Shovelglove Movement Registry

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Shovelglove Movement Registry

Post by reinhard » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:41 am

This is just a rough, first cut, just the movements I do:

http://shovelglove.com/movements/

Let me know if you're doing any movements that should make this list, or if you have ideas how it could be better structured.

I'm thinking of making a "routines" page, too.

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:01 am

hi Reinhard,

I think this is a good idea. What about a Wiki?
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

phayze

Post by phayze » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:59 pm

Nice! Thanks for putting that together, Reinhard. It really does help to get that all together for easy reference.

JWL - a wiki is an awesome idea! Great way to keep the information fresh as people create new moves and come up with variations on old ones.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:07 pm

I've been experimenting with TiddlyWiki, which is really fun, but the problem with that is that it only works on a local HTML file, not over the net. However, there is a version of it that works over the net using PHP and mySQL called ccTiddly, which can be configured with usernames and passwords to be modified over the net.

You could even create a special forum/category here on this Forum just for all the different shovelglove moves....

Lots of possibilities....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:19 pm

Also, Reinhard, in the page you have set up now, I'd be careful about having a 'muscles worked' section. It's true that the ones you have listed are some of the primary muscle groups in each movement, but I think in exercise that is more organic, like shovelglove, part of the beauty of the approach is that it DOESN'T target specific muscle groups. I think it is useful to get people away from thinking that way, that's one of the reasons shovelglove is so effective at building strength.

As an example, every shovelglove exercise necessarily improves grip strength, which include hand muscles, finger muscles, forearm muscles, etc. To me, that was one of the hardest things to get used to.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

david

Post by david » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:56 pm

I also don't think the "muscles worked" info is needed. Otherwise, the registry works well.

-david

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I stuck in "Muscles worked" mostly out of a sense of obligation... I'll be happy to remove it.

I'll check out the wikki links you sent, James. Whatever I wind up doing I want to make sure it works with the bulletin board user accounts so people don't have to create more than one account.

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:32 am

Just to be clear, I don't think that TiddlyWiki is the best solution for what you're trying to do, Reinhard. I think the "standard" wiki software, MediaWiki, would make the most sense, though I doubt you could integrate usernames from this forum to that.

Part of it really depends on how much direct control you wish to have over the content on this page. If you just want a list of official Reinhard-approved moves, a static HTML page updated by you probably makes the most sense. On the other hand, if you want the moves page to take on a life of their own, so that people can add moves, and edit the moves that are there, a wiki makes sense.

There are certainly other solutions. I'd err on the side of mediawiki, but then my web hosting service has a simple one-click install of mediawiki that is reasonably low-hassle.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:51 am

I've finally updated all the movements in the registry so they have youtube video clips.

http://shovelglove.com/movements/

Now to update the links on the rest of the site...

Then I can start thinking on how/whether to make these pages more collaborative. Maybe I could just plug into a certain designated phpbb discussion or discussions for each one...

Reinhard

david

Post by david » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:54 pm

These are super useful! I think this will get more people on the shovelglove bandwagon.

--david

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:25 am

Great job with the registry and the links, Reinhard. 8)
Fall down seven times, get up eight.