helps?
Last edited by GraceW on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:25 am

You're going to feel hungry, if you were in the habit of eating at a particular time and stop doing that. But you should know that feeling hungry isn't an emergency that you have to do something about right now. You're not going to go from overweight to starving to death in a few hours, assuming you have a normal metabolism. Feeling hungry (again, for people with a normal metabolism, ask a doctor if you don't have one of those) is unpleasant, yes, but it's not that unpleasant. It's something you can live with.

Try to distract yourself. You don't want to be thinking about eating all the time, because that will make you want to eat (most food ads work on this principle).

Don't look for a food-based solution to all problems. If you're tired, can you have some coffee (beverages are not snacks), take a walk, or take a nap? If you're stressed, can you reread a favorite book, play a favorite video game, or take a hot bath? Not all problems can or should be solved by eating.

Was that a fairly normal breakfast for you pre-No-S? Don't try to cut down on your eating beyond the No S rules of no snacks, no sweets, and no seconds (not while you're new to No S, anyway). Making major changes to what you were eating (other than avoiding sweets) when you're new to No S is also not a great idea. Don't try to tackle all of your bad eating habits at once. Divide and conquer. Work on a few (three or less) habits at one time. In the beginning of No S, the three habits you're working on are not snacking, not eating sweets, and not eating seconds. That's enough fronts to fight on at one time. You will want to wait at least a month, probably longer, before trying to tackle any other bad eating habits.

No S can work for someone who is vegetarian or mostly vegetarian. I keep kosher. That means eating meat is a bit of a pain, so I don't do it very often (and almost never at breakfast, my stomach generally isn't up to breakfast meats early in the morning).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:03 am

I don't mean to be presumptuous, but are you sure you're were really hungry in the morning? When I first started, and for years before that, I found that I often had the desire to eat within the first three hours after a meal, but I discovered that that wasn't actually hunger. I called it hunger, but it wasn't. It was just a desire to eat. Real hunger is different. On NO S, I found that if I could get past three hours, my non-hunger desire for food decreased or even went away. Then an hour or two after that, I started feeling real hunger, and then it would soon be time for a meal, most days.

Also, before No S, on good days, when I wasn't just bingeing, I would have breakfast around 6 a.m., because I had to start work at 7:30 a.m., and because it was recommended, a snack around 10:30. Then lunch, then another snack. When I first started No S, I included in my breakfast about half of what I would have had in my morning snack , and half of the afternoon snack at lunch time. I got pretty full from these meals, but they helped me at first. As time went on, I needed less and less, so that now, years later, many of my meals are even smaller than they were before No S. (I didn't tend to eat big meals, but to binge.)

But tolerating those non-hunger urges to eat and even real hunger are valuable to learn to do. All slim cultures expect to feel hunger and to tolerate it until meal time. They also understand there will be emotional hunger, and that that should be avoided in favor of meals, too.

In any case, have a great S day on Thanksgiving, if you live in the States.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jw

Post by jw » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Welcome and Happy Thanksgiving! If you are in the USA and tofurkey is on the menu today, you'll get plenty of protein!

Seriously, make sure your plate includes beans and lentils and soy products with your grains for adequate protein, dairy and egg as well if you're ovo-lacto veg. Other things that can make plates more filling: dried fruits, nuts, nut butters, tahini.

Any style of eating can fit into No S -- No S is a matter of setting reasonable limits on when and how much you eat, not what you eat. Best of luck!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:42 pm

I agree that hunger is NOT an emergency.

If you're not vegan, you can include dairy products and eggs for more protein. Fat is also essential in keeping hunger at bay. Don't fear fat. For me, fat is at least equally as important as protein in staving off hunger.

I'm not a huge fan of oats as a breakfast food, but April Bloomfield's Porridge has almost made a convert out of me. I dislike oatmeal so much that I don't know why I tried it, but it's delicious. (I think Luisa Weiss has a way of making food sound tempting and tasty.) I cut the recipe in half, cook it with whole milk and add a pat of butter at the end (by the way, I reduce the salt, but don't eliminate it). It keeps me going for hours.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Francophile

Post by Francophile » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips. I did not feel as hungry between lunch at 12:30 and dinner at 8:30. I can think of two reasons for this. One, I was at work so too occupied to think about food. Also, I kept sipping on warm lemon and honey juice to try and get rid of a really persistent cough. In fact I'm not even sure I've been good today given that I must have had at least 4 tbsps of honey between meals.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Francophile, Reinhard says to do what we feel we need to do on days we feel sick, so your honey tea is fine. Unless you are just kidding yourself about why you drink it, consider yourself compliant
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:37 am

wosnes wrote:I agree that hunger is NOT an emergency.
There are people who would like you to think it is. A lot of these people are financially involved with companies that make or sell food, especially snack foods (or are repeating what they have heard from someone who is).

Aprilsparrow

Re: First day

Post by Aprilsparrow » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:55 am

What has really helped me is drinking lot's of water and distracting myself when I start thinking about eating. Make sure when you have a plate of food your putting enough on your plate (without going overboard) that will keep you full until the next meal. For me it took about 12 tries before I got a handle on the No S Diet but each time I failed I learned something new that is helping me succeed now. Hope that helps. You can do it!!