What would you say to your younger self?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MrGru

What would you say to your younger self?

Post by MrGru » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:07 am

Well I've been around the boards for years now, and tried no s a few times. I'm turning the big 40 this year and of course am looking to be the best weight I can be. I have never been hugely overweight, just 5 to 10 kgs. I love exercise and am always doing something, it's just the love of all food part that gets me. If I start no s I say in my head that I need snacks to keep my metabolism going, and that I'll eat too much at dinner. But the snacks don't make me eat any less, even if they are healthy. For those of you who are older and wiser, and have been on this journey for a while, even after some stumbles, what would you say to your younger self in regards to following this way of life? I'm hoping to get a fresh view to steer me on the right track so I'm not sitting here at nearly 50 wondering why I didn't start 10 years ago!!

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm only 46 but I would say to my 40 year old self: "Hey, if you stay on No S, you won't gain the 15 pounds you are just about to gain, and keep!"

I would also say: enjoy the fact that your back doesn't hurt right now. Lift with the knees!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:38 pm

What would I say to my younger self? Nothing. Not only does she not know that she needs to know, she's not ready to hear it. Most of us give advice to people who don't know they need it and aren't ready to hear it.

I would hope, though, that she's surrounded by people who practice moderation, don't get upset over a few pounds or hold themselves to unrealistic standards and love themselves the way they are -- no matter what way they are.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:07 pm

I would tell my younger self:
You have no idea how much your metabolism will slow down with age. What weight fell off in your early 30's and took a little work to get rid of in your late 30's, will take a lot of work to lose in your early 40's and be nearly impossible to diet off as you approach 50. NoS would be a very workable way to prevent the weight gain so you don't have to struggle to lose it, and the habit will make it easier to maintain a healthy and happy weight for you in the long term. Gaining and losing the same 20 pounds over and over is not that much fun, and it is probably avoidable... so seek to avoid it!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

noni

Post by noni » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:07 pm

To my younger self: "When people laugh and tell you what a good appetite you have, it is not a compliment."

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:49 pm

To my younger self: Keep walking! It is not a trivial pursuit.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

MrGru

Post by MrGru » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:48 am

Thank you for all of your valued comments. For me, each one has related to me in some way so it has been really helpful. I hope I can continue in the right direction :D

biggirllosesweight

Post by biggirllosesweight » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 am

lol Nonie. Until starting this diet in early January people told me that all the time. I'd just laugh and think it was a compliment or that they were just jealous of me. I thought it was just because those ladies were old and mean that they said I ate a lot.
It's kind of weird how we can deceive ourselves into thinking we're not over weight when we really are lol. I did that all the time. Oh and of course trying to squeeze into clothes that are way to small and thinking.."dang, they started making the sizes smaller" haha

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 am

Invest in a company named GOOGLE ?
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:36 am

Hahahahaha Germanherman!

But to all of you: thank you so much for sharing your wisdom!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:00 pm

wosnes wrote:What would I say to my younger self? Nothing. Not only does she not know that she needs to know, she's not ready to hear it. Most of us give advice to people who don't know they need it and aren't ready to hear it.

I would hope, though, that she's surrounded by people who practice moderation, don't get upset over a few pounds or hold themselves to unrealistic standards and love themselves the way they are -- no matter what way they are.

this is so true! really never embraced this until this year. i know older people and younger people who i've wanted to tell them something and i realized sometimes they are just not ready to hear it. just like me, i am sure they try to tell me things at my young age of 35 and i am not ready for it either . i heard a therapy metaphor once from one of my therapists. sometimes people are ready for therapy and some are not. as the therapist if i see they are not ready, i cant' push them because they are not on this path right now. makes so much sense in life too. we never really know when someone is ready to hear. we can lead a horse to water but we can't make it drink.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:15 pm

There is a diet that you can do. There is a diet that doesn't require things you hate like food journaling, weighing your portions, or permanently giving up foods you like. And you don't even have to think much about it, once you get the habits down.

Walking is exercise. And it means you don't have to hunt for a parking space, parallel park, or fish for change for the meter. Just because you hate going to the gym doesn't mean there isn't exercise that you won't hate- walking is it. Exercise that you don't do doesn't do you any good.

Eating healthy isn't all or nothing. You can eat healthier without being someone who obsesses over everything they eat and never eats anything tasty.

uschi

Post by uschi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm 53... to my very younger self, sheesh girl, you ended up with more stretch marks from extreme (800 cal/day) diets and constant yo yo weight fluctuations in your late teens and early 20's than you ever did in the course of 4 pregnancies!

That's enough proof to me that the skin damage came from the combination of rapid loss and gain and poor nutrition that went with the territory of meals like 4 oz deli turkey/sugar fee jello/celery sticks/black coffee or diet soda. I never had a single stretch mark from pregnancy and nursing, even though each time I went from typical pre pregnancy 120 to a high of 150, down to 125-130 nursing weight for a couple years, until dropping back to 120 within 6-8 weeks of weaning. The difference was the slow gain and loss during and after pregnancy, and the very best nutrition--fresh and unprocessed foods--for the sake of the babies I was growing! Who knows what other damage besides stretch marks I was doing to my body in my crazy youth!

The other advice--find systems that work for you, the simpler the better. In my 30's I figured out the at the best way for me to make exercise a part of my life was to set a total goal per week of mileage/minutes, vs. mornings or evenings at the gym, alternate days, weekend warrior nonsense, etc. When my goal was 100 mins, that meant I could do 33 mins on the treadmill 3x per week, 4 x 25, 5 x 20, or any combination any days that worked... so long as i met my 100 min goal. The workouts naturally fell into new patterns based on what my daily schedule was, and interestingly, my body learned what it needed. A quickie workout would be hard and fast; if I had 40 minutes, it would be at a slower speed I could sustain with a few short bursts of speed--long before interval training became popular!

When you say I'll exercise MWF or whatever, and miss a day, it's easy to miss the next, and then tell yourself you can start again the next week. When you say x minutes for the week, period, you will do all you can to not be x mins-20 on day 6 or 7 when you have to make up the rest!

Later when I noticed flab setting despite the running, I tried various strength training/weights regimens until I found the 8 Minutes workout. And now that my weight creeps up more easily No-S is my go-to system. So the bottom line advice to my young self would be to find simple, common sense systems that can easily be incorporated into your routine--for life!! They work because they're a natural fit; they work for life because they have adaptability built in.

It sure seems like we moderns overcomplicate things and want to be special, unique cases-- it sure does seem like my younger self and my young adult/teen kids were/are that way. My husband and I laughed out loud when we read Reinhardt's comment in the book about three squares a day along the lines of "our ancestors didn't stop one hour into plowing because they had to have a power bar"! Ouch! Now, our kids are probably sick of hearing that. :)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:55 am

uschi,
Great thoughts! I appreciate that you took the time to post your wisdom! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:46 am

Such a great thread!!!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:50 pm

To my younger self:
"You are absolutely amazing just as you are. Some people in your family unfortunately don't see that and think that you are a lot heavier than you actually are. The hips that get wider and the butt that is forming - that's what happens when a girl becomes a woman. Your weight is absolutely fine and there is no need to diet. The body-expectations your parents have are absolutely unrealistic and just because you enjoy a treat now and then will not mean that you'll end up diabetic. Look in the mirror and learn to love yourself because you are absolutely beautiful. If you really feel the need to change your body though, find a workout you love and do that. And now go out there and enjoy your life!"

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:11 pm

I would say, "There is nothing that is going to make the urges to overeat go away on their own. You will have to learn to feed yourself regularly without overdoing it consistently. You will have to learn to say no even when it's really hard, and this will not damage you. You won't learn this on a specific diet and you won't learn it by having no structure at all. Meal-based eating most of the time is going to be your best bet. You will also need to learn to negotiate difficult nonfood situations, sometimes long-standing problems, both internal and external, while not overeating. It will have to be good enough often just to be able to manage them, not solve them. But handling eating can even be part of the solution, because smart eating is way of handling stress! It is NOT more stressful; it actually makes life LESS stressful, thus making other stressors easier to deal with.

It will totally be worth the effort!"
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 am

I would tell my sixteen year old self, stay away from the sweets. I was 130 lbs. at the time. My big, initial weight gain at about 35 was soda induced.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 am

I would tell myself: you will never weigh as little as now so stop comparing yourself to your friends with eating disorders (I'm not being mean here, each of them has confessed and two are seeing a psychotherapist), start looking for healthy role models and most of all start loving yourself and don't let your perceived "fatness" that is really just a healthy body stop you from having fun!

Under no circumstances start dieting and don't resign yourself to be "the fat one" either. Be healthy and eat like your grandmother urges you to.

Do not listen to your mum. She hates her body despite being tiny. Let her deal with her own issues. Rinse and forget.

Have fun!

In the meantime: I am proud I have learned all these lessons, even if it was the hard way :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Terrific lessons!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Dandelion posted this on the daily check-in and I really hope that I'm not overstepping by sharing it here but I thought it's a good fit:

http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/2 ... the-toilet
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:04 pm

eschano wrote:Dandelion posted this on the daily check-in and I really hope that I'm not overstepping by sharing it here but I thought it's a good fit:

http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/2 ... the-toilet
That's good - some of the best advice I've read.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon May 05, 2014 10:56 am

Eschano thanks for sharing Dandelion's post - this is excellent!!! So true!!!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

ABooth

Post by ABooth » Wed May 21, 2014 2:03 am

uschi wrote: Later when I noticed flab setting despite the running, I tried various strength training/weights regimens until I found the 8 Minutes workout. And now that my weight creeps up more easily No-S is my go-to system. So the bottom line advice to my young self would be to find simple, common sense systems that can easily be incorporated into your routine--for life!! They work because they're a natural fit; they work for life because they have adaptability built in.
Can you give more info about this? I see lots pop up by googling 8 minute workout, just curious if this is a video or something you devised. Thanks!

uschi

Post by uschi » Wed May 21, 2014 9:01 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Minutes-Morning-S ... jorge+cruz

I guess Jorge Cruz is a TV personality/trainer-- this, his first book, was highly recommended in the PE section of a homeschool catalog where I found it! I ignored the diet in the first half of the book and eventually ended up cutting out the workout pages, laminating them, and putting them on a ring to flip to the next page each day.

There are 24 free weight/calisthenic (like pushups or situps) workouts altogether--you do one six mornings of the week, take a break on day seven--Sunday for me, but you can cycle through however you like. The workouts cover a different set of muscles each of the six days. Monday might be back and chest, Tuesday might be biceps and triceps. Each week you do a sightly different variation of exercises for those areas. If particular exercises don't work for me (eg squats make my knees pop), I substitute with one from another week.

Could I get really buff going to the gym or working out longer on expensive equipment? Maybe, but it's not that important to me and frankly, it would be kind of boring to me. :) (I do run, but I can pray or listen to audio.) The 7-10 minutes this workout takes is about what I can stand, so I've been doing it for years. What I get from 8 Minutes is "good enough"... and enough is as good as a feast!

It looks like Cruz has all kinds of titles out using this approach, some focusing on firming up different body areas. No experience with those, but there's one I saw with a basic allover workout modified for those with weight or mobility issues. Nothing says you couldn't design your own but his books are inexpensive and there also are lots of used ones around.

It's interesting that the 8 Minutes system has one day a week off built into it! I think if it was a daily thing I *had* to do I wouldn't be doing it anymore. Looking forward to one "No-8" :) morning makes the other six doable!

Years ago I got one of my kids a FitDeck, a 10$ pack of cards also with with exercises and simple instructions depicted on each card. Similar concept, exercises a little more rigorous, designed by a Navy SEAL. I see there are now lots of variations available.ww.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=fit+deck&sprefix=fit+deck%2Cstripbooks%2C189&rh=n%3A3375251%2Ck%3Afit+deck Basically a deck of cards you can cycle thru anyway you like--randomly or in order, a couple or several at a time.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu May 22, 2014 3:42 pm

I was a normal weight child with a very obese paternal grandmother,
and my parents were very afraid that I would "take after her".

They taught me that being "fat" was a horribly unacceptable thing,
and even when I had a normal-size healthy child's body,
before any adolescent weight-gain,
they frequently compared my body with the bodies of very thin girls,
and told me that I was TOO fat, and that I needed to eat less food.

I developed a lifetime habit of comparing myself to other people,
and judging myself based on whether others were "fatter" or "thinner" than me.
While I am certain that some of my lifetime problem with obesity has a genetic basis,
my eating and activity behaviors have been primarily responsible.
Sometimes I wonder whether, without the ongoing fear of being "fat",
these behaviors would have been more positive, and provided me with a different result.

I would say to my young self:
"It's okay to be fat"

"Nobody needs anyone’s encouragement,
justification, or permission to live in their body.

This is true whether or not people are able to achieve permanent weight loss.
Fat people have the right to exist without bullying, shaming, or stigma period.
Assigning value to bodies based on their size is wrong.

Yes, it is ok to be fat.
Bodies come in lots of different sizes for lots of different reasons
and instead of jumping to defense mode when being fat-shamed
and insisting that we, or they, aren't fat,
we could take the opportunity to make things better for everyone
by pointing out that there is absolutely nothing wrong with fat bodies,
or bodies of any size."
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Hear, hear.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri May 23, 2014 8:43 am

Beautiful!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

harmony

Post by harmony » Sat May 24, 2014 1:03 am

I was skinny as a stick growing up, and people marveled at how I could eat what I wanted and not gain weight. I loved the attention and it became part of my identity - what made me special. I was the person that could guiltlessly indulge myself with food and still remain slim. I remember being pretty confident that I would be skinny for the rest of my life.

In my early 20's, I decided that it was time for me to grow up. So, I trained myself to eat like a "normal adult person". Up to that point, people had been giving me a hard time for nibbling on my food, being a picky eater, and leaving food on my plate. So, I forced myself to clean my plate, take big bites out of my chips instead of nibbling them, take big gulps of my beverage, eat the bits that were less appetizing, and so on and so on. Combine it all and pretty soon I was swallowing my pride and looking up how to diet.

I would tell my younger self, "STOP! Never mind being an "adult". Be discerning about the food you put in your mouth, take your time, savor every bite, and let the rest of your meal just sit there once your appetite is satisfied. Enjoy your food, respect and listen to your own body, and keep shrugging off the criticism from others. You have it right on this one. Oh, and cola is not to be drunk like it's water. You know better."

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:54 pm

BrightAngel wrote: I would say to my young self:
"It's okay to be fat"

"Nobody needs anyone’s encouragement,
justification, or permission to live in their body.

This is true whether or not people are able to achieve permanent weight loss.
Fat people have the right to exist without bullying, shaming, or stigma period.
Assigning value to bodies based on their size is wrong.

Yes, it is ok to be fat.
Bodies come in lots of different sizes for lots of different reasons
and instead of jumping to defense mode when being fat-shamed
and insisting that we, or they, aren't fat,
we could take the opportunity to make things better for everyone
by pointing out that there is absolutely nothing wrong with fat bodies,
or bodies of any size."
BA, thank you for sharing your story and the above with all of us!

I would say to my 14-year old self:
a) you are beautiful the way you are; don't compare yourself with your skinny class mates and friends
b) do not, under no circumstances, start to diet; you will throw your metabolism etc. out of balance that will have implications for the rest of your life
c) stop snacking after dinner and you'll get back to your slim self
d) find some fun/interesting projects to get involved in; they surely are out there and will focus your mind on other things than food (living in the country)

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Don't crash diet, you will regain more weight than you lose every time.

Don't eat between meals.

Look after your knees.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

ferdberfle

Post by ferdberfle » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:42 pm

I would say "wise up, dumb a**, too much of that pizza is killing you."

"Pop-tarts too. Stop it."
Catchy catch phrase is catchy.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:32 pm

ferdberfle wrote:I would say "wise up, dumb a**, too much of that pizza is killing you."

"Pop-tarts too. Stop it."
ferdberfle, you made me smile! :D
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:02 pm

ferdberfle wrote:"Pop-tarts too. Stop it."
Hehe, there was an article on Yahoo recently reporting that sales of Pop-tarts have risen for 32 years straight even while sales of cereal and soda have declined.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pop-tarts ... 23276.html

alicerabbit

Post by alicerabbit » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:18 am

I would say " Hey little Alex, STOP THE FAD DIETS! They don't work! And stop trying to tweak No-S: you can't make it better than Vanilla."

haha, I almost wrote "twerk No-S"
twerk twerk
One step back, two steps forward!:)

harpista

Post by harpista » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:02 pm

If I could intervene with myself, I'd pick 16 year old me.

- Brush your teeth, jerk. This is not directly a weight thing. More of a habit cultivation thing. :lol:

- Forget the pills and protein powder and journalling and weight watchers (all stuff I hated), and just do No S.

- No really, you have no idea what snacking is going to do to you.

- Ignore your stupid boyfriend. You will wish to look/feel again like you do now, forevermore. Enjoy it and appreciate it and care for yourself, and you might get to keep some aspects of it. (+136 lbs later, I wish I could go visit baby me.)

- No really, cut it out with the damn chips and chocolate bars, that's not a school lunch. Find a way to make yourself real lunches.
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!