Introduction

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Shuggernaut

Introduction

Post by Shuggernaut » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi,
After a few years of playing around with Shovelgloving (using a 9-lb "bodybar") as an adjunct to other sporadic exercise methods, I've decided to commit to a dedicated regimen of Shovelglove (with an actual sledgehammer, this time), Rangering (though not "Urban," as I'm a resident of the Northwoods), and the No-S eating habit. I had fun constructing my shovelglove this weekend, which I affectionately and appropriately named "Hellboy," following our first 14-minute date. I went with a 16-pounder, not only because it was what I already had in the garage, but also because I have already built a considerably solid foundation of strength. That said, I have to admit that 16 pounds is plenty challenging, especially with all of that weight hanging at one end of the handle!
In the interest of full disclosure and in order to use public accountability as a personal motivator, my current measurables are as follows: Current bodyweight is right around 240#, at a height of 5-feet, 11.5-inches. My goal weight is 200#. If I maintain my current muscle mass, this will put me at about 10% bodyfat. Methods to achieve this goal include: Shovelglove 14 minutes Monday through Friday; Rangering 30+ minutes Monday through Friday; No-S eating habit, with a focus on eating strong, lean, and clean. Additional, intermittent activities to include some yoga/free-stretching most days; extra walking, jogging, and active playing as desired on the weekends; and occasional bodyweight and dumbbell exercises for the fun of it.
Thanks to Reinhard for dropping this slice of sanity onto the plate of our crazy world, and to all of you for creating such a kind-hearted and supportive community.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:25 pm

Welcome!

Your "Hellboy" sure is a beauty!

16 pounds is heavy, but it sounds like you know what you're doing (just ease in gently!).

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Reinhard

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:51 pm

That is just brilliant! Lol! Have fun.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:35 pm

Reinhard-- Thanks :) Yeah, my sessions with Hellboy have been good, but humbling. I grew up on a (hobby) farm, and am no stranger to shoveling, wood splitting, and many of the other movements imitated while shovelgloving, but this is one heck of a great workout. It is amazing how effectively this relatively small weight can work a person out, when almost all of it is leveraged at the far end of a stick. Although I started out by repeating movements 21 times to each side, I've found that repetitions in the 7- or 14-range work better for me with this level of resistance, and allow me to cycle through my list of movements more effectively. I'm huffing, puffing, and sweating like crazy by the time my 14 minutes are up. I will probably get ahold of a 10- or 12-pound sledgehammer at some point, and alternate sessions between relatively lighter and heavier shovelgloves.

Eschano-- Thank you :) In terms of exercise options, this is definitely a fun way to get it done!