Gonna give this a try- 8 or 10 pounder?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
SaveFerris

Gonna give this a try- 8 or 10 pounder?

Post by SaveFerris » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:05 am

Thought I'd try this. Would the 8 or 10 pounder be better for someone who hasn't worked out in a while, but is still moderately strong?

phayze

Post by phayze » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:39 am

hello, and welcome! As one of the more recent new guys around here I thought of myself as "moderately strong" (at least for my smallish stature) and I started with a 10. I had to spend a few minutes standing around at Home Depot swinging hammers around like a goob before I could make up my mind, though. ;)

At first I felt like the 10 was pushing things a little, but after a week of just taking it slow and easing in it started to feel pretty comfortable. Don't take my word for anything, though - go to the store and play with some hammers. It's well worth the time to make sure you get something you're going to feel good about using. Your shovelglove is your friend, so choose your friends wisely. ;)
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:39 pm

Depends what you want to optimize for.

For safety, go low.

For saving money by avoiding unnecessary upgrades, go high.

Normally I'm advise erring on the side of safety, especially since the sums of money involved are tiny, but if you're strong already, and go very, very slow, 10 sounds pretty reasonable.

Reinhard

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:15 pm

Hey thanks Phayze for your input.

You as well Reinhard, thanks.

I'm a firm beleiver in safety first... So I think I'll go with an 8.

Another thing i'm wondering, after poking around a bit more... And I imagine this has been discussed at some point. But your shoveling technique, you seem to throw the 'dirt'(or snow, or gravel, whatever you imagine yourself shoveling) behind you. When actually shoveling, I've always thrown the dirt to the side, with a twisting motion at the core... Wouldn't this way hit the midsection a bit more than how you do them? Just wondering what your opinion is on this...

phayze

Post by phayze » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:12 pm

Always glad to help, Ferris!

I have kind of a systematic brain, so I broke the shoveling thing down into four distinct types:

forward: exactly how it sounds - throwing to "dirt" directly forward with a short thrusting motion.

to the side: I do this with a slight twist toward my leading hand's side (so, to the right if my right hand is closer to the SG's head) and a twist/flick of the wrist in the same direction.

into a cart - Kind of the opposite of the last one, I imaging a cart to my left (assuming still that I'm leading with my right hand) and tilt the "dirt" into it.

over the shoulder - I bring it pretty much straight back and toss the "dirt" behind me. It's not really a "useful movement" that way unless you like getting "dirt" all over yourself, but I think it's a nice bicep workout.

I also like "quotes" today for some reason . . .
1 Picture = 1,000 words

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:48 pm

Interesting phayze...

But more importantly, what do you feel are pro's and con's of each? You mentioned over-the-shoulder hits the biceps nice, but how do you feel the other exercises differ(as far as muscles-used goes)?

phayze

Post by phayze » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:10 pm

That's hard to say, really. I'll preface this with a "in my experience . . . " because your mileage may vary. Also, if anyone would like disagree with/confirm me on this, please do!

Forward feels a lot like stoking the furnace, but it seems to be the best for ab recruitment. Like stoking, it brings in the traps and because of holding the SG at full extension, even briefly at the end of the thrust, you're emphasizing the grip, forearm and deltoid.

To the Side is my standard, mainly because that's how I would actually use a shovel. I don't think the slight twist at the waist adds anything significant to the ab-usage, but I do like the curling of the wrist (due mainly because of my obsession with my small forearms). There's still good bicep recruitment here, but the range of motion isn't as full.

The Cart is an odd one that I've really only played with a little - I made it up because I wanted to incorporate more of an exaggerated up/down movement to bring the quadriceps in. I think it's kind of awkward and didn't really spend a lot of time on it. It's nice for variety, but I'd rather do hindu squats.

All of this is academic, though. Every body (and everybody) is different, so you'll have to find what works best for you the old fashioned way. ;)

Nothing that I can type will be nearly as valuable as what your body will tell you after you play with each of them for a while. Just work a different version every day for a week and go from there. You might even discover another variant - in which case you will have to report it here immediately. ;)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
1 Picture = 1,000 words

twa2w

Post by twa2w » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:27 pm

I'm kinda of sporadic on the shovel glove as I do Heavy hands and I was training to do the Trans Rockies bike rce this summer, but now that its over I am trying to get back into the Shovel glove. i use a slightly different variation of the shovelling move.
Essentially I hold the hammer with a fairly wide grip and lunge forward and drive the shovel forward and down as if I am tring to scoop a load of dirt off the ground. If I am holding the hammer with my left hand near the peen of the hammer, I will lunge forward with my left foot and my left hand will pass close to my left ankle as I scoop up the dirt.
I then straigten up , and because it is a heavy load, swing the shovel down and back a bit then heave it up and over to the left into a wheel barrow/rail car etc which I typicall pretend to be at about chest height. I swing the shovel out and over the barrow and roll my wrists over to dump the load. its a killer onthe back the first few times but once you adapt its a great movement.

Cheers
J

david

Post by david » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:15 pm

I do that one too. I also "pitch straw" over a barrier that is about head height. There isn't one true correct way to do any of this. It's non-authoritarian.

--david

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:45 am

Is 'pitch straw' anything like the movement of tossing bales of hay?

But hey, thanks for the ideas guys.