Warming Up/Cooling Down

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
nediswizard

Warming Up/Cooling Down

Post by nediswizard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:55 am

Do you need to warm up/cool down before and after shovelglove?

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:37 am

This isn't really a "yes or no" question. I don't feel the need to warm up, as shugging sort of warms me up as I get going with it. On the other hand, depending on your level of fitness, strength, flexibility, etc., you might want to limber up a bit before starting your shovelglove session. I also don't find it necessary to cool down afterwards... if you do, then do.

In the beginning, I suggest erring on the side of caution... warm up a little before shugging, get acquainted with the movements and pacing of the workout, and go from there. Have fun :)!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:00 am

I don't...

Probably couldn't hurt, but 14 minutes is all I can consistently bring myself to spare, and that would put me over the edge.

I have to say I've been surprised though at how "safe" shovelglove has been for me over these 14 years. I've never once injured myself, which is far more than I can say for my attempts at running. Maybe it's the reverse of that psychological seatbelt/airbag effect that makes people more likely to have car accidents: because swinging around a sledgehammer is so obviously dangerous, it's hard not to be careful.

Reinhard