New and frustrated

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

speedmom4

New and frustrated

Post by speedmom4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Hello!

I'm hoping some of you veterans can help me. I started the No S diet on January 8. Within the first two weeks I dropped about 5 pounds. Since then I have gained 3 back. I am still down 2 pounds but the weight gain has me worried. I have only had one N day that I cheated and had a sweet. Otherwise I am following the diet exactly. I have about 20 pounds that I would like to lose and keep off. I feel great on the diet and believe that I could live like this forever. I like having clearly set boundaries and No S provides that but I am impatient.

Any advice?

Thanks!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:28 pm

I'm not a veteran, but I'll chime in.
I only lost 1 pound my whole first month.
NoS is slow, you have to be patient, it only curtails your total intake by a small percentage each day.
This is why it is sustainable.
It is gentle, tolerant, firm, reasonable, and a long-term solution.
I love it! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Zoid

Post by Zoid » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:40 pm

I get it, I was frustrated at first too. I gained weight initially (am actually still up from my starting weight, but its coming off now).

This is a sloooooowwwwwww diet. It requires a lot of patience. Chances are that the initial weight loss was water weight anyway. You're still down 2 pounds in a month, which is a good amount for sustainable weight loss. Weight WILL fluctuate week to week.

What helped me is focusing on habit. It took me a while to trust the habit. Some weeks it goes up, some weeks it goes down. Overall the trend is down. Its helpful to look at the bigger picture.
Don't let perfect get in the way of better
SAHM to 2 beautiful girls: S (4yo) & E (8m)

5'3" female, 34
SW: 196.0 - BMI: 34.7 - 2/15/21
CW: 191.5 - BMI: 33.9 - 3/31/21

speedmom4

Post by speedmom4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:40 pm

automatedeating wrote:I'm not a veteran, but I'll chime in.
I only lost 1 pound my whole first month.
NoS is slow, you have to be patient, it only curtails your total intake by a small percentage each day.
This is why it is sustainable.
It is gentle, tolerant, firm, reasonable, and a long-term solution.
I love it! :)
I noticed your signature and you and I are the same height and my starting weight was 142. I am a couple of years older than you. I will be 40 this summer and would like to be at my goal weight by then. Maybe I need to be a bit more patient. :wink:

Thank you for the encouragement. It's good to see someone else has seen success even if it isn't quick! You're a veteran in my opinion, you've been doing this for over a month!

Thanks!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:22 pm

speedmom4 wrote: I will be 40 this summer and would like to be at my goal weight by then. Maybe I need to be a bit more patient. :wink:
Welcome, Speedmom4,
If you look around old threads, you'll see a tendency to emphasize building habit over seeking particular results. If you have a good habit established, like mostly green N days and not too crazy S days over a period of time (6 months, a year?) then you can make some small changes to your routine. It might be better to think about establishing habits, than about goal weight by a certain date, just so you don't get discouraged.
I wish you the best of success with NoS.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Zoid

Post by Zoid » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Check out this podcast:

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=24

I'm also guilty of freaking out over minor weight fluctuations, although I'm working on seeing the forest through the trees. This podcast was particularly helpful for me.
Don't let perfect get in the way of better
SAHM to 2 beautiful girls: S (4yo) & E (8m)

5'3" female, 34
SW: 196.0 - BMI: 34.7 - 2/15/21
CW: 191.5 - BMI: 33.9 - 3/31/21

Donnadolittlemore

Post by Donnadolittlemore » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:12 pm

I have not been at this very long. I have lost about 5 pounds so far. That is with a little detour over the holidays. However, it is a slow process as others have said. I feel more in control and healthier. The weeks where I see the scale move is when I add some exercise like wearing a pedometer and walking more or a class at the gym. Otherwise the scale moves at a few ounces at a time. I'm not complaining! It is moving in the right direction, I just have to deal with reality if I want it to lose faster... Exercise.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 am

No S is not a lifestyle in which you somehow quickly get to a goal weight and then live there. That is what diets tell you is possible and there is a 95+ failure rate at that.

It is about slowly affecting your appetite so that you get happier with eating less over time. This does not usually happen in a linear fashion.

I can't tell you how many people get impatient because of a lack of weight loss, leave, and come back regretting not sticking through the process. The process takes months at least, if not years. Reinhard didn't share this with the world until he'd been at it for four years.

Instead of thinking of getting to a certain weight, think of getting to the point of joyfully eating less. Concentrate on enjoying the meals you do eat to the max, without overeating. See where you are in 6 months.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:35 am

So I have been doing no s for 5 years or so but vey imperfect as I have had 3 babies in that 5 years. No s always gets me to 128-130 and I am 5"4'. However, the older I get I do realize I have to make changes. In my early 30's normal no s would work but latter 30's and my meals are on smaller plates and 1 s day. People freak out whem the modifications come up, but a small change can make a HUGE difference. Sure some are happy to lose 15-20 lbs over 2 years, but not me. You can lose more or less by making modifications.

speedmom4

Post by speedmom4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Wow. Thank you all for the encouragement. I like the idea of establishing a habit first. I guess I'm like most Americans and want things NOW. Maybe No S is going to teach me more than just how to eat!

Thanks!

jw

Post by jw » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Go read automatedeating's thread for an idea of how No S can branch out in positive ways!

I am a relatively fast "loser" -- a pound a week for 20 weeks, then I gained about 3 pounds during the holidays, and am just now getting back down from that. I had around 98% compliance during that time, but no real exercise. Everybody's body wants to do it in the unique way that works best -- if you don't get caught up in weighing and comparing yourself with others and just build the habit, you'll see what we all mean!

Welcome!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

speedmom4

Post by speedmom4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Zoid wrote:Check out this podcast:

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=24

I'm also guilty of freaking out over minor weight fluctuations, although I'm working on seeing the forest through the trees. This podcast was particularly helpful for me.
This was a great podcast. I feel like my mood for the day is set by what number pops up on the scale. I need to stop being a slave to the scale and just keep plugging along with the system.

Thanks!

speedmom4

Post by speedmom4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:14 pm

jw wrote:Go read automatedeating's thread for an idea of how No S can branch out in positive ways!

I am a relatively fast "loser" -- a pound a week for 20 weeks, then I gained about 3 pounds during the holidays, and am just now getting back down from that. I had around 98% compliance during that time, but no real exercise. Everybody's body wants to do it in the unique way that works best -- if you don't get caught up in weighing and comparing yourself with others and just build the habit, you'll see what we all mean!

Welcome!
I can't seem to find that thread. Do you have a link?

Thanks!

jw

Post by jw » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:19 pm

It's in the Daily Check-ins -- especially read the last 2 pages, for all the different ways moderation has changed her family's life: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

worth it

Post by worth it » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:10 am

So here's the deal-before I started No S, I read through all the success stories, all of the discussion boards, etc. and had expected to lose weight pretty quickly. I mean, the whole reason that most people find No S is that they are looking to lose weight and change their relationship with food, logical right? However, I basically had the same situation as you did. I lost 3 lbs quickly in the first month and gained it all back during the second month. Overall, I've been No S ing for 4 months and have only lost 2 consistent lbs. I guess it's better than gaining, but the slow loss is frustrating, especially when I was expecting to lose a lot more and at a faster pace. To tell you the truth, I am still No S ing because of 2 reasons- 1. I promised myself that I would give it six months; 2. Because I REALLY like the habit. I seem to just feel better eating 3 squares a day and having desserts on the weekends only- it makes them feel more special. At the end of the day, I will continue No S ing after 6 mos. because l just happen to like the habit. But, as far as weight loss goes, I'm not expecting much from this program. I would just encourage you to make the choice that's right for you. If quicker weight loss is what you need to keep you motivated, this is probably not the right "program" to keep you going. If you can handle the
SLOOOOWWWW loss, then this might be ok for you. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

MamieTamar

Post by MamieTamar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:01 am

I just want to add that for me, the very first step I took, even before starting no S, was to work on fully accepting my current weight. I read Linda Bacon's "Healthy at every size" and similar French books, I got rid of all the clothes I loved but had no hope of ever being able to wear again, and did an inner work of feeling OK with it.

So that even if I've only lost a couple of pounds so far, it was unexpected and a real celebration !
age 77
SBMI:29
CBMI: 27,7

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:40 pm

I also had established habit as my main focus. Habit and livability were/are my touchstones. I had lost weight before, but had always gone back to eating too much. I've lost 40 lbs. and am maintaining, tweaking what's on the plate according to appetite.

As someone said before, there is no way to know how YOUR body will consistently react to any mods, or what will be satisfying to you. The stats show that the number of people who can truly manipulate what they eat for the sole purpose of weighing a certain amount is very small, and most of them have to micromanage to do it.

If I understand correctly, Reinhard did not actually want to call this a diet, but the book publisher wanted it. "Diet" sells. Literally thousands of titles for decades. And the weight loss success is about the same as it has always been. Dismal.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

speedmom4

Post by speedmom4 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42 pm

jw wrote:It's in the Daily Check-ins -- especially read the last 2 pages, for all the different ways moderation has changed her family's life: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Thanks for the link!

speedmom4

Post by speedmom4 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:46 pm

Before starting No S I had dessert every single day. Every single day.

I want to do this for at least 6 months to at least curb my sugar addiction. I like having boundaries with food. I like that I don't have to think about it too much. I'm going to have to stop weighing myself everyday but that's going to be difficult.

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:26 am

You can still have dessert every day. Just make it fruit and a few nuts or a nugget of cheese, like the French. Anything more than that is for weekends even there. And no leftovers. Enough for one serving for everyone and that's it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:54 am

Hey, speedmom, how's it going?

I know some people here combine No S with calorie counting after getting the habit down. They find that the discipline of the habit is already in place, so that adding sticking to a calorie limit is easier than when you try to change things all at once. If you're feeling like you want to give up because of not losing, it might be worth it to modify the plan for you. You can still stick to three meals of the foods you want the most (besides sweets) but determine your portion sizes by other means than just what fits on the plate.

But if you're sick to death of calorie counting, some people have success with smaller plates for at least a couple of meals. Others use the divided plate technique.

No matter what you deserve peace with food! Hope you feel you're on your way.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23