tabata method

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
SurfingBuddha

tabata method

Post by SurfingBuddha » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:20 pm

Has anyone tried this with regards to SG??
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do? ... 6-training
I like the principle behind it, although I think the 14 minute rule of SG might already qualify as HIT type training. It would certainly explain the bench press results we were taking about a couple of weeks ago.
Build a man a fire, he stays warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.

Mike23

Post by Mike23 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:42 am

I have indeed tried it with SG movements as well as dumbbells. And while the workout may appear tame at first glance, it is far from it, especially if you do multiple rounds. After a while those 20sec seem to painfully linger while the 10 sec rest goes by in a flash. Done correctly, they sure get the heart rate up and the sweat pouring out. The key to making such an abbreviated session beneficial is to put a lot of intensity in those 20sec of the "work" portion of the interval.

If you asked me if a single 4min tabata interval is enough to call it a day, I'd say it depends on the individual's fitness level and their goals. Like is always suggested in this forum when either first starting out or testing a new movement, begin slowly and err on the side of caution.

What I did for SG tabata intervals was to pick one movement, do it right-handed for the 20sec, rest for 10sec, then do it left handed for 20sec, rest 10sec, then pick a new movement and repeat until 4min was up. I'd rest for a min, drink some water and then start another round until I made it through the 20 some odd list of movements I have.

There's a lot of room to improvise so tailor-make it to your liking.

Have fun.--Mike
Mike23

Mike23

Post by Mike23 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:47 am

Incidentally, I failed to mention that you owe it to yourself to check out that link that SurfingBuddha provided in his post and try the dumbell thrusters Tabata-style as described in the article at least once. Use the guidelines in choosing the appropriate amount of weight for you and follow the time intervals STRICTLY, so no cheating by wandering away, getting water, letting the dog out, etc. (c'mon, it's four minutes!). Better yet, have someone time it for you to keep you honest. Afterwards, if your chest isn't heaving and your quads, shoulders & back aren't burning; you either used too light a weight or you hail from the planet Krypton.

One 4min round of dumbbell thrusters Tabata-style, done correctly with a high level of intensity, just may in fact be sufficient for a day's workout; you'll only find out if you try it. Like the article says, once you've done it, you'll learn to dread it so once or twice a month is plenty as a change-of-pace, brutally brief workout. I've done it three times now, each time at the end of a workout and what a great finisher it is indeed. I guarantee you there will be nothing left in the tank after that!

Give it a shot and please relay your experience.
Mike23

phayze

Post by phayze » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Tabata's are Life.

Paradoxically, they also make one want thier life to end. :lol
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

Mike23

Post by Mike23 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:42 am

I put my money where my mouth was and after a brief jog at the track tonight, I came home to do some tabata thrusters to better remember the pain. The previous times I did them was at the end of a lifting workout with 10# dumbbells which kicked my butt. Since I was sorta fresh tonight, I decided to use 20# dumbbells. Four minutes later, as I stood panting in front of a fan, I realized I hadn't misspoke about how hard they are. I had a hard time lifting my arms above my shoulders for a minute or so. I went to the bathroom to take out my contacts and had a little difficulty due to shaking arms and quivering quads. Yes, I'm glad it's over and no, I probably won't do them again for another month.
Mike23

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm

Would an exercise like a burpee (squat thrust) work? I'm not much of a weight lifter. I'd probably do these with some SG movements, but I think you'd have to be doing something more aerobic to get the full benefit. Maybe using a tire would help, because you could just go all out...
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

SurfingBuddha

Post by SurfingBuddha » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:15 pm

Okay Mike 23! Here goes...
After reading your replies on Tues. I tried the dumbell thrusters, keep in mind I was using 10lb dumbells. I got through (or I survived) the four minutes without wanting to hurl...I was tired, but in a good way, however since Tues. evening my calves have been like knots. I know they may not look like baseballs, but they sure as heck feel like them!
I think twice a month is just about right for this kinda thing....
Build a man a fire, he stays warm for a night.
Set a man on fire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.

Mike23

Post by Mike23 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:06 pm

SurfingBuddha:
I'm glad to hear you tried it, survived and came away with a positive experience (even with the calf pain). Yeah, I've never came close to the hurling aspect; only muscle failure. My shoulder & glutes were a bit smoked the next day.

Speaking of which, I wanted to get a light, quick workout in last night before meeting some friends to watch the basketball games. I decided to stop by a park on my way home from work and do some kettlebell exercises. When I opened my trunk, I realized I had taken my lighter bells out so all that was in there was the 28kg (62lb) KB. So much for a "light" workout. I forged on and warmed up with about twenty 2-handed swings. Being pressed for time, I figured 25 1-handed snatches with each arm would give me a good overall workout. Bloody hell! It was a lot harder than I thought with that weight and I barely made the 25 with my weaker arm. I was sure huffin' & puffin too. Today my forearms, glutes and traps are pleasantly sore.

If you don't own a KB, try 1-arm snatches with a dumbbell, a palm-sized medicine ball or even a small rock for a great full-body workout and conditioner.
Mike23

storm fox

Post by storm fox » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:50 am

KB snatches really are awesome overall, aren't they? I have a snatch workout coming up tomorrow. Many low-reps sets over 20 minutes. As long as my palms hold out, anyway. I have learned to stop when the palm starts tingling in "that funny way." Doing so hurts my ego, but I no longer get palm tears.

Mike23

Post by Mike23 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:00 pm

Yeah, KB snatches are painfully addicting in a sick sort of way. I love taking a lighter KB to the track and doing those "manmaker" workouts:
50 snatches each arm, jog/walk a lap, 40 snatches each arm, another lap, etc.
I did a new routine at the the track two days ago that I got from a Zach Even-Esh e-mail with an audio link. You start by taking two equivalent KBs, press/jerk them overhead and walk a pre-set distance. He suggested a basketball court going from half-court to the net; I did the length of a long jump/pole vault runway as it was off the main track. So you walk the KBs overhead and when you get to the end, press the bells 5x. Leave the bells in the rack position, walk back to the start and do 5x front squats. Let the KBs hang to the side, Farmers Walk to the end and then do 5x bent over rows. Leave one arm hanging, press the other bell up and do this "crossover" carry back to the start. Once there, 5x squats with high pulls. Switch the arm positions, walk to the end and do 5x alternating snatches. That's one round.
It really works your core trying to stabilize those bells while walking and it was a great grip workout. I did it with my 16kg (35lb) bells since they are the only same-sized ones I have. I ended up doing 4 rounds of this and walked a lap between each round. With one round, I doubled the distance I walked before doing the lifts. It was hard but not brutally hard as I'm sure it would be with a heavier weight or more reps. My shoulders & forearms were very tired afterwards and my traps were sore the next day.
Give it a shot sometime. Let me know some of your favorite routines as I'm always looking to mix things up. Thanks.--Mike
Mike23

storm fox

Post by storm fox » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:35 am

A couple I recently tried are Floor Wipers with KB's, and "Renegade Manmakers." I guess the only way the names could have been worse would be if they were floor makers and man wipers. Silly. Good exercises, though. My bread and butter are: 1-hand C&P, 1-hand snatch, a few different types of swings. Occasionally, I have this thought to put one bell overhead and squat/DL another, larger one with the free hand. I have done the miserable "soap swings" and despise them for pointing out the weakness of my grip.

Mike23

Post by Mike23 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:04 pm

I like doing the 1-arm KB press and then going to a Windmill. I really love doing combination routines of 3-5 exercises for several rounds without setting the KB down.
I've always wanted to try the "soapy hands" swings. Did you just use liquid soap? How heavy of a KB do you use?
Mike23

storm fox

Post by storm fox » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Soap Swings are an education. I'd start with a lighter bell than you've been swinging with, and yes, liquid dish soap. Don't expect a high rep count. The other note, from Pavel, is to not "candy up" the swing at all. That is, don't slow it down (making it easier on the grip and getting you more reps), but give it absolute hellfire and if the thing slips free from your hand, so be it. It is, after all, a grip movement, and much lower reps are to be expected. If you try soaped swings and you are still getting plenty of reps, it's most likely that you're taking it slow through the hard parts. RESIST THE TEMPTATION to slow down, as it lowers the effectiveness of the drill.
That is a bad summary of Pavel writing about soap swings, but it gets the point across.

PS-THis is so important: OUTDOORS ONLY! You absolutely will not be able to hold onto the darned thing using the proper technique.