New guy checking in

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
srbliss

New guy checking in

Post by srbliss » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:04 am

I am starting my 2nd week Monday morning. I really enjoy shovelgloving - something about it just "works" for me (it might be the need to concentrate on not hitting my self with a slegde hammer.)
I am using a 10 pounder to start with, I'm 6'0" and a soft 200 pounds. I hope to get back to 175 over the next year.
I get my shugging in the morning just after my wife leaves for work. I am doing it on the sly and waiting until she notices a difference - I already do.
Something else to add to my first post, I have a really bad back and shugging is really helping to build it up - any other exersise always caused back pain so I gave up on it. And I have even worse knees - I have had 4 ACL reconstructions (1 left, 3 right) Shugging is causing no knee pain at all. I feel better after just one week than I have in a long time.
Steve.

phayze

Post by phayze » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:45 am

Welcome home, Steve! ;)

Good lord, man! What did your knees ever do to you!? :lol: I had my left ACL worked on about 12 years ago after a skiing accident and neither of my knees have been the same since.

It's amazing how fast SG seems to work, isn't it? I think a lot of it is from getting a really good pump in all of your primary and secondary muscle groups, but I was actually feeling stronger and firmer after just two weeks when I started.

Keep up the good work, and let us know how you're coming along!
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:44 pm

Welcome steve!

Glad you're finding it good for your back. The used to say, "back breaking labor," which might have been accurate when you had do do it 14 hours a day, but I think shovelglove's 14 minutes is back building labor. It's our leisure that's back braking, in a slow, degenerative way.

Hope your wife notices soon (and not because she trips over a sledgehammer).

Reinhard

srbliss

Post by srbliss » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:22 am

phayze wrote:Welcome home, Steve! ;)

Good lord, man! What did your knees ever do to you!? :lol: I had my left ACL worked on about 12 years ago after a skiing accident and neither of my knees have been the same since.
Let's see. 1st time I blew out my right knee was a backflip on a water ski when I was 17-18. Then after working out and having huge legs my left knee snapped like a dry twig in a low speed dirt bike tip over. Since then I have 2 more redo's on my right knee because they were not done correctly the first time.
They seem OK now - it's been about 2-1/2 years since the last one (I really hope it's the last one)
Steve

phayze

Post by phayze » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:40 am

Yikes! I hope you're right about them being okay! Just go on being good to them and they'll be good to you.

Once was more than enough for me. A combination of martial arts and elliptical trainers/stationary bikes has kept mine in pretty good shape. I haven't done much of either of those in the past 6 months or so, though. Come to think of it, that might be why it's been bothering me lately . . . .

I need to get back on that bike!
1 Picture = 1,000 words

JWL

Post by JWL » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:55 am

welcome to shovelglove. Regarding knees, hindu squats are your friend....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:17 pm

Welcome, Steve! Glad to hear shovelglove is yielding results for you so quickly. Best wishes for continued success and keep us posted! 8)
Fall down seven times, get up eight.

srbliss

Just finished my 2nd week

Post by srbliss » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:28 pm

I still like it. This is the longest I have stuck with a home based exersise program. I actually look forward to it first thing in the morning, my 7 month old baby gets a kick watching me fling the hammer all about.
I am doing sets of 10 and lots of variety plus making up moves like "bash the bottom of the table"
Enjoy the long weekend and don't have to many S's.
Steve

david

Post by david » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:58 pm

Way to go! You sound like one of us!
(nutjobs with sledgehammers, that is)

--david

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:54 pm

david wrote:Way to go! You sound like one of us!
it's not exactly an exlusive club, but one that I think anyone should be proud to be a member of. ;)

Glad you're having fun, Steve! Keep on shuggin'. :D
1 Picture = 1,000 words

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:49 am

You rang? :lol:
Fall down seven times, get up eight.

srbliss

Hindu squats

Post by srbliss » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:55 pm

JWL wrote:welcome to shovelglove. Regarding knees, hindu squats are your friend....
I still do these now and then. My knees really snap, crackle and pop during the first 20 or so. I think my knees are so far gone that I probably shouldn't do them (75% of the cartilage in my right knee is gone.) When I do hindu pushups my lower back pops every rep - so I'm worried about doing them anymore. I just do plain old pushups now.

srbliss

3 weeks now!

Post by srbliss » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:01 pm

I've been at this for 3 full weeks now. Have not missed one N day.
I took it easy today because I tweaked my back picking up my baby :o .

I am finding that I have to fight the urge to cheat and do more than 14 minutes! I guess I will have to crank up the intensity a bit once my back is feeling good again.

Steve