Question about symmetry and muscle weakness

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
FurensIgnis

Question about symmetry and muscle weakness

Post by FurensIgnis » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:51 pm

I am a novice (girl if that matters) and am 2 days into both No S and Shovelglove. I am recovering from long term spinal problems and pinched nerves resulting in moderate left side weakness. Also a car accident 4 months ago, that caused depression and wrecked havoc on my eating habits and workout habits. I put on maybe 20-30 lbs of fat and lost so much muscle. I am working out again with doctors approval and am seeking to be most efficient.

My right side is fine. I have no problems completing 7 of each movement pattern. But my left side is so weak, the movements are so much more difficult. I am holding the sledgehammer closer to the head to decrease resistance, compared to my right side. But, I am still struggling to compete 7 of each movement with good form and without allowing other muscles to compensate.

I was told by my doctor in regards to weight lifting, I should start on my weak side and do an extra set on my weak side. I haven't really gotten back into lifting the same way I was before the car accident. I mostly do big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, presses pulls). So this advise did not really apply since haven't been doing isolation work.

So far, I really like the Shovelglove workout. I don't want increase the imbalance between the sides of my body. Any suggestions would be helpful. Since, I am a novice I have been starting on my right side, as my more coordinated side to learn the movements.

My idea for a modification would be to start on my left for 5, then right for 7, then left again for 5 (for each movement this applies to).

Thanks for any suggestions or other encouragement. I "borrowed" my brother's sledgehammer, it is probably 8 lbs, not sure though.
furens ignis

Whosonfirst

Re: Question about symmetry and muscle weakness

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:41 am

FurensIgnis wrote:I am a novice (girl if that matters) and am 2 days into both No S and Shovelglove. I am recovering from long term spinal problems and pinched nerves resulting in moderate left side weakness. Also a car accident 4 months ago, that caused depression and wrecked havoc on my eating habits and workout habits. I put on maybe 20-30 lbs of fat and lost so much muscle. I am working out again with doctors approval and am seeking to be most efficient.

My right side is fine. I have no problems completing 7 of each movement pattern. But my left side is so weak, the movements are so much more difficult. I am holding the sledgehammer closer to the head to decrease resistance, compared to my right side. But, I am still struggling to compete 7 of each movement with good form and without allowing other muscles to compensate.

I was told by my doctor in regards to weight lifting, I should start on my weak side and do an extra set on my weak side. I haven't really gotten back into lifting the same way I was before the car accident. I mostly do big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, presses pulls). So this advise did not really apply since haven't been doing isolation work.

So far, I really like the Shovelglove workout. I don't want increase the imbalance between the sides of my body. Any suggestions would be helpful. Since, I am a novice I have been starting on my right side, as my more coordinated side to learn the movements.

My idea for a modification would be to start on my left for 5, then right for 7, then left again for 5 (for each movement this applies to).

Thanks for any suggestions or other encouragement. I "borrowed" my brother's sledgehammer, it is probably 8 lbs, not sure though.
Welcome. I think either approach is acceptable, as long as you're not really struggling with the 8 lb. sledge to use reasonably good form. If so, I'd say lighten up to a lighter implement like a 5 lb. piece of std. pipe. I know they make a 7 lb. sledge, but not sure about lighter. I had a similar experience with my right side being totally deconditioned but not by an auto accident but a lung tumor.
You know from your weight lifting background that you wouldn't do compound movements like a squat with a weight that was too heavy for good form. I had to lighten up considerably and do movements with good form. Good to see you here, keep posting your progress. Whosonfirst(Trace)
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days