Fruits

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

butterfly1000

Fruits

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:45 pm

I was just wondering, how do you incorporate fruits into NoS? I'm not a big fan of fruits but I know it's good for you so I try to eat them once in a while ... but it's usually between meals. Right after a meal I'm already full so (unless it's dessert, of course), I don't really feel like eating a fruit. So I was just wondering, do you eat fruit right after meal and count it as part of the meal?

I haven't yet succeeded in following No-S (or anything else) long enough to see results, but I'm around regularly reading the posts and know the importance of not making Mods, especially at the beginning. I know I wouldn't abuse eating fruits because I'm not a fan of them, but if I allow myself to eat them between meals it might open the door for other types of snacks.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Some people put a whole fruit on their plate next to the sandwich and chips, etc. I personally prefer cutting fruit into squares, sometimes as fruit salad, and eating it as part of my meal. I often have fruit and yogurt for breakfast, or let it occupy about 1/4 of my supper plate when I'm having a burger and salad for the rest.
Try to get it on the plate so you see the whole meal at once, even if you then take it off because you don't want it touching the other food.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:42 pm

Fruit is part of nearly every meal for me. I put it whole or cut up on my plate or in the bowl (e.g. a few tablespoons of raisins in oatmeal). I eat it last at lunch and dinner. If I covered my plate with only dense foods, I wouldn't have room in my tummy for fruit after eating the savory ones, either, but that's the point. Slim, meal-based cultures have a variety of tastes and textures at their meals that end up incorporating starches, protein, fat, vegetables, and fruits. They SAVE ROOM for all of them.

But I would also say don't try to live like that prematurely. It's likely already challenging enough to give up free rein on sweets and snacks without right off the bat imposing foods you don't find attractive. That's too much akin to a diet. Put on your plate what you really want at first until you achieve several green weeks (or even months) of N days. That's the first step in moderation.

After that, you can experiment with what it means to be moderate with what kinds and amounts of foods you put on your plate. It's unlikely anyone but a teenage boy would feel very good consistently eating meals of a plate covered with pizza and one stick of celery fit in. Technically, it follows the rules, but it isn't in the spirit of the program. Yet who knows? Maybe that would be the ticket for you. You can't know ahead of time. But you might surprise yourself in a year by feeling like your meal isn't really a meal without some fruit.

Have you listened to any of the podcasts? I recommend #3 and #13.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:47 pm

oolala53 wrote:But I would also say don't try to live like that prematurely. It's likely already challenging enough to give up free rein on sweets and snacks without right off the bat imposing foods you don't find attractive. That's too much akin to a diet. Put on your plate what you really want at first until you achieve several green weeks (or even months) of N days. That's the first step in moderation.
I agree with you Oolala, it's hard enough to give up some things without imposing other food that I'm not a fan of. I'll try to take it one meal at a time without feeling like I need to have fruit also.

I've listened to the podcasts a long time ago so I don't remember -- I'll go back to them and listen again.

Osoniye and Oolala you both make good points that if it's included in the plate there's more chance that I'll have room for it because I'll be having less of something else.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:34 pm

Luckily, I like fruit and so I have some with my lunch every day. But I have very few veggies in my life right now. I keep hoping the day will come when I am motivated to eat more vegetables..... 6+ months in though, and I have no desire to go to the effort of bringing more greens into my diet.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:01 am

automatedeating wrote:Luckily, I like fruit and so I have some with my lunch every day. But I have very few veggies in my life right now. I keep hoping the day will come when I am motivated to eat more vegetables.....
I feel about fruits the way you feel about vegetables. I'm going to try and take one day at a time, and if for now it means a total of 2 fruits per week for example, so be it. I won't try and change all habits at once.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:45 am

I have a smoothie for breakfast during the week. I'm not a big fruit fan either...

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:07 am

I think that as long as you get enough veggies in don't worry at all about the fruit. I prefer veggies too and like the colourful on my plate.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:05 pm

With regard to eating fruits and vegetables, my husband and I have a saying:
we're "eating the rainbow" - including green, red, yellow, violet, orange, blue, white... fruits and vegetables (not all colors at once) in our meals, and so making it fun and at the same time appetizing, at least for us.
_________
h

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:I have a smoothie for breakfast during the week. I'm not a big fruit fan either...
Smoothies for bkfst. That's a good idea!

noni

Post by noni » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:45 pm

I was not a big fruit eater as well, but since No S doesn't permit sweets during the week it became my "natural" weekday sweet with the No S seal of approval.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:50 am

noni wrote:I was not a big fruit eater as well, but since No S doesn't permit sweets during the week it became my "natural" weekday sweet with the No S seal of approval.
Do you have the fruit as part of your meals?

noni

Post by noni » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Yes, Butterfly, I do. But if it's a big apple or banana, I'll half it, share it with someone in the family or save the rest for the next meal. I like fruit but not enough to nudge too much of the main course off my plate.

NoelFigart

Re: Fruits

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:31 pm

butterfly1000 wrote:I was just wondering, how do you incorporate fruits into NoS? I'm not a big fan of fruits but I know it's good for you so I try to eat them once in a while ... but it's usually between meals. Right after a meal I'm already full so (unless it's dessert, of course), I don't really feel like eating a fruit. So I was just wondering, do you eat fruit right after meal and count it as part of the meal?

Part of the meal. I like fruit and often have a bit chopped up on a plate, or in my bento (I eat little Japanese lunch boxes).

However, while fruit IS good for you, some people aren't big into it. My son certainly isn't. But since he eats vegetables with no problem, I never gave him a hard time about the fruit when he was of an age that I did police his diet.

I do think No-S does work best when you make a big effort to fill some part of the plate with fruits and/or veggies, but keep in mind that if you're not having much of a success, the best thing is to worry about sticking to the three plates a day first before worrying about anything else.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:54 pm

A lot of people seem bothered by the idea of fruits sharing a plate with savories, but honestly, even just aesthetically, it works. Keep it away from the hollandaise sauce, obviously, but for most meals it actually enhances the visual appeal (as well as the nutritional and gastronomical). And for meals that fruit doesn't work with, vegetables do. Breakfast is the most natural for fruit, I find, then lunch, and less so dinner -- the inverse of veggies. You always have a natural fit for one or the other.

Reinhard

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:44 pm

reinhard wrote: Breakfast is the most natural for fruit, I find, then lunch, and less so dinner -- the inverse of veggies. You always have a natural fit for one or the other.
Reinhard
NoelFigart wrote: the best thing is to worry about sticking to the three plates a day first before worrying about anything else.

It's true that bkfst is the easiest meal to incorporate fruit (i.e. in cereal or yogurt, for example).

As mentioned above, I should start out by just trying to stick to the basic rules of NoS and when I do incorporate fruits, it'll just be a nutritional plus.

Thank you for all your replies.

:D

uschi

fruit

Post by uschi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Why not set the fruit in a separate small dish next to your plate, leaving tthe space the fruit would take on your plate clear. (eg the fruit is visually a "missing slice" from your plate).

In my case, as chief bottlewasher around here, I prefer to finish at least that part of the meal without the cloud of after meal clean up hanging over me, so I'll often let the fruit sit and enjoy it afterwards. Does that make it dessert or a snack? I prefer to think of it as a protracted meal--that's my clean kitchen mod!