Planning on starting Shovelglove

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Murphysraven

Planning on starting Shovelglove

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:54 pm

I have the sledgehammer (i think it's either a 10 or 12 lb) I've read and watched the different moves. I am going to start a routine after I have completed my 21 day habit forming portion of NoS and Urban Ranger.

I'd love some advice as to beginners moves and routines to try. I was hoping to start slow as I haven't worked out in a loooong time and I have a very sedative lifestyle. I was thinking I could build up to shovelglove with 5 min a day, graduating to 14 min with 2 weeks. I also have some light weight barbels (a 3 lb set and a 10 lb set) that I was debating using to begin with (during my 21 day habit forming) and graduating to the sledgehammer.

I feel kinda wimp for wanting to start out so slow but so many times in the past I have gotten really excited about exercising, only to overdo it and be so sore and exhaused I didn't want to continue.
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

r3

Post by r3 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:39 pm

Hello--I'm new to Shovelglove also (started this week with a 10 pounder).

I'm also finding that I'm having to work up to 14 minutes--as I'm really out of shape (and pushing 50 and having small arms doesn't help matters either!). I've had the same problem with exercise programs--overdoing it only to give it up after a couple of weeks.

I enjoy this exercise program, but even with going 7 minutes I definitely think I need to drop the weight down a bit, and work up to 10 pounds/14 minutes gradually. The lighter weight will probably help me maintain better form when doing these movements. I'm going out today and getting either a 6 or 8 pound hammer. 10 pounds is just too much for me to sling around right now, and I sure don't want to throw my back out.

So far, I'm doing 10 reps of the following moves, and then just repeating the cycle until I hit 7 minutes:
1) Shoveling (basic move--this is my favorite)
2) Churning Butter
3) Hoisting Sack (I use both arms for this)
4) Chop wood

I tried the Flip the Lever, but felt that put too much strain on my shoulders, so will not do that move for awhile.

My arms feel tired, but great.

What do you do to warm up before your routine?

--r3

JWL

Post by JWL » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Hello newbies! :-)

Welcome to shovelglove. I've been doing this for several years now.... I think you are both very smart to start slow. This is a very strenuous (and fun!) exercise, you will work muscles you didn't know you had. :-)

If you are like me, the first week or two will be EXTREMELY challenging, almost to the point of seeming like it is too much, but within 2-3 weeks it is very likely that you will notice a dramatic increase in your strength, and it will get easier as you go.

As you go, remember that the most important thing is to develop a good habit. At first this can be just doing SOME shugging each day, gradually working up to the 14min.
Things to think about as you start:

1. Leverage is your friend. If it's too difficult, slide your hand down closer to the business end of the hammer and it will get easier.

2. Slow is good. Good form is VERY important. Don't get lazy with form. Back straight, Legs in the right spot, use your body for the moves, not just the arms.

3. If it gets to be too much for you, even with the leverage trick mentioned above, then I think it's worth it to get a lighter hammer. 8# hammers are common, you can find 6# hammers if you look around, even a 4# framing hammer with a shorter handle works (my daughter uses one of these...) :-)

Good luck!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm say, set a timer for 14 minutes and very carefully, very slowly, try out a small number of reps of each movement and see how each one feels. Revisit the movements that seem promising, skip (or defer till you're stronger) the others. If you need to rest, rest. If you want to use dumbells or something else for part of your routine, do so. If your arms are too tired, do jumping jacks. If you're too beat for jumping jacks, run in place. If even that's too much, just stand at attention till the timer goes off. The hardest part is carving out the time, so prioritize doing that. And since the number one excuse for not making the time is that something hurts, going slow and avoiding injury or unpleasantness, a pretty important goal in itself, also ties into this.

For the purpose of habit building, all 14 minutes are created equal. But in terms of how strenuous those 14 minutes need to be, emphatically not so. So I'd advise focus on starting with the easiest possible 14 minutes, then very gradually making them more strenuous. If you can consistently take 14 minutes out of your day, you've mastered the most difficult part of shovelglove. The muscle work is (in more ways than one) child's play.

If for some reason 14 minutes seems scary, then set the timer for a shorter amount of time. The precise number is not that important -- though sticking with *some* precise number (motivationally speaking) is. Your idea of starting with just 5 minutes or so and then incrementing is fine, though I think if you take it easy enough, the full 14 is very doable, no matter what shape you are in. Still, don't let the 14 intimidate you. Something is infinitely better than nothing. If you know you just ain't gonna do 14 right now, do 5.

Reinhard

ou812

Post by ou812 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:58 am

I am sure that the shovelglove workout indirectly works the abs through stabilization, but have you noticed any particular moves that seem to work the abdominal muscles harder than others? Thanks.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:11 am

I think all the twisty moves are great for the abs: drive fence post, chop wood, chop tree, the fireman. Plain old shovel is good too. But I wouldn't worry about it. The routine as whole works the abs plenty. Your abs might always be playing a supporting role instead of starring as they do in contrived movements like crunches, but that's as it should be, that's how abs have historically, naturally been used. It's both more fun and better exercise: realistic use results in realistic usability.

Reinhard