14 Minutes Is More Than Enough

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
friscobob

14 Minutes Is More Than Enough

Post by friscobob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:23 pm

I was reading Podcast Episode 38 and realized how much great information was contained therein. I concur with the statement that if anyone thinks 14 minutes is not enough exercise, just give the suggestion to try pushups and squats back to back a try, even 7 minutes of doing this will totally leave you feeling like this is way too much! I did this yesterday, and in 7 minutes of non-stop pushups and squats, I was "swimming" in a pool of sweat! As for cardio, you can get a great cardio workout in about 15 minutes, just try walking as fast as you can for 2 minutes, then at your regular pace for 3 minutes, and repeat this 3 times. Sure, for weight loss an hour of regular pace walking will be more effective, but the above 15 minute routine will wake you up and get you huffing and puffing a bit.
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

friscobob

Re: 14 Minutes Is More Than Enough

Post by friscobob » Sat May 25, 2019 4:19 am

14 minutes done 5 days a week is an ideal program for me. When I first read the transcript of Episode 38, I thought, hey, this is not enough time, but you can make the 14 minute commitment really pay off by ramping up the intensity on days when you feel like it, and taking it easier on days when you feel a little out of it. I do pushups, crunches, and squats. I do as many pushups as I can until I start to lose good form, and then do the same amount of crunches and squats, usually between 40-50 reps. I also walk as much as possible during the day, some days more than others, from 30 minutes to an hour or so. The No S program is the best I've seen, so sensible and doable, actually it's a program that we naturally followed back in the 50's. All the best to Reinhard and all on this board in their quest for good health and fitness.
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!