Starting monday...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Atom

Starting monday...

Post by Atom » Sun May 06, 2007 1:27 am

I stumbled upon ShovelGlove when somebody mentionned it in a discussion about that site on metafilter.

For some reason unknown to me, it just clicked. I went to the hardware store to get a sledgehammer this afternoon and even though I'm really starting it monday morning I gave the sledgehammer a try earlier tonight to get a feel for the moves so that I don't have to use my brain too much monday morning.

... I was unhappy because they only had 10# hammers (well they had 16# hammers but it seemed a bit excessive), I'm now pretty happy I didn't get a 12# hammer it would have seriously kicked my ass. I'll consider doing the mod in a few months if the 10# gets comfortable.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 08, 2007 12:57 pm

Welcome, Atom!

Wow, that guy grew about a foot taller! :-)

Just kidding, pretty impressive -- as is the rest of the site.

Thanks for the post!

Reinhard

Atom

Post by Atom » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:43 am

A few comments after a month of SG.

The 14 minutes things is genius, it may not be the most intense excercise you can do, but it'll pretty much guarantee that you'll do it. You just have to be patient about the results. I'm not really expecting visible results anytime soon, but I've been able to add new moves to the sets I was doing since I had extra time left after doing it twice, so I guess this is progress.

It's also fun, and since it's fun I'm actually getting up a lot earlier since I'm looking forward to doing my SG. This is a major accomplishment for me.

And I'm also kinda UrbanRanging. Funny how I never expected the public transport employees strike to result in anything good for me, but this gave me the kick in the butt I needed to start walking to work again. I'll reevaluate what I'll do this winter.

Atom

Post by Atom » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:58 am

Back with SG after a 2 months hiatus (caused by both a broken rib which made SG impossible and a massive end of project crunch).

I can honnestly say missed it.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:39 pm

Welcome back!

Sorry about your good excuse -- sounds painful.

When I go longer than a weekend without shugging I start to miss it, too. There's someting very, very satisfying, cathartic almost, about swinging a sledgehammer around.

Reinhard