Really Low Rep count (x7) sets

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Really Low Rep count (x7) sets

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:30 pm

While working on the new shovelglove video, I've been doing just 7 reps a set (and then repeating as I had time), because I figured people watching the video would be bored by my usual 14/21/42. I was surprised at how hard and fun it was. It was hard not in a "I can't do this!" way but "man am I beat!" when it's done way.

I think it was this hard in this good a way because instead of maxing out one group of muscles and then moving on to another (partially but not completely overlapping) group, you revisit the same warmed up muscle group several times. It keeps your whole body in a sort of evenly worked out glow instead of overheating one part and then another.

I think it's also something that might be great for beginners. Fewer reps means it's less likely that you will overexert yourself, and you can pay better attention to form. It's also less daunting than big sets, and therefore more motivating.

I'm able to do about 2 and a half 7 rep cycles of my normal movements in 14 minutes. I think I'll continue to do this at least one day a week for a while and see if I continue liking it this much.

Reinhard

david

Post by david » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:31 pm

Isn't it cool how many ways there are to do this stuff?

This morning I did a small # of reps of shovel/churn/chop all on the left and then repeated on the right.

Next time I'll take 5 moves with 7 reps each and do this:

left side: shovel x7/one-handed churn x7/chop x7/flip lever x7/paddle x7

right side: repeat above

I'll keep going with these cycles for 14 minutes. Unless I puke first. I have a feeling this will be metabolically challenging!

--david

david

Post by david » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:20 pm

Well, I didn't puke.

I did the above protocol this morning. I got through 3 rounds but I also did some pushups and dumbell lifts after the first two rounds. If I eliminate everything but the 7rep/5move/1side protocol I may be able to get in 5 rounds.

It was metabolically challenging as I predicted but it also pumped my biceps and shoulders in a way I didn't expect. It's definitely a keeper!

--david

david

Post by david » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:18 pm

This is what I did today with 12# hammer:

LEFT SIDE:
7 shovel
7 chop
7 stoke
7 churn (one-handed)
7 paddle

repeat above on right side. I got through 5 rounds of this on the left and 4 on the right in my 14 minutes.

This started out tough but by the end I was feeling pretty strong and I actually increased the leverage a bit.

--david

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:30 pm

I tried this with the four rowing motions this morning and it felt pretty frickin' good! I managed 4 cycles with 3 sets of 20 hindu squats tossed in for variety's sake (and to give my screaming deltoids a little break!).

I think I'll make this a regular thing for a while and see what happens with it.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

david

Post by david » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 pm

This morning on low-rep theater:

Left:

7 shovel
7 one-handed churn
7 chop wood
7 paddle
7 diagonal chop tree or fireman

Right:
repeat above, THEN
7 ring pushups

I got in 4 rounds of hammering (both sides) and 3 rounds of ring pushups plus about a dozen regular pushups at the very end. I did each round of hammering without putting the hammer down--in other words I did all position switches in "mid-air."

I think I'll do this every Monday and Thursday.

--david

JWL

Post by JWL » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:29 am

hey david... what are ring pushups?
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

david

Post by david » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:46 pm

James,

Pushups done on gymnastics rings. I set the ring height so they are almost on the ground then do fairly regular pushups while holding them. Ring pushups activate the stabilizer muscles even more than regular pushups and seem to be good for the shoulders.

thanks,
david

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:24 pm

I bet!!!!!!!!!
Wow!!!!!!!

Go David go!!!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:43 pm

wow, very cool.

I think for today's shugg routine, I'm going to try a low rep set... I left my 10# sledge in the trunk of the car which my wife has at work... so I'll either try the 8# or the 16#.... we'll see....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Glad this idea has been yielding fruit for you guys as well.

This is what my routine has been looking like for the last few weeks, incorporating some low rep count sessions:

M: multiple 7 rep sets
T: single 14/21/42 rep sets
W: single 14/21/42 rep sets
Th: multiple 7 rep sets
F: "freestyle friday" (so whatever I feel like, as long as it's 14 minutes, I'm usually pretty beat by friday so it tends not to be very ambitious)

Reinhard