Skilletglove

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
bunsofaluminum

Skilletglove

Post by bunsofaluminum » Mon May 16, 2016 2:08 pm

woot! just finished my first skilletglove workout, following Reinhard's 14 minute youtube video. I made it to the 45 second mark before my arms gave out.

I used my largest cast iron skillet, a 9", five pound, four quart (or maybe six) mega pan that I hardly ever cook with, since it holds SO much food. Five pounds is about right, but I predict I'll move to an eight pound sledge within a month. My BF has a 20# monster, which is tucked away somewhere anyway...too big, and too unavailable. The only drawback to the skillet is its short handle, but I'll make do for now.

And I want to name the moves to fit a skillet/kitchen/homemaker.

Flipping eggs came to mind for Flip the Lever
Swatting flies for Chop Tree
Bonking Heads for Fireman
Scooping Beans, Dodging Bullets (wonder woman style), and Smacking Mouse also came to mind.

I'm sure I'll come up with others. Now to get my foot in good repair, so I can start walking again. It is my favorite activity, and an inflamed ankle has kept me from it for quite some time.

Heh...fun workout. I feel really good.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Very nice!

I'm a huge fan of cast iron for all purposes.

Inspired movement names!

(Love the username, too!)

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Reinhard

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Tea. Mug. Too. Heavy...

:lol: 8)

and that's because I just finished the FULL 14 MINUTES! of skilletglove.

And how funny I was thinking I would graduate soon to an eight lb sledge hahahaha I'm a hoot.

With the skillet, because it has such a short handle, I generally hold it in one hand and put the other hand on the pan to steady or balance it. Other than that, I'm following all the movements just fine. Only, shoveling is more like "scooping beans" and chopping tree is like "swatting flies" :D

The Fireman is the only one I can't do in every round. It takes me three times around all the moves to get to 14 minutes, and I add Picking Onions in.

Feels good! I had to be very inactive for a few weeks following an illness, and now that I'm back I am loving it!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Congratulations!

That's a hell of a milestone. :-)

Though it sounds like you're doing great with your 5-pound skilletglove, I have seen full length 6-pound sledges that might be a good next step.

Reinhard

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Got up and got my skilletglove routine out of the way this morning...and felt SO TIGHT in my core!

I'm managing to get the full 14 minutes in every day. Doing 21 of each move EXCEPT overhead moves like pitch bales or fireman. WHEW! But I do at least seven of the ones that are toughest for me, and drive fence posts I do 14 on the first round, then seven if I get around to it again.

I have a mirror on the wall over the couch, where I can observe myself. It's cool to see the muscles move, especially in the back scratcher. If I know my body, judging from previous fitness bursts I've had in my life, I'll start feeling stronger really fast, and it'll be sheer delight when I see definition hahaha! But that tight core feeling, so soon! Awesome!