The Fat Drug

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Graham

The Fat Drug

Post by Graham » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:35 am

The title of a very interesting article in the NY Times. It throws an informative light on a factor which may be behind some of our collective tendency to pile on the pounds. I can't say it will help you get slimmer, but you may feel a little more enlightened. I did, and found some comfort in that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/opini ... 90155&_r=0

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Interesting. Thanks for posting it!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

jw

Post by jw » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:18 pm

This makes lots of sense. It took later generations to figure out that lead in the water conduits caused the decline of Rome -- maybe antibiotics is our equivalent!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:09 pm

I wish they had said more about what the dose of antibiotic was in the experiment that showed the increase in weight for children.

I was also interested in this quotation: "Of course, while farm animals often eat a significant dose of antibiotics in food, the situation is different for human beings. By the time most meat reaches our table, it contains little or no antibiotics. So we receive our greatest exposure in the pills we take, rather than the food we eat." I'm not a purist about my foods, but isn't there a lot of emphasis in the literature these days on eating animals not given antibiotics not just because of subjecting the animals to them but also because of their presence in the meat? Or maybe it's the growth hormones that's more feared.

This is a tricky issue because infections have their serious effects, too.

I was especially struck by the excitement of one of the scientists regarding all the good that could be done with biotic medicine. Does he not fear we will be creating some other problem we don't foresee?

Let's not forget this, either: "In 2002 Americans were about an inch taller and 24 pounds heavier than they were in the 1960s, and more than a third are now classified as obese. Of course, diet and lifestyle are prime culprits."

Egads! I hate the time change! It's too dark to be after 6 a.m.! Gotta go.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)