Let a strong mind guide your mighty hands...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
germanherman

Let a strong mind guide your mighty hands...

Post by germanherman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:45 pm

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

By
Marianne Williamson

I don’t believe in god as the religions preach him, but i love this text. It is one of the most heart warming quotes i’ve ever read.

But above all it is something that motivates me to do it better than yesterday and to brake my boundaries every day.

In this statement is something very important, something elementary much of us seem to forget:

The decisions we make dictating the life we live.

It is to easy to fall into routines, kill our minds ands souls with boredom and believe that mediocrity is good enough for us. We could be giants, but we decide not to be, because it is too hard now or we will do it next day, week, month or year.

And there is the connection to NoSDiet, Shovelglove or Urbanranger:

Our Mind decides, our body goes.

We like to use excuses, like “time”, “it is too hard” “i’m addicted” “i’m fat by genetics” “i’m weak by nature” and so on. But if we look deep inside ourselfs we know, that we somewhere in our past made the decision to be where we are today. So it is primary our mindset we have to change, before we could change anything else.

Your mind, your will is so powerful that the conformations “I will be lean and strong, i will burst of energy” alone will change the body.

I’m a martial artist over one decade now, and in this time i’ve seen small miracles possible through willpower. My first sensei was the first man i’ve ever seen in natural, who looked like a men’s health cover. He never touched any weigth or did any pushups or pullups or anything like this. He did his katas and he told me, that he only concentrate his Chi in his muscles.

It is nothing else than using your mind to contract your muscles as hard as possible. A russian trainer, who sells masses of homecourses and books once made the statement, that the key for building muscles is tension, or in other words, to contract the muscles hard. So, why they contract is not important. The muscle will not differentiate between lifting a 30 pound dumbell, or contracting your muscle with your mind and imagination as hard as possible. The first is a outer stimulus and the second a inner stimulus, but both just results in a hard contraction.

So it is important not to go through some mindless exercise routines and an diet-plan an look for the results. It will be so much more effectiv, if we use your minds for the whole concept. That’s why SG is so effectiv. If i benchpress i’m lying flat on a bench an press a weight up. My mind is not used in a great amount. I could hear the music, or think about my next day, or admire the nice woman on the stepper next to me.

When i SG, my mind builds a scenario. If i driving a fence, i can see a great dowel. I have to hit it hard too drive it in the ground. So my muscle contract harder. If i shovle, i use a heavy shovel and i shovel rocks. And again my muscles contract harder. Ich i churning the butter i don’t make butter, i churning glue. Again my muscles contract harder. And so on...

Use your mind to guide your efforts and to make your “workouts” more effectiv. Never went through a mindless session.

So, let your light shine.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:58 pm

Thanks for this post, germanherman.

Though I find dualism an attractive and useful proposition philosophically (not a popular position today), it's terrible for diet and exercise. For mind to tell body what to do and then go to sleep or turn to something completely different is boring for mind and uninspiring for body. Alexander the great charged into battle at the head of his troops. "Dualism" is probably not in the vocabulary of most fitness literature, but by neglecting mind, by omission, it's what they preach.

So down with fitness dualism! And diet dualism! Long live mindful mallet monism!

Reinhard