Steve Justa on workouts for Fat Burning

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
storm fox

Steve Justa on workouts for Fat Burning

Post by storm fox » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:32 am

Let me calmly state how much I doubt anyone has the time to invest in this. I ordered a back issue of Milo (Dec 2002) for an article by Steve Justa, who our own Reinhard has been repeatedly compared to. In this article, entitled "High Endurance Workouts to Burn Fat," Justa describes the strategy that took him from 365# to 240# in 8 months. "Well," you say, "that sounds great, if it's true. How'd he do it?" Well, it appears it is true, but you'll regret asking how he did it.

He began drinking lots of water. He took a hard manual labor job loading scrap metal into dumpsters (not in a scrapyard, they have forklifts and magnetic cranes do that there. Justa was loading dumpsters dropped off at farmers' private dumps). He began performing 4-5 insane workouts per week, which lasted 2.5 or more hours and included hundreds of reps with medium weights.

If I tried lifting like this, my joints would throb and ache, I'd get kicked out of grad school, and my wife would leave me. That is, if the workload didn't kill me. More power to Steve Justa, though. I've really gotta hand it to him. 3 decades in the iron game and a lifetime of manual labor really do add up to a great foundation. The trick is adapting this approach to us mere mortals.

sledgehammer

Re: Steve Justa on workouts for Fat Burning

Post by sledgehammer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:21 pm

storm fox wrote:
If I tried lifting like this, my joints would throb and ache, I'd get kicked out of grad school, and my wife would leave me. That is, if the workload didn't kill me. More power to Steve Justa, though. I've really gotta hand it to him. 3 decades in the iron game and a lifetime of manual labor really do add up to a great foundation. The trick is adapting this approach to us mere mortals.
Storm fox, I agree with you, Justa's workout is unsustainable. It can't possibly be made part of the daily routine for anyone with a non-physical dayjob.

One would need to arrange his/her lifestyle around Justa's routine.

Also, loading dumpsters by hand for a living offers little mental stimulation and is unbalanced. "Mens sano in corpore sano", as Juvenal said.

Reinhard's shovelglove routine on the other side is more pragmatic: it can be aranged around anyone's lifestyle.