New to No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

biggirllosesweight

New to No S

Post by biggirllosesweight » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:29 am

Hi my name is Charity and I'm new to the No S diet. I've been doing it for about a month now and I really like it a lot. I found it when I was looking for a way to help myself control my addiction to sweets. I was sitting there feeling pretty hopeless and disgusted after eating an 11 inch pecan pie all by myself. I really wanted to stop eating so much sugar because one day I know it will catch up with me.
Since starting this diet about 1 month ago, I've really managed to cut down on sweets since I'm not allowed to eat them during the week. I've also lost the last 6 pounds of pregnant weight that I had lingering and keeping me from fastening my jeans. :D
This diet is really easy so far except keeping S days under control and late at night when I have to get up with my baby. That's when I used to sit and eat snacks and sweets.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Welcome! So nice to hear you've had such quick results, though most people go through a few rounds of downs and ups before things settle. I joined as well mostly as a way to reduce bingeing on sweets. I still have my moments after 4 years, but I'm also maintaining what was a slow loss of 40 lbs. from the low obese to the normal BMI range. It really makes so much sense!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 pm

Thanks for your welcome and congratulations on losing 40 pounds. That's great. I just do regular no s so far and also jog 10 minutes a day. I'm hoping to lose about 20 pounds over some time. My main goal though is to stop eating so much sugar so I don't develop diabetes or hurt my joints when I get older.
I'm 25 now and I just saw myself eating so many sweets and making myself sick and I didn't know how to stop. I was so surprised and happy when I went my first week with out sweets. I knew I wanted to keep doing this.
I told my mom who is morbidly obese about this diet and she's going on her 3rd week and loves that she's finally able to cut back on sweets and is seeing results already! She's about 60 years old. So, any encouragement for her is appreciated. :D

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi Charity,
Welcome, and congratulations on a great first month!
Greetings and welcome to your mom, too. Does your mom use the internet and does she have a username on here?
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi Sonya,
My mom does have email, but she's not registered on this website. I copied and pasted lots of inspiring testimonials and sent them to her. She's not playing games anymore and has been sticking to this 100 percent so far. Our 21 day challenge will be over on Feb. 16th, but I'm sure she will continue to do it because her health is not good. Anyway, thanks for your reply. Wish you success.

jw

Post by jw » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:38 am

Good luck to you both! You're more than halfway to your 21 days -- well done! Tell your mom there are lots of people around her age here, doing well and enjoying the process --
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:41 am

This is a great way to live. It can save a young woman decades of difficulty managing food right through all the stages of her life. French and Italian women go through everything living close to these principles.

I hope your mom keeps finding strength in this way of life. Of course, she should also take the advice of her doctor and dietician, but this framework can be very supportive.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:32 am

Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm glad you found us!

How very sweet of you to copy stuff for your mom. Since she has some computer savvy, with an email and all, would she feel comfortable joining the forum? I can remember (pre NoS) feeling so old, so hopeless about my weight (tail end of 40s), recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and reading all these sites about how impossible it would be to lose the weight.

Then I found NoS and there has been no turning back. And participation on the forum (even if mainly by reading) has been one key to my NoS success.

Best wishes for both of you,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks you guys for your responses. I'll tell my mom she should join on here. Vikki, I'm glad that you had success with this diet. So far I like it a lot
because it's really easy to stick with as opposed to calorie counting and it saves money on groceries.
what I didn't like about counting calories was that even though I lost weight doing that, I wasn't really eating healthy. I always tried to stay at 14 or 1500 a day, but the majority of what I ate was sweets. I thought giving up sweets for most of the week was a stupid idea, until I was reading about how sugar will give you wrinkles, joint pain and age you.
Then I started thinking that I want to be healthy when I'm older and I won't be 25 for long.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:41 pm

You are smart beyond your years!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:53 am

Thanks oolala :D Maybe about this one thing lol

biggirllosesweight

update

Post by biggirllosesweight » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:03 am

I just wanted to let everyone know that my mom completed her 3 week challenge and lost 5 pounds and is now doing another 3 week challenge.
I'm still going strong too!

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:20 am

Woohoo! Thanks for the update! And congrats to your mom, too!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks, we're both doing the regular no s diet. I've still only lost 6 pounds as of last Friday = (. Normally I would have quit my diet if I didn't lose any pounds in a week, but I didn't quit and just kept on going. Also, sometimes I get discouraged because I do so horrible on the weekends. Like last weekend I ate a whole box of chocolate and 4 candy bars = ( . Yeah, that was pretty awful... but I didn't just quit my diet which is what I normally would have done.
Usually I would have said, "what the heck, I've already blown it, so I'll just quit" but this time I didn't . So this week I tried to do extra good and only eat salad and grilled meat for dinner. This weekend I'm really going to only bring a small treat in the house or maybe even none.
Mom is doing great too. she's been able to stick with her diet going on 4 weeks now and has not had a slip up. That's a huge thing, considering she only stuck with other diets for maybe 5 days tops. Today she resisted candy and snacks and has had much more energy because she's not having as much pain due to cutting out sweets. Also since she's morbidly obese and cant walk much for exercise she started doing chair aerobics. So, she's really filled with hope about the future.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:45 am

Hi Biggirllosesweight,
What wonderful news about your and your mum's success! Do let your mum know that this community cares about her and if she's ever low she can check in with us too!
As for getting discouraged on S days - remember that you cannot fail on S days, even if you eat double that amount. Do not worry about them yet, in fact, I believe your only danger is to restrict too early. I promise after a few months they'll calm down automatically.
Also, don't get discouraged about hitting a weight-loss plateau. It seems that most people who do NoS hit plateaus, heck, I hit them for many months at a time but eventually there'll be another jump downwards on the scale.
You're doing really well!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks vmsurbat and eschano for your replies. I'm very proud of my mom too. Right before she started this diet she told me the same thing she always says. That she can't lose weight. She's too big and she can't walk very well and was crushed between buses when she was in her 20's and also has been diagnosed with heart problems and low thyroid. The list of reasons is endless. The doctor said she needed to eat only 900 calories a day to lose weight.
So, she'd try and then give up after just a few days bc she was so hungry. I told her just to give this a try for 3 weeks and quit expecting to lose 10 pounds in a week. So, she did it the first 3 weeks and says it's fairly easy and lost 5 pounds. She'd like to lose 20 pounds and then start walking for exercise. Already, cutting out sweets has made a huge difference in her joint pain.
It's also very good for me to limit the amount of sweets I eat too. Oh, and I don't mean anything by it, but eschano, are you british?

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:11 am

Haha, yes, I live in London but I am originally Austrian. So my English might be all over the place :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:15 am

:D I just thought maybe you are because you said "mum". It's cute. I'm originally from Tennessee, but now I live in California.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:40 am

I see, outed myself straight-away :wink:
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:41 am

Congrats!! You and your mom are doing awesome!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:07 pm

To me the best part of your mother's story is that she is sticking with a sensible way of eating after years of no hope and some considerable health issues. That's HUGE, and in my opinion, more valuable than any weight she loses. In five years she won't recognize herself if she keeps it up.

Well done to both of you!

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks for the replies you guys. I'll keep you posted. :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm so happy for both of you! However, I have one suggestion. Unless you actually prefer to eat only salad and grilled meat for dinner, consider not restricting yourself. The problem with it is that subconsciously, you believe you can and have to make up for wild S days, and that is a diet mentality. You could start to think you are earning those wild days even more because you are being so "good" on N days. Just by having larger gaps between meals on N days, you are already balancing S days for now. Give yourself more time, and really give attention to how much better you feel when you just eat normal meals. Eventually, the pleasure you get from N days will become what you prefer on S days as well, and you'll get more willing to eat less so that you can have those great meal experiences. It may take awhile. It did me. I wasn't as heavy when I started, but I had S days like yours for quite awhile. Now I sometimes eat even less on S days than on N days because I just don't want more! Think of this as a yearly process, with 21-day stints as training modules.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:09 am

Hi, oolala. Thanks for your reply. I'll try to keep that in mind. These last two s days weren't so wild. I just feel like I need to also try to eat healthy and that's why I started incorporating more vegies into each meal.
Oh, and I know it sounds silly, but bathing suit season will be here before you know it and now is the time to start getting a flat stomach :D
I weigh myself every Friday and so far I've lost 8 pounds since I started! yay

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:58 am

Sounds like you're having some fun!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi, oohlala,
Well, I'm having an okay time. I decided to try to lose a pound a week or because that's what the Center for weight loss or whatever said was healthy. So each Friday morning I way myself and so far in about two months, I've lost 8 pounds. So, I guess I'm on track. I should be at my correct bmi probably in early June.
The thing my mom was wondering is. How come she didn't lose weight. She had lost five pounds after the first 3 weeks, but two weeks later it said she gained 1.5 pounds. She's going to keep trying, but she's wondering if she even can lose weight. Also, she didn't have over the top S days either. So, she's wondering what to do.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:16 pm

Don't know about your mom. For most of us, it comes down to how much or little dense food we eat on our plates. People can usually eat a fair volume of veggies without it affecting weight, but dense foods are different. Five weeks in isn't actually very long. Encourage your mom to keep trying to add light foods and decrease dense ones over the course of this year. She may have to scrutinize her food ratios or plate size more. In any case, if she sticks with and doesn't gain, that is a plus. But if she has present health problems. I hope she will take the advice of a good nutritionist who works with the obese. From what I read, they are much more reasonable than diet books about how to make changes over time.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks oolala,
Mom is now trying to eat out of a small plate and have mostly salads.
She weighs herself each Friday just like me and she promised she is not giving up.

Mustloseweight

Re: New to No S

Post by Mustloseweight » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:42 am

biggirllosesweight wrote:Hi my name is Charity and I'm new to the No S diet. I've been doing it for about a month now and I really like it a lot. I found it when I was looking for a way to help myself control my addiction to sweets. I was sitting there feeling pretty hopeless and disgusted after eating an 11 inch pecan pie all by myself. I really wanted to stop eating so much sugar because one day I know it will catch up with me.
Since starting this diet about 1 month ago, I've really managed to cut down on sweets since I'm not allowed to eat them during the week. I've also lost the last 6 pounds of pregnant weight that I had lingering and keeping me from fastening my jeans. :D
This diet is really easy so far except keeping S days under control and late at night when I have to get up with my baby. That's when I used to sit and eat snacks and sweets.
Really enjoyed reading this thread. I am starting afresh today. I have got so depressed about my weight, I really must act as I can't go on feeling this way. Well done on your losses so far to you and your Mum.

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:56 am

Thanks, mustloseweight. I hope you're having some success.