10,000 steps and counting

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

herbsgirl

10,000 steps and counting

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:45 pm

I recently began exercising and I want to get a pedometer to count my steps. Here is a good article about 10,000 steps a day

http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/s ... 104899.htm
Want something fashionable to attach to your torso this summer? Forget Ipods, Blackberrys, 3G mobiles – they were so last year. The device du jour this Christmas could be the pedometer.

For those who've never seen one, a pedometer is a small battery-powered electronic counter worn on your hip. It's basically a step counter, sensitive to movements of your hips and the vibrations of the feet hitting the ground, which tells you how many steps you've taken.

And if you use a pedometer properly, it will help you lose weight and lower your blood pressure, say US researchers.

A team at the Stanford University School of Medicine did a review of clinical trials that looked at whether, and how well, pedometers work. There were 16 studies in all, involving a total of 2,767 participants in physical activity programs – mostly under 60, and mostly women. All were healthy, although most were overweight. The review was published in a recent issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

In these studies, participants were given pedometers and their fitness levels, blood pressure, blood cholesterol, blood sugar, and insulin levels were compared to participants in the same programs who didn't have a pedometer.

It turned out that, over an average period of 18 weeks, compared to those that didn't use a pedometer, those who did walked an extra 2500 steps per day, increased their physical activity levels by 27 per cent, lost weight (reducing their BMI by about 0.4), burned an extra 100 calories (about 400 kilojoules) a day, and shaved 3.8 points off their systolic blood pressure. Some also had lower blood cholesterol and blood sugars.

But these results were only seen where the person also planned ahead how many steps they'd walk a day and used the pedometer to check whether they achieved their goal. If they didn't have a plan, but just walked their usual amount, then they didn't get any of the additional health benefits.

In other words, the value of the pedometer was that it helped motivate a person to reach an exercise goal. A pedometer in itself without a plan didn't make any difference.

The people in these studies were mainly middle-aged sedentary types with low-to-moderate fitness levels. And this type of person has most to gain from using a pedometer – someone who doesn't get much other exercise, enjoys walking and wants to know how much walking they've got to do to achieve an adequate level of fitness.

People who are very fit anyway – who swim or work out – probably aren't going to get much additional benefit from using a pedometer.

How many steps?

The goal in most of these studies was 10,000 steps a day. This is the figure most experts recommend for most people; it equates to roughly 30 minutes of exercise a day. But it depends on your health and fitness levels: elderly and chronically ill people might find 3000 to 5000 steps more realistic, while kids and adolescents with growing bones might do 15,000 a day.

You don't have to do all the steps in one walk. You can accumulate steps during the day – walk to work, then take a walk at lunchtime, even count the steps taking the rubbish bin from the house out to the street at night, lugging it back and forth a few times if you're just short of your goal (the neighbours will understand when they see the pedometer).

If you need help getting started, try the free non-profit Australian 10,000 steps program, which allows you to log and record your steps on their website - follow the link at the end of this story.

There are dozens of different brands of pedometer on the market.Choice magazine did a survey of different pedometers back in 2004 and found they vary a lot in quality.

Some pedometers are quite fancy and come with a distance counter, calorie loss calculator, calendar, stopwatch, even an FM radio and MP3 player.

You can't read your emails on them or make and receive calls. Who knows, maybe that will come. Hey Mr Jobs, have you thought about the Ipodometer?
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:19 pm

My favorite step counter is the Accusplit Eagle. It's accurate, doesn't cost much, and lasts a good long time.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

la_loser

Pedometer options

Post by la_loser » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:03 am

I love that Urban Rangering is still gaining favor among not only No Sers but people in general. It's not like it's a new idea, walking for exercise, but I guess recognizing it as an accepted method of "moving for fourteen minutes (at least) a day is a "big step" . . . :lol:. . . in the right direction. The article you included was from 2007 but certainly the advantages of walking continue to be documented. I can remember way back in the fifties when my granddaddy stepped out every morning for his morning "constitutional" which by definition is "a walk taken for one's health."

Regarding pedometers, buying them, or the author's wishing "Mr. Jobs" would invent an iPodometer, here are some thoughts. (An ironic post since the pedometer apps were probably already in the works by his Apple "corps" - another :lol: . . .by that time and sad too since Steve Jobs has since departed this world way too early.) A quick search of the word pedometer on these boards wil reveal over 150 references. Several years ago I was in the market for one and found several highly recommended ones by scanning prior posts. At the moment I can't remember which one I bought-but it wasn't expensive and did what I needed it to.

Meanwhile I haven't used that pedometer for years because I downloaded one of the over 200 free iPhone pedometer apps (there are over a hundred more which have minimal costs also). They range from really simple ones to many which will track additional things. Most include ways to download your data to your computer as well. . . all for free-and no need to carry another device. I understand many similar apps are available for other brands of smartphones as well. Granted, I realize some people really want to simplify and would rather have a plain and simple pedometer which just counts steps.

So good luck in your quest. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

la_loser

My pedometer

Post by la_loser » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:14 am

Just looked up my old pedometer. . . still available from Amazon:
Omron HJ-720ITFFP Pocket Pedometer with Advanced Omron Health Management Software
Omron
$31.95

I see there are updated and cheaper ones available in that brand now as well, plus multitudes of others.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:28 am

I have a step tracker from spark people, it is really cool because it will download your data to their site completely free. It can determine what type of exercise you are doing and records all steps but it also records workouts if more than 10 minutes.

I have had mine for almost a month now and I have to say getting to 10,000 steps is a bit of a challenge. I walk on the weekends about 3 1/2 miles only to find that I'm still way under for the day...I did manage to do over 10,000 when it was an extremely busy day running from here to there.

I guess it could be done if one exercised twice a day or has a very active job. My job I sit most of the day, very hard to get to 10,000..trust me I get up a lot from my desk. The only way I could accomplish is working out twice a day.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Zoid

Post by Zoid » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:13 pm

I got a fitbit for Christmas and love it. It counts steps and a few other things. I love that it syncs automatically with my phone, so I can check it throughout the day.

The flex (which is the wristband version that I got) is somewhat expensive (~$100), but they have a less expensive pedometer version as well.

I know this sounds spammy, but I promise, I'm just an excited new user who happens to be a member of this forum.

I've been aiming for 10,000 steps a day. On the days I do my couch to 5k, its pretty easy to get to the 10k just by consciously moving more. On my "rest" days for C25K, its harder. I got to my steps yesterday by doing laps around my house while watching The Big Bang Theory.
Don't let perfect get in the way of better
SAHM to 2 beautiful girls: S (4yo) & E (8m)

5'3" female, 34
SW: 196.0 - BMI: 34.7 - 2/15/21
CW: 191.5 - BMI: 33.9 - 3/31/21

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:11 pm

NoSnacker wrote:
I have had mine for almost a month now and I have to say getting to 10,000 steps is a bit of a challenge. I walk on the weekends about 3 1/2 miles only to find that I'm still way under for the day...I did manage to do over 10,000 when it was an extremely busy day running from here to there.
I'm wondering if your pedometer is calibrated incorrectly. My stride is about 1.25 feet/step. That means I need to 12,500 feet for 10,000 steps or 2.4 miles. You shouldn't be "way under" after walking 3.5 miles.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:16 pm

5 miles is around 10,000 steps. I do exercise 4 miles with Leslie Sansone dvds daily and even if the pedometer doesnt pick up all the "steps" it shouldnt be too hard to get the rest of my steps for the day. I am working towards 5 miles a day with her every single day
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:48 pm

I'm looking at websites about the 10,000 steps and I think there is some confusion about the difference between steps and strides.

The way I understand it, a stride is two steps meaning that every time you move your right leg and left leg, you have walked one stride or the way I count it, two steps. In looking around, I don't see a consistent agreement that about the definition of steps vs. strides.

The question is are you going for 10,000 strides a day or 10,000 steps because they are different things.

10,000 steps would be 2.4 (round up to 2.5) miles. 10,000 strides would be 5 miles. 2.4 miles is very doable for most people, with the limiting factor being time.

Don't get me wrong, I think 5 miles or 20,000 steps/10,000 strides is a worthy and valuable goal. But I think you should give yourself credit in that you are probably hitting well above the 10,000 steps on a daily basis, even if you aren't making your stride count.

This walking site uses the terms stride and steps interchangeably.
Maybe you have heard the recent guidelines about walking 10,000 steps per day. How far is 10,000 steps anyway? The average person's stride length is approximately 2.5 feet long. That means it takes just over 2,000 steps to walk one mile, and 10,000 steps is close to 5 miles.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:17 pm

I think the Omron Pedometer I want has you measure your own specific stride and enter it in so it is accurate with it
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Hmmm I calibrated my miles based on mapquest. I definitely takes fast steps not strides as I read it is a better work out faster and shorter steps..but I'm sure there are a lot of different takes on this. When I do the full 3.5 miles it is like over 7000 if I recall.

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 pm

Which one do u use? Some r better than others
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:44 pm

I bought the one through Sparkpeople...paid like 59 for it...I really love it...

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:59 am

I treated myself to a pedometer (Omron HJ-112 Pocket Pedometer, approx. $20 on Amazon) about 4 years ago after noticing that while I praised and claimed walking as my choice of moderate exercise, I didn't actually walk all that much. A pedometer keeps me honest!

I highly recommend new users just wear the pedometer for a few days or a week to get a "normal steps without trying" benchmark and then shoot for an avg 500 more daily each week or two. My normal is only around 2500-3000 steps daily, so I have to consciously add a lot of movement to my day to get close to 10,000 steps.... and it took me several months to even come close.

I've really enjoyed using this site: http://www.10000steps.org.au to record my progress. After using a different site with a lot more bells and whistles (graphs, stats, contests, etc), I realized that I wanted a straightforward tally and I get that (plus a little more) at 10000steps. It is a bit thrilling to reach each million step milestone--I should pass 12 million this month, reached just one step at a time... :D
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:27 am

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental