Sore lower back? Just making sure

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Ericj313

Sore lower back? Just making sure

Post by Ericj313 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi,

I've recently began shovelgloving(typical 14 minutes and movements). I used to work as a landscaper so I've done a lot of shoveling in my life.

I just wanted to see if anyone else felt lower to mid back soreness when they first started out? It's a good sore(like muscles getting stronger), but wanted to make sure this was possibly common.

Cheers,
Eric

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi Eric,

Shovelglove definitely works your back and though I haven't ever a bad swing might work it the wrong way. I don't normally feel lower back soreness, though it's possible maybe a bit in the beginning over a decade ago when everything felt blessedly sore. I'd proceed very cautiously as long as your feeling this.

Reinhard

captain_trismegistus

Sore back

Post by captain_trismegistus » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:58 am

Hi Eric! Yes, I too suffered with a sore lower back when I started & I also posted seeking advice :)

I found that the sore back cleared up in due course & didn't present any problems. Just occasionally I still get a sore back when making the excersise harder or upgrading to a heavier hammer. But nothing as bad as when I started, when it was enough to cause me to worry.

My advice is, if your back is sore, take a break for a few days until it's no longer sore & maybe a day or two longer just to let everything settle down, then get back into it. It might start to get sore again but, in my experience, not as badly - if so, rinse & repeat. Don't be afraid to take it a little slowly & you should be absolutely fine & soon find that your back no longer presents you with any problems.

Best wishes,
Tim.