2014 Soup Thread

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jw

2014 Soup Thread

Post by jw » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Several people have said, let's do a soup thread, so I'll start us off. Soup with a hunk of bread makes a great lunch -- an excellent bread recipe is here: http://www.simplysogood.com/2013/03/art ... bread.html. Hopefully we'll all provide the soup recipes to go with it!

My approach to soup is, use what you have. So if you don't have or don't like an ingredient, use what you do have and like. You can't really go wrong!

Today I am doing a vegetarian lentil soup. I filled up about 1/4 of the crock pot with carrots, onions and potatoes, added two bay leaves, two cloves of garlic, a cinnamon stick, a touch of turmeric, the same amount of cumin, and some cayenne pepper. Then I put in a 1 lb. bag of dried lentils and filled up the pot with water and set it on high to cook. This can be done on the stove, as well -- just keep an eye out for burning. Lentils cook up in under an hour on the stove, but take much longer in the crock pot. I don't add any salt until the very end -- it sometimes interferes with the beans getting soft, and I have a better sense at the end of how much salt is needed.

This will be a very thick, hearty, and only slightly spicy soup to start off the New Year. Happy New Year, everybody!

PS This is about 5 days' worth of generous lunches. If you get bored, add other stuff mid-week -- a little sausage, a shot of red wine, tomato sauce. . . enjoy!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Tortellini Soup

1 (10 oz) pkg chopped frozen spinach
2 Tbs butter
4 gloves garlice
3 (14 1/2 oz) cans chicken broth
1 lb. frozen cheese tortellini
1 (14 oz) can stewed tomatoes, cut into big pieces
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/4 c. grated Parm Cheese

Thaw frozen spinach. In 4 quart saucepan, melt butter. Add mince garlic. Cook 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Don't brown the garlic. Add chicken borth and bring to boil. Add tortellini and cook 10 minutes until done. Add tomatoes and spinach. Simmer 5 more minutes..add salt/pepper to taste. When serving sprinkle on the parm cheese.

Fast and very good!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Bowl of Red

I read about this concerning the Depression. (1929- 1941 not 2008 to present)

Ground beef was plentiful, apparently, so "soup" kitchens would make "a bowl of red".

I make it as follows:

2 lbs of ground beef
1 cup of water w/ one beef bullion cube
2 cans of tomato sauce
1 can of tomatoes, diced
Chili powder to taste
Cumin to taste (personally I like a lot of cumin)
Garlic powder to taste
Onion salt to taste

Sometimes I make just the above. It can be adapted. Green beans can be added for green bean chili. Of course navy beans, etc. can be added. Diced onion is good, as well as diced celery and/or diced green bell pepper.

A bowl of this, and a hunk of sourdough, I butter mine, is lovely.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

jw

Post by jw » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:31 am

These both sound great! Soon we'll have our own little soup library here at No S . . . thanks for joining in, No Snacker and Over43!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:09 pm

DEEP BAYOU CHOWDER

1 Tbs. Olive oil
1 and 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
8 ounces red potatoes, diced
1 cup corn
1 cup water
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 cups milk (I use plain soymilk)
2 Tbs. Chopped fresh parsley (I use 1 Tbs. Dried parsley)
1 and 1/2 tsp. seafood seasoning (I use Old Bay)
3/4 tsp salt

Heat the oil. Add onions, bell pepper, and carrot; cook 4 min. until onions are translucent.

Add potatoes, corn, water, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 min., or until potatoes are tender.

Stir in the milk, parsley, seasoning, and salt. Simmer 5 min. to heat the milk.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:31 pm

I found this study fascinating, and a good reason to consume soup!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10500012/
Eileen

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:00 pm

I love soup!! It makes me feel all hugged and loved.

jw

Post by jw » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:57 pm

That study is great reinforcement, Eileen -- all the more reason to include soup as part of our repertoire. I will be working on that lentil soup for days to come, but can't wait to try some of the other recipes here!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Before starting, you may have noticed that I've been absent. This is due to the fact that I killed my computer. I haven't decided what I'm going to replace it with.

I have a gazillion recipes for soup, but this is the basic formula:
THE QUICK SOUP FORMULA

Serves 4
Oil: 2 Tbs. vegetable or olive oil
Onion: 1 medium, chopped
Vegetables: 1 pound, cut in bite-size pieces. I usually select 2 vegetables to equal the pound, but more variety is fine. Good choices are celery, carrots, cabbage, corn, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, green beans, mushrooms, leeks, kale, spinach, peas and lima beans.
Protein: 1 pound. Your choice of boneless, skinless chicken thighs; Italian sausage in the casing; kielbasa; ham; pork tenderloin; firm-fleshed fish; medium shrimp, peeled; or scallops.
Starch:* Your choice of 1 pound potatoes, cubed; 2 cans (16 ounces each) black beans, white beans, chickpeas or hominy; 4 ounces wide or extra-wide egg noodles, uncooked; or 1/3 cup long-grain rice or orzo, uncooked
Tomatoes:** 1 cup, canned or fresh
Chicken broth:*** 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth, canned or in a carton
Herb or spice: Your choice
Salt and pepper

Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add onions; sauté to soften slightly, about 2 minutes.
Add remaining vegetables, protein, starch, tomatoes, broth and herb or spice. (If using pork tenderloin, shrimp or scallops, add in the last 5 minutes of cooking.)
Partially cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors have blended, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Serve with a salad and good bread.

*I sometimes use beans as the protein and another starch
**Can be omitted
***I substitute vegetable broth sometimes
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

jw

Post by jw » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:27 pm

I noticed your absence, but thought you might be hibernating, wosnes! I really love your basic soup schematic -- that's how I think of soups, too, but I eyeball everything according to the pot I am using! 1/4 pot of veg plus protein, plus seasonings, fill it up with liquid and cook until it tastes wonderful. And, amazingly, it always does!

I am getting some great ingredient and seasoning ideas from this thread (Old Bay to flavor a chowder that has no seafood in it! Love it!) And I know we can look forward to some dynamite recipes when you get back online again. Happy New Year!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:38 am

Oh I love clam chowder.....

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:13 pm

Easy peasy tomato soup

Dice and Saute small onion, 2 carrots, and celery in a generous slug of olive oil till onion is soft.

Add about half teaspoon dried basil.

Add 2 14oz cans of tomatoes.

1 can of tomato paste.

Stir and heat over med-low heat.

Blend w/ immersion blender or regular blender.

Awesome with monster grilled cheeses (grilled cheese on artisan bread with fancy cheese)

jw

Post by jw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 pm

New soup -- chosen because it will take a long time to simmer on the stove top, and will keep the house warm while the heat keeps going off here!
CHANA DAL (Bengal Gram) SOUP
1 carrot
1 onion
2 small sweet potatoes/yams
a few mushrooms, cut up
2 cups chana dal* (a small indian chickpea, also called bengal gram -- similar to yellow lentils)
2 bratwurst, cut up
Seasoning: some beef suet cut up or beef soup base, 2 bay leaves, 2 cloves garlic, a shake of turmeric, a shake of cumin, cayenne pepper to taste, salt to taste.
small can of tomato sauce

Cook the veg and beans in water with bay, garlic, turmeric, cumin, cayenne until the beans are soft (up to 2 hours), then add the meat, tomato sauce and remaining seasonings and simmer for another hour. Mildly sweet, earthy flavor.

*great if you have to watch your blood sugar -- they are 11 on the glycemic index, much lower than other beans and even than many vegetables. My blood sugar is fine, but I love Indian food and so I always have these in the house!
Last edited by jw on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Pumpkin Soup (might not sound good, but it is great):

1 can o'pumpkin
32 oz. chicken broth
1 T butter
2 T flour
one small onion
1/4 cup milk

Sautee the onion in the butter till soft, stir in the flour, add to broth. When heated, stir in pumpkin and milk.

(I change this sometimes to make it different. Great additions: thyme and parsley, cayenne pepper, sauteed celery or other veggies).

jw

Post by jw » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:53 pm

I am a huge fan of pumpkin soup, finallyfull! Thanks for adding it to the cookbook!

I am starting a scratch soup today (what's in the fridge -- let's turn it into soup). It involves a head of cauliflower and some chicken parts so far and may eventually include peas. If it turns out well, I'll post it!

CHICKEN CAULIFLOWER SOUP

In 2 quart crockpot:
2 chicken legs
1 head cauliflower, cut up small
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 potato, diced
6 baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
small packet of frozen green peas
water

seasonings: 2 bay leaves, 3 cloves of garlic, a slice of ginger, some cumin, salt (remove ginger after cooking).

let chicken, seasonings, and fresh veg simmer in the crockpot until the chicken is done. Lift out the chicken and let veg continue to simmer until soft. Mash up part of the veg to thicken broth. Put diced cooked chicken back in, add frozen peas and cook another 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste. Makes 6 hearty bowls.
Last edited by jw on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Kale Soup:

3 TBS olive oil
1/2 lb of Kielbasa or Italian Sausage, cut up into small bite size pieces
1 med onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch of Kale, chopped or sliced
2 quarts of chicken broth
4 medium potatoes, diced
1-2 cans of white kidney beans
Salt and Pepper

Cook sausage in oil to brown. Add onion and cook 5 min. Add garlic a cook a few more minutes until softened. Add kale, potatoes and broth. Cook until they are tender, about 30 minutes. To make a thicker broth, lightly mash some of the potatoes in the soup with a hand held potato masher.
Add your beans (drained or undrained - up to you), add season to taste. Especially good the next day! Serves 6 generously.

jw

Post by jw » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Sounds like a great combination for a strong-flavored vegetable like kale, noni. It's so good for you, I am always happy to have a new recipe for it!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Just wanted to add this soup formula from Pam Anderson (not that Pam Anderson) cookbook How To Cook Without A Book:

THE QUICK SOUP FORMULA

Serves 4
Oil: 2 Tbs. vegetable or olive oil

Onion: 1 medium, chopped

Vegetables: 1 pound, cut in bite-size pieces. I usually select 2 vegetables to equal the pound, but more variety is fine. Good choices are celery, carrots, cabbage, corn, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, green beans, mushrooms, leeks, kale, spinach, peas and lima beans.

Protein: 1 pound. Your choice of boneless, skinless chicken thighs; Italian sausage in the casing; kielbasa; ham; pork tenderloin; firm-fleshed fish; medium shrimp, peeled; or scallops.

Starch: Your choice of 1 pound potatoes, cubed; 2 cans (16 ounces each) black beans, white beans, chickpeas or hominy; 4 ounces wide or extra-wide egg noodles, uncooked; or 1/3 cup long-grain rice or orzo, uncooked

Tomatoes: 1 cup, canned or fresh

Chicken broth: 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth, canned or in a carton

Herb or spice: Your choice
Salt and pepper

Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add onions; sauté to soften slightly, about 2 minutes.
Add remaining vegetables, protein, starch, tomatoes, broth and herb or spice. (If using pork tenderloin, shrimp or scallops, add in the last 5 minutes of cooking.)
Partially cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors have blended, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Do you mean you don't have to cook the meat first? You can just simmer it for 20 minutes and it will be cooked through?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:56 pm

Here's the specifics on adding protein:
Choose a pound of protein

Avoid meats that require long simmering, such as whole chickens or beef shanks. Instead, buy cuts that cook quickly: pork tenderloin; boneless, skinless chicken thighs (more flavorful than the breasts); boneless ham; Italian and kielbasa-style sausage; shrimp; and firm-fleshed fish.

Fully cooked smoked meats such as ham and kielbasa require no special treatment. Simply cut them into bite-size pieces and add them to the rest of the ingredients. Fresh pork sausage and tenderloin need browning before they are added to the soup. If you're in a hurry, brown them in a separate skillet while the onion sautés. Otherwise, brown them in the soup kettle before sautéing the onion, then add the other ingredients. (The exception: Pork tenderloin dries out quickly, so set it aside after browning and add it to the pot in the last five minutes of cooking.) It's not necessary to fully cook these meats; they finish cooking in the soup.

Shredded chicken and flaked fish give the soup a from-scratch quality. Rather than add raw chunks, drop in whole thighs and fish fillets. Most fish breaks up naturally after simmering a few minutes. For the chicken thighs, simply pull them from the kettle and shred them when they're cool enough to handle, then return the meat to the simmering soup. Shrimp and scallops, like pork tenderloin, are an exception to the formula. They cook so quickly that you should add them during the last five minutes.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

jw

Post by jw » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks, Linda! That is how I cook -- by template, rather than by individual recipe. Great addition!

jw

Post by jw » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Over43, I am going to try your Bowl of Red today! What's everybody else cooking up this week?

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:04 pm

I made Coconut Curry Soup over the weekend. I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 stalk lemon grass, minced (I didn't have any of this)
2 teaspoons red curry paste
4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
3 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk
1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced (I used cremini)
1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined (I used chicken)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste in the heated oil for 1 minute. Slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture, stirring continually. Stir in the fish sauce and brown sugar; simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and mushrooms; cook and stir until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp; cook until no longer translucent about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice; season with salt; garnish with cilantro.

Delicious! I added some roasted broccoli/cauliflower/red pepper that I had left over from a dinner earlier in the week.
Eileen

DianaS

Post by DianaS » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:36 pm

When we were "livin on a prayer" a while back I kept a "soup pot" in the fridge. Leftover anything went in there. Green beans, potatoes, noodles, meats... At the end of the week I added broth and set it to simmer. Every week tasted different. Some better than others. This was usually lunch for the upcoming week. Glad those days have come and gone... good memories and well worth being frugal!
Start 1/23/14, 5'10" 223 lbs, Age 46

jw

Post by jw » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 pm

I start with fresh ingredients rather than leftovers, Diana -- but I have to admit that frugality is a motivating factor here for me! Cooking once and having lunch all week saves time, too -- :lol:

jw

Post by jw » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:32 pm

The bowl of red (thanks, Over43) was such amazing comfort food, I decided to do a second variation on it this week, to make a kind of chili. Also, ho hum, we're having another blizzard today, so I don't want to go out shopping -- these are ingredients I have on hand!
WHITE BEAN CHILI
Cook
2 cups dried white beans
1 carrot
1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
until beans are soft. Add
1 pound ground beef
1 jar tomato sauce
cumin, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, salt.
Simmer to let flavors mingle and soup thicken.

The bread is in the oven and the dogs are walking around with their noses straight up in the air to catch every entrancing smell! I hope everyone has wonderful S days!

NoSnacker

Hearty Lentil Soup

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:45 am

Here is a link to a soup recipe I posted on Spark people "Hearty Lentil"

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... pe=2345159

jw

Post by jw » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:39 pm

Yay, lentil soup! Thanks for posting, NoSnacker!

catservant

Post by catservant » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Brazilian Black Bean Soup

1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 cups onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
1 carrot, diced
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 x 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
1 cup orange juice
1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more if you like spicy)

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, half of the garlic, and carrot. Season with cumin and salt. Cook, stirring, until onion and carrot are tender. Stir in remaining garlic and diced red pepper; continue cooking until tender.

Add beans, water and orange juice to the pan and season with pepper flakes. Transfer a portion of the mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. (You can puree part or all of the soup depending on how you like the texture.) Return the puree to the pan and simmer for 10 more minutes to blend flavors before serving.

I often serve with a dollop of sour cream.

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Brazilian Black Bean Soup
That looks fabulous, Catservant! I think I will try it this weekend.
Eileen

jw

Post by jw » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Orange juice! That's an unexpected twist -- looking forward to this one, catservant! (love your handle -- I used to be a catservant, now I'm a dogservant!)

catservant

Post by catservant » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:05 am

Hope you enjoy the recipe...it's one of my very favorites. JW, I'm still a catservant, and have become a dogservant in addition!

harpista

Post by harpista » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:27 pm

We're at the other end of 2014, and where I live, it's definitely soup time again. I made this yesterday. It is from Canadian Living magazine and is the recipe that made me decide split pea soup was great stuff after all. I made only a couple little changes.

Classic Pea Soup with Ham

Source: Canadian Living Magazine, February 2007
Serves: 8
Make ahead: Yes, about 2 days (I think it benefits from it, actually)

1 smoked ham hock, or the bone from a ham with a generous amount of clingy meat
1 tbsp vegetable oil or bacon drippings, preferably bacon drippings
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 each carrots and stalks celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
4 cups sodium-reduced chicken stock or vegetable broth
2 cups yellow split peas
3 green onions, thinly sliced (to serve/optional)

If using a hock, peel off the skin and excess fat.

In Dutch oven, heat bacon fat over medium-low heat; fry onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are partially softened, about 3-4 minutes.

Add the hock or bone, and fry another 3-4 minutes or so.

Add stock, peas and 2 cups water, or enough to have the bone/hock mostly submerged. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, skimming off any foam. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until peas break down and meat is tender enough to fall off bones, about 1-3/4 hours.

Remove ham hock; pull off and shred meat. Set meat aside. Discard ham bone and bay leaves. I use a stick blender to puree about half of the "lumps." You could use a blender and you can also puree the whole thing. You can leave the meat out of the soup (I really like fried ham bits in my breakfast eggs), but you can also stir some or all of it in, which my husband prefers! Serve garnished with the green onions if you like them.

If you are making ahead, let finished soup cool for 30 minutes. Transfer to container(s) and refrigerate, uncovered, until cold. Cover and keep refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat to serve.)

Soup Tips

Freeze your ham bone or turkey carcass if you don't want to make soup right away. I know that especially for small families like mine, a turkey or a ham is rather too much of a good thing... I'd rather take a break before also making the soup.

If you don't want to commit to a ham, you could use about 3/4 cup diced kielbasa sausage to flavour the soup and fry that with the veggies. I have been known to substitute kielbasa for a bunch of other cured meats I couldn't afford, or find, or keep on hand.
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:57 am

catservant wrote:Brazilian Black Bean Soup

1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 cups onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
1 carrot, diced
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 x 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
1 cup orange juice
1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more if you like spicy)

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, half of the garlic, and carrot. Season with cumin and salt. Cook, stirring, until onion and carrot are tender. Stir in remaining garlic and diced red pepper; continue cooking until tender.

Add beans, water and orange juice to the pan and season with pepper flakes. Transfer a portion of the mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. (You can puree part or all of the soup depending on how you like the texture.) Return the puree to the pan and simmer for 10 more minutes to blend flavors before serving.

I often serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Pumping this wonderful soup thread...soup season's back, well, I like soup all year round...
THX catservant for this wonderful Brazilian black soup recipe!
I wish I had seen this recipe weeks ago when I was looking all over for mine.
In a few days I'll try yours. We enjoy the soup with fresh herb toppings and a handful or 2 of tortilla chips :D
The more forgiving and compassionate you are to yourself while you learn, the better. Berating oneself has been shown to reinforce the behavior you wish to change. Ironic, no? But it's good news! We don't have to be mean to ourselves to win - oolala

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Was just thinking it was a good soup day!

I am going to do French Onion Soup today. No real recipe... I caramelize the onions in a saucepan (LOTS), then throw them in a crockpot with beef broth and let that simmer all day. When ready to serve, put a piece of good bread and a round of sliced provolone on top of each bowl, and microwave to melt. (It should properly be put under a broiler, but I'm okay with having my cheese just melted and not browned.)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:53 pm

Wow! This is great!

I love soups, but I have been stuck with a handful of recipes that I make every time. Some of these recipes are exactly what I need to venture out and try new things.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.