Is this allowed?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
CuriousAT

Is this allowed?

Post by CuriousAT » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:17 am

I am new to habitcal and shovelglove. Originally, I used to do at least 10 minutes of exercise per day, gradually increasing it by 5 minutes each month. It worked for me until I got too busy at work. Going back is challenging.

So I thought I would use shovelglove. However, I don't have the physical strength to wield a hammer or a shovel, much less do all those exercises. So I thought I would just do any exercise I want, continuously, for 14 minutes.

I have problems walking so I do sitting exercises for legs and sort of vigorous dance movements, preferably to music or a favorite TV soap. Is that okay?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:03 pm

It's more than OK. It's something I explicitly encourage!

See

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=38

Best of luck and please keep us posted with details,

Reinhard

Kerryhurb

Post by Kerryhurb » Thu May 28, 2015 5:19 am

I research and write articles about these fits.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 am

CuriousAT, when I didn't have the strength to shovelglove I shovel broomed or shovel mopped. Yes, I used a broom or mop. Then when that got a little too easy, I used my spade from the garden. I rember Rienhard thought it was hilarious. Now I'm shovel spading with wet clay soil. I'm digging in the garden because the soil needs it. Due to my shovel brooming and shovel mopping I have no sore muscles.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:58 pm

I know this is an old thread but I just found it, and wanted to say thanks!

As you know from my other posts, I've just started doing Shovelglove workouts again after several years and really enjoying them.

However, I also really need to do very basic balancing and stepping up and down type exercises, because of problems I've had with my knees. So I decided yesterday to do the sledgehammer (or in my case, carpet rake! :D ) every other day and the balance/step exercises the other days - in both cases for 14 minutes.

That really appeals to me as it's something I need to do regularly. My goal is to be able to go up the stairs to my church's choir loft without huffing and puffing so hard I can barely sing. It's become enough of an issue that I need to deal with it. So thanks for the idea, an oldie but a goodie! 8)

EdwinSi

Post by EdwinSi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm

stoogeswoman wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:58 pm
I know this is an old thread but I just found it, and wanted to say thanks!

As you know from my other posts, I've just tried and tested my rangefinder binoculars and started doing Shovelglove workouts again after several years and really enjoying them.

However, I also really need to do very basic balancing and stepping up and down type exercises, because of problems I've had with my knees. So I decided yesterday to do the sledgehammer (or in my case, carpet rake! :D ) every other day and the balance/step exercises the other days - in both cases for 14 minutes.

That really appeals to me as it's something I need to do regularly. My goal is to be able to go up the stairs to my church's choir loft without huffing and puffing so hard I can barely sing. It's become enough of an issue that I need to deal with it. So thanks for the idea, an oldie but a goodie! 8)
Did anyone come up with a routine that can completely be done while sitting? I'd appreciate something like that tremendously.
Last edited by EdwinSi on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

dolmsted39

Post by dolmsted39 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:32 pm

I would look into some JP Muller exercises/movements. I would worry about strain on the back using a weight for most of the Shovelglove moves without the complete use of your core. You could certainly get some great biceps and triceps with the moves, lever and sack, though. I would think the move, stoke, and a paddling motion would work also.