Article supporting NoS

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

eschano

Article supporting NoS

Post by eschano » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi All,

just saw this and I hope I'm not duplicating this but found it supports NoS principles:

Diets That Work: 10 Things They All Have In Common
http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fitne ... -that-work

Note: they say eat regularly and only one nutritionist takes it as meaning meals and snacks but I think it's just letting your body know when it's going to be fed regularly. No Snacks necessary :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks, nice to see the overlap!

And I like to think even the points that no-s doesn't explicitly address (balance of nutrients, less processed food) are promoted by the "spotlight" effect of having to make every plate count.

Reinhard

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:30 pm

Reinhard is so right about the spotlight.

I let No-S slide during a time of stress and notice that now that I got ahold of that, holy crimoly do I buy more produce.

Thing is, I'm not really making any real special effort to be "good" or anything. It is the spotlight. For me, it's also a visual thing. It's more of a "real" meal with a lot of colorful veggies. Just spaghetti seems wrong, somehow, but a plate that's half spaghetti and half green salad feels like a good meal.

It's probably a lot to do with how I was reared. We had a salad with dinner every single night when I was a child (my brother and I were little jerks and refused to eat most cooked veggies). So to me, salad means "real" meal.

Which brings it around to cultural traditions being pretty good eating guides!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

MamieTamar

Post by MamieTamar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:37 am

Marie-Claire is a French journal, and to the French, "snacking" means having an extra small meal (called "goûter" for children and "collation" for adults), which might be a piece of bread and black chocolate for children and an apple+yogourt for health-conscious adults. That's what "snacking" means to a French person. Dr Yoni Freedhoff, whose book I am presently reading on BrightAngel's advice, puts extremely great emphasis on the need to "healthy snack" for weight maintenance. This is what I did before NoS, and I'm still unsure about supressing it having been a good thing, because it makes me eat a lot more at supper.
age 77
SBMI:29
CBMI: 27,7

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Most not surprising to the initiated, but appreciated! I still find the "good breakfast" one misleading. The French have basically toast and cafe au lait. The Italians have a sweet pastry and coffee. (Also no protein to speak of with their carbs.) Not what most overweight people think of as a good breakfast, or at least I didn't. I always thought it meant I had to have a big "farm" breakfast. Not many cultures do that, though, slim or otherwise.

I also think it should say "They cut sugar," not "They cut out sugar." Very few people live sugar-free their entire lives. But I'd guess most "dieters" could stand to cut 90% of it, over time.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)