sledge selection

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
abelincoln

sledge selection

Post by abelincoln » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:23 am

Question, any ideas on good sledge options, i'm thinking of going from 8 to 12 pounds. Right now i use a collins fiberglass handle 8 lb sledge, not sure of handle length... i like it and have done pretty good compliance wise for 4 months...

I see the jackson hickory handle on the shovelglove store from amazon... any luck with that. Its definately economical...

12 lbs will probably be my last/first upgrade

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:00 am

I've used both hickory and fiberglass. I like the idea of hickory better, but it wasn't an option for my current weight sledge and I have to admit I'm perfectly happy with it.

Congratulations on the good compliance so far! That's the critical thing, far more important than hickory vs. fiberglass.

Enjoy, whatever you decide.

abelincoln

Post by abelincoln » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:19 am

yep it has been a good exercise for me! I think I will mull it over for the weekend Happy Thanksgiving

abelincoln

Post by abelincoln » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 pm

2 days on the 12 pound sledge it is a lot more grueling than the eight pounder

Slight muscle soreness but four months previous on the 8 pounder must have built me up good enough

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:32 pm

I agree with Reinhard, hickory is a better choice for Shovelglove, especially if you sand off the lacquer. Fiberglass is slippery when you get sweaty. If you're going to use the sledge for actual work get the fiberglass, it's less likely to shatter if you hit your splitting wedge with the handle.