naked shovelgloving

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
urbansix

naked shovelgloving

Post by urbansix » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:31 am

My glove fell off my shovel in mid workout today. So I finished without protection. It was a big old cable-knit sweater - probably too thick, which helped it come untied. Its absence made the hammer feel so much lighter and less cumbersome. Makes me feel like I was working with a heavy a$s mop before. :lol: Also makes me want for a heavier weight. Most of the cats survived.

I was considering a stuffed animal or toy stuffed soccer ball instead of sweater. Plenty of outgrown stuffed things around here. Or something like a tea cozy or oven mitt (hey - an actual glove!). Would I be betraying the spirit of Shovelglove?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:02 pm

Oh rats!!! I figured you weren't being literal!
LOL.. :P
Your story is a bit of a let down urban six, but I do wish you well in resolving your naked shovelglove problem! :wink:
I never liked using the sweater and just leave it uncovered.
The real spirit of Shovelglove is the great feeling of doing it!
So don't worry about the sweater :)
If you feel you need to pad it, I suggest taking a small hand towel, fold it, and then tape it with duct tape.
No, not as weird and geeky as a sweater, but would protect your floors!
Have a nice weekend :)
Peace,
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Le Mercenaire

Post by Le Mercenaire » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:06 am

Hi Urbansix, I find the idea of opening a stuffed animal and fixingit at the end of the sledge wonderfull! That's a safe way to customize your glove and that would be nice, after a while, to see the thing people came up with. Some kind of picture board of the shovelgloves!!!

But as Deb put it, the essence is actually doing it. And personally, I'm shovelling in the basement and I don't have cat so I never bothered covering my sledge...

Keep on shugging!

Le Mercenaire
Bis vincit qui se vincit in victoriam

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:20 pm

Stuffed animal shovelglove would be adorable (and/or disturbing: "Daddy, what did you do to Teddy?"). Do post pictures if you do this.

I would put something over it, in any case. Naked shovelglove, like other naked activities, is great until chance and time do their thing. A sweater might not seem like much, but it will protect you (and your floor, and your cats) from little dings. It's a little like an army helmet: if someone shoots you in the head point blank with an AK-47, you're going to die, helmet or no helmet. But the helmet will protect you from lots of other stuff, shrapnel, concussions, etc, that might have injured you otherwise.

Reinhard

Mr Jack

Post by Mr Jack » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:28 am

You know, I started out without a covering - through procrastination, rather than intent - but I put one on sharpish after I left a sizeable dent in the side of my computer...

I use bubble wrap and masking tape.

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Yeah, I haven't had a cover on my sledges in a long time. I'm just extra careful. No incidents yet *knock on wood... NOT with a sledgehammer*

The reason is that I occasionally actually need to use my hammers as a hammer....
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

urbansix

Post by urbansix » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:15 pm

I wonder if you could rhino coat it? You know, the thick, knobby spray-on rubber truck bed liner. If that stuff came in a can you could just dip it.