BMI

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

silverfish

BMI

Post by silverfish » Sun May 21, 2006 11:40 pm

I don't know how much BMI can be relied on, but every few months I check to see how I'm going against that. I am now just under 30, which means I am technically no longer 'obese', just 'overweight'. (Just :)
That's down from 35 in June last year, and halfway to 'healthy'. That's exciting for me, and something to share in the lead up to my 1-year No-S anniversary.

Kathleen.

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Mon May 22, 2006 6:13 am

I don't know how much BMI can be relied upon either, but I'm using it to give me a rough target (about 70kg). I'm just on the overweight/obsese borderline at the moment too.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 22, 2006 11:16 am

BMI is a pretty good indicator of good body weight, unless you are a hard-core athelete, with a A LOT of muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so it skews the BMI. Professional weight lifters and some football players fall into this group. It's good for the rest of us, though!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon May 22, 2006 2:16 pm

Kathleen,

All these benchmarks are kind of arbitrary, but the fact remains that you've lost a lot of weight. You've got to pick some arbitrary points to celebrate your progress, and I think this'll do nicely.

Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know.

Reinhard

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon May 22, 2006 4:07 pm

I had my BMI checked a while ago and it said I was overweight, at which point the nurse looked at me, then looked back at her readout, then back at me, then back at the readout, then disregarded the answer and wrote down 'normal' on her chart.

I think a combination of factors must be viewed for an accurate appraisal of health - BMI is useful in some cases, but seems to be wrong in mine. I'm not particularly muscular, but I'm not overweight, either.

Maybe I just have really dense bones...
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.