Shovelglove movements for legs?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
will.nz

Shovelglove movements for legs?

Post by will.nz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:16 pm

I think Reinhard does squats to finish off his 14-minute workouts, however surely there's a point at which bodyweight squats aren't going to be building much muscle?

I've been doing the Barbarian Squat, but does anyone have any other ideas on exercise ideas to develop/maintain leg muscle within the 14-minute window?

will.nz

Post by will.nz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 pm

If anyone is interested, I decided the best option for legs was to start my workout without a sledgehammer, by doing kettlebell front squats (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv1Nygxx7rk). I do one set of 14 reps, and then move on to the standard Shovelglove workout.

Unfortunately, it requires buying a couple of kettlebells (and you'll probably want to buy heavier ones as you get stronger), but for desk jockeys like ourselves, I think it's important to maintain leg strength as well as upper body strength (which Shovelglove handles well).

Yes, you could do the front squats holding a sledgehammer, but the weight means it won't really challenge your leg muscles after a few weeks.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 am

will.nz wrote:If anyone is interested, I decided the best option for legs was to start my workout without a sledgehammer, by doing kettlebell front squats (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv1Nygxx7rk). I do one set of 14 reps, and then move on to the standard Shovelglove workout.

Unfortunately, it requires buying a couple of kettlebells (and you'll probably want to buy heavier ones as you get stronger), but for desk jockeys like ourselves, I think it's important to maintain leg strength as well as upper body strength (which Shovelglove handles well).

Yes, you could do the front squats holding a sledgehammer, but the weight means it won't really challenge your leg muscles after a few weeks.
Will.nz -Well there are cheaper options: one or two dumbbells, or a bag of sand(gravel, river stone, etc), a toddler(haha), or my favorite, a concrete block wrapped in a sweater like a shovelglove. It was a good idea regardless of implement.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

will.nz

Post by will.nz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Whosonfirst wrote:-Well there are cheaper options...
Yes that's true, in my case I already had the kettlebells though :) Dumbbells would also work fine (and be easier to make heavier by adding more plates).

The other options would also work well, except for the fact that they make storing harder as they take up more space.

Toddlers aren't exactly a cheaper option and they also grow up and become larger, taking a lot more space. However, they do become progressively heavier which is nice. With that said, although I've got a few of them in my home, they're all asleep when I do my Shovelglove routine.... :lol:

i-try-2-b-fit

Post by i-try-2-b-fit » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:23 pm

Lunges are a great exercise for the legs. Safe and no equipment needed.

There are lots of variations, just do a web/youtube search.

My favorite is walking lunges - simple and very effective.

Just make sure you perform them properly, done improperly they bother your knees. Done properly they hit everything - quads, hamstrings, glutes and they stretch the hip flexors too!