An acceptable 'mod' for runners?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bennedicta

An acceptable 'mod' for runners?

Post by Bennedicta » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 pm

I am in training for my first marathon. I am a very slow runner, which means my long runs can take a very long time to complete (up to 5 hours)

Due to life constraints it is often easier for me to do my long runs on a weekday.....which is not an S day.

So I need a mod for training. I have decided any run over 2 hours duration to be a S-event. So I can have my endurance crackers, dates and other things as well as my homemade electrolyte drink during the run.

Of course the S-event extends only to the run and immediate post run recovery drink (actually, normally coconut water) and not muffins in a coffee shop on the way home.....

Does this sound acceptable and within the sprit of no S?

Benni

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:38 am

Hard to tell. The spirit of No S to me is moderation in all things, including exertion. Honestly, marathons don't seem to me to be moderate activity, so training for one is a bit beyond the scope of moderate eating. But it does seem that the strategy of rules for limited eating to accommodate your running is very much in keeping with No S. Hope it works for your purposes!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:12 am

I followed no s and trained for a marathon. I really didnt make any changes, maybe a larget dinner before the morning of the long run.

Bennedicta

Post by Bennedicta » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 am

Hi jellybean,

How long were your long runs? I suspect you may be a faster runner than I am? I am sometimes out for 5 hours.....

Hi Oolala, I think I may have changed one obsession for another, but I am not giving up running anytime soon ;) I love running, it is my me time, and I love getting out along the seashore, or up into the hills. However I do agree that running for 5 hours at a time is not 'moderation' in any shape or form.
:shock:

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:19 pm

I am wondering for the sake of consistancy ifyou could keep it to liquids during your long runs? If not I would decide the rule or snack before hand and stick to it. Consistency is key here so while training I do this..... And have it be specific.
I want to go back to weightlifting in the fall . (My baby starts kindergarten!) and think I will add a protein shake for after training.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

ironchef

Re: An acceptable 'mod' for runners?

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:52 am

Bennedicta wrote:I am in training for my first marathon. I am a very slow runner, which means my long runs can take a very long time to complete (up to 5 hours)

Due to life constraints it is often easier for me to do my long runs on a weekday.....which is not an S day.

So I need a mod for training. I have decided any run over 2 hours duration to be a S-event. So I can have my endurance crackers, dates and other things as well as my homemade electrolyte drink during the run.

Of course the S-event extends only to the run and immediate post run recovery drink (actually, normally coconut water) and not muffins in a coffee shop on the way home.....

Does this sound acceptable and within the sprit of no S?

Benni
I think that sounds like a good plan. Having done marathon training in the past, I think you should eat and drink during your long runs as you plan to on race day - the rule "nothing new on race day" is a great one. Recovery drink / food after your run is a meal, and therefore within the spirit of No-S. Plan that recovery meal ahead of time, don't include sweets or seconds, and you're all good. Remember Reinhard's loophole: No-S never actually states the number of meals must be 3.

If you are not feeling good, or your weight is going up, then you can revisit your system and tweak it.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:19 am

Hiya,

Hmmm. I don't run, however, I go hiking a lot, sometimes on 8-hour hikes in the mountains which might be a similar activity to a 5 hour run as it's up-hill and all. I usually do that for a week of holidaying where I alternate long and shorter hikes.

I make sure I have three substantial meals that fit on one plate with plenty of carbs, some protein, and some fruit and I drink about 4 litres of water, plain water.

No other things required. I suggest it's the same for you. Just make sure you have those 3 plates on the heavy side and you'll be fine.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021