Starting with something more lightweight

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
stoogeswoman

Starting with something more lightweight

Post by stoogeswoman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:51 pm

Hey everyone -

Well, I'm back and have done the SG workout three days in a row, with some modifications.

First day, I had just discovered the YouTube video and didn't have access to a sledgehammer or anything remotely resembling it. But I really wanted to go through the moves, sooooo -- I sat at my desk, watching the video and going through the moves with ... ta da ... a PEN! :D

(and I have to say, even sitting down and just going through the motions, I could feel it in my muscles - so this would actually be a pretty good workout for someone who wasn't able to stand up. 8) )

Then yesterday and today, I tried to hoist the sledgehammer my husband's been using to take down a tree in our backyard. Unfortunately, either it was too heavy or (more likely) I'm in worse shape than I'd thought.

So I wound up using a handy-dandy device called a "carpet rake" which my mother gave me for my birthday several years ago, in the (vain) hope that it would help keep the cat hair at bay.

Now that actually worked pretty well! When not fully extended, it's the same basic length and configuration of a sledgehammer with a sweater wrapped around it. And again, I definitely felt it in my muscles.

What really made it work for me, though, is that I set up several "Shovelglove playlists" on my cell phone, each about 15 minutes long and each including my favorite songs, in various configurations. My favorite so far is the morning SG: "Sunrise" from the Grand Canyon Suite followed by "City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie, and finishing off with "Taco Grande" by Weird Al Yankovic.

So ... we'll see! But I do really like the 14-minute aspect - makes it very hard NOT to fit it into my busy schedule! :)

stoogeswoman

Re: Starting with something more lightweight

Post by stoogeswoman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:51 pm

(sorry, duplicate post) :oops:
Last edited by stoogeswoman on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Very resourceful!

Congratulations on improvising such a successful start.

Best of luck going forward and please let us know who it goes,

Reinhard

stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:32 pm

And thank you, Reinhard, for coming up with something so easy an old lady like me can do it and still feel cool! 8) :lol:

Marcy

Post by Marcy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi I ordered an 8 pound sledge hammer but found it too heavy as I am really out of shape. I kept reading testimonials about how "fun" SG was and I was definitely not having fun! I realized I couldn't visualize the movements (shoveling snow) because it was just too hard. So I found a 4lb sledgehammer on Amazon- there was only one with a long handle and it was more expensive because of it, but I'm so glad I got it! Having fun now and at some point will move up to the heavier one.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Beautiful! I didn't even know long 4 pounders were available. I'll see if I can find it and post a link... (feel free to post it yourself if you have it handy).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Think I found it:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... aysyste-20

I'll stick it on the home page as well.