Shovelglove *PLUS* .... rope skipping?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Sixty

Shovelglove *PLUS* .... rope skipping?

Post by Sixty » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:25 pm

I notice a lot of people are doing "Shovelglove *PLUS*" - i.e., combining shovelgloving with push-ups and other work outs.

For years I've wanted to skip rope on a regular basis, but always found 30 minute skipping routines to be too strenuous. Several weeks ago I started skipping rope for 5 minutes after shovelgloving. I had the initial start-up soreness in my feet for the first week, but now my legs feel fine and the 5 minutes of skipping is very pleasant.

Finding a sustainable routine seems to be the key - training for a limited time on specific days only. 5 minutes of skipping weekday mornings seems to work for me. I don't know if there are any health benefits for such a short work out, but it's fun and I look forward to it every morning. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sixty

Kevin

rope skipping

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Rope skipping is excellent exercise, even if just for five minutes. If you do it on top of SG, when you pulse is already up, it'll definitely do you good.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:04 pm

I don't do it myself, but there's gotta be a reason boxers are so into it. And boxers don't joke around when it comes to exercise. In fact, they've even been know to do some very shovelglove-like stuff...

http://shovelglove.com/group/29.html

Reinhard

Sixty

Some tips for rope skipping

Post by Sixty » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:05 am

As a public service, here are some tips I dug up on the Internet for good rope skipping techniques:

PROPER SKIPPING POSTURE
Stand up straight and relax - the body should be slightly bent (not rigid) when jumping.
Look straight ahead with your head level, chin up, and your neck relaxed.
Check that your shoulders aren't tense.

The arms should be held in closely to the body - keep your elbows tucked into your body and bent, as though your were starting a curl with a dumbbell.

Keep your wrists relaxed and loose. The movement of the rope will come from your wrists, so you won't need to swing your arms.

Your hands should be more or less level with your hips, with your palms facing forwards.

Legs should be kept together.
Keep your knees and feet loose.
Favor your ankle power over your knees.

When you are ready to use the rope, keep your hands at your sides and turn with your wrists. There should be little or no arm movement.

Push off and land on the balls of your feet, then roll back to your heels for the softest landing (easiest on the joints).

You should also bend your knees to absorb the force.
Keep the rope in motion with wrist action.
Your head should be held up straight; don't lift your shoulders and don't jump too high - just enough to get the rope under you.

ALSO
Before trying any tricks or skills with the rope, try them without the rope.
Rope length: Stand on the middle of the rope, feet together, and pull up on the handles till your arms are bent at a right angle. Adjust the rope to this length by knotting it or adjusting the handles.
Type of rope: I have had the best luck with "Beaded Jump Ropes" (the rope consists of a series of little plastic links).

WARNINGS
Go very easy the first few days of skipping (a few minutes max!) - your feet will be very sore the next four or five days until they get used to the new stress.

Any surface that gives a bit is fine, like hardwood floors or rubber mats (super soft surfaces will interfere with the rope). Be very careful not to skip on concrete.

Wear cross-trainers or volleyball shoes, NOT jogging shoes. (sports shoes with shock-proof or insole design)

Sixty