What is binging?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

automatedeating

What is binging?

Post by automatedeating » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:00 pm

I hear many people on these boards say that they binge. I have googled a bit on it, and I still don't quite know how to tell "overeating" from binging. Is it defined by overeating in secret? Overeating until you throw up? Overeating standing up? Overeating in a timeframe of 15 minutes?

Again, what separates overeating from binging? I guess I'm looking for your personal opinions, because I have been looking it up and see that it is poorly defined by the medical/nutrition communities.

So actually I have two questions:
1. What is binging?
2. What separates a bad habit of overeating from an addiction that may need professional help to be adequately dealt with?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:30 pm

For me binging is basically stuffing everything in my mouth and feeling like I have no control like I'm possessed . Overeating for me is different as that's just eating too much at a meal etc but with overeating I feel in control and just choose to eat more then I need because food tastes good and don't want to stop or I only realize I have over eaten afterwards. When I binge I feel so hungry and nothing seems to fill me up so I just stuff myself uncontrollably trying to get full.
Last edited by Healthiermum on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Thank you automatedeating for asking that question and Helenaz123 for answering it.

Helenaz123, if pressed to define bingeing, that's how I would have defined it. I've read some posts where people say they've binged, but it doesn't sound like what I would call bingeing. Overeating, certainly, but not bingeing, not only in the amount of food consumed, but making a choice to consume it as opposed to out of control eating.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Dhack

Post by Dhack » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:46 pm

I agree with both comments but I'd like to add that in my case bingeing has a very negative effect on my mood. Or maybe the negative feeling (depression, hoplessness, loneliness, etc.) is what triggers it. I don't know the hows or whys but I know that awful feeling that is associated with my bingeing separates it from overeating. Also I want to add binge anxiety is another yucky feeling that I associate with bingeing and not with overeating. Binge anxiety is like a primative feeling I get before, during and after a binge.

I "pigout" here and there and,while I'm not proud of it, I don't have too many emotions about it.

As for needing professional help, I think it's up to the individual.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 am

Overeating is when we eat a little extra of things..Binging to me is when I'm totally full already and the binge starts with eating one thing to consuming a day's worth or more of calories and u know you r doing it and zoned out.or starts out as mini snacks to full blown binge..then when it is all over you come out of the zone and think I can't believe I did that...and feel defeated and maybe thoughts start on purging...which I have tried but it hurt too much...the volume of food is immense and the feelings that follow aren't very nice...

Some other good comments here too..

As for addiction, addiction hurts others and can ruin ones life...I don't think overeating should be equated with addiction. We all may have our favorite candy that we say we r addicted to, but is this a real life addiction I tend to think not..but others may think differently. Others I've heard say is more disordered eating, but not addiction.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Interesting.

For me the main characteristic of bingeing is:

a vicious cycle of restricted eating followed/preceeded by a period of compulsive/obsessive overeating.

I think overeating can feel just as horrible but is more chronic and stable while bingeing is compulsive and alternates with obsessive restriction.

NoS for me changed my bingeing by first taking away the guilt from overeating on S days and that changed my compulsive overeating to just overeating. Now I'm very happy with my S days. I still overeat occasionally but I don't compulsively do so anymore, I just do it because I'm enjoying the food and stop much earlier than I would have done before.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:48 pm

I binge.

I know the diffference, FOR ME, between bingeing and overeating.

I may overeat on Christmas Day for example, when I'm eating the tradtional English Christmas Lunch. That may trigger a binge - because overeating often does seem to trigger me - but the meal itself will simply be overeating. It's overeating because I feel 'normal' and calm and in control and may even joke with friends about how I can manage just one more slice of turkey even though I'm stuffed.

For me, a binge is when I'm alone, and feeling out of control. I almost feel drugged and not aware. During a binge I don't feel full, I just want/need more food. I don't binge to the point of vomiting.

So overeating for me is something conscious. A binge feels almost primeval and like it's not 'me' doing it.

As for professional help, I've tried a few different approaches and therapists and nothing has worked very well for me.
I don't know how to stop it, even though it's ruining my health both mentally and physically :cry:
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Oolala - I think meant to post this one here...so I moved it for her..

Aargh! I just wrote a long comment and got disconnected before I could post it.

Shorter version: there is a great deal of shame and self-disgust associated with eating many times the "normal" amount of food at one sitting. The food is usually eaten quickly, it's normally high-density food, and there is little enjoyment of it. Technically, it's suppose to be several thousand calories eaten quickly.

Of course, simple overeating or even compulsive eating of smaller amounts can be accompanied by extreme shame and guilt, to the point at which the eater pretty much feels her self is defined by this shameful eating. This is what makes it a disorder.

I guess technically, I was more of just a compulsive eater, but binge is so much shorter!

No S fits many criteria for combatting several eating disorders:
decriminalizing food
eating at relatively regular intervals
eating "balanced" meals
over time, decreasing processed foods
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:40 pm

For me it is about lack of Control that makes it a binge episode. It is a panicked feeling of wanting to stop shoving food in my mouth that makes it a binge. It is that feeling of "oh just really quick, no one will know. I don't really taste or enjoy binge food, even though I think I will when I start eating binge foods. With overeating, maybe I ate slowly, enjoyed it. It's all about the sense of urgency, secrecy, and shame.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.