Loadable hammer

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Mike23

Loadable hammer

Post by Mike23 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:05 am

I don't recall if anyone has posted this but the Fat Bastard Barbell Co. makes a "hammer" called the Slammer that can be loaded as desired with Olympic plates.

http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/SLAMMER.html

I know there have been other postings with homemade upgrades of current hammers (quite ingenious too) but I offer this for those of us who are clueless in the workshop or simply lazy enough to just buy an existing product.

Hope this is useful for some.--Mike
Mike23

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Very cool!

I think I personally will stick with multiple hammers as added skull protection :-)

Plus I like the aesthetics of a real hammer.

But I'm sure loads of people will find this useful -- I'll stick a link to it on the home page next to fungus's "mod."

Reinhad

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Whoa. That's quite a gadget. I was staring at it and I swear I heard "Flight of the Valkyries" playing somewhere. That thing is truly medieval.
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

twa2w

Post by twa2w » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:36 pm

I posted on another thread about trying to use adjustable ankle weights to increase the weight of your hammer but then tried it myself and discovered you needed a ton of duct tape to even come close to making it safe.

What I discovered last night was my dear wife had 2 one pound wrist weights that were made from some stretchy material designed to slip over the hand and be used around your wrists. These are not adjustable and appear to be loaded with shot or small ball bearings/pellets inside a spandextype elastic material They are too small for me slip over my big hands but...

I simply slipped these over the handle of the hammer and slid them down to the hammer end. They were snug enough to hold fairly tight. I took a few hearty swings and voila my 8 punder was now a 10 pounder (with both weights) so now I can chose between an 8, a 9 or a 10 pound sledge just by slipping these weights on/off. I think they won't slide as centrifigal force will keep them at the end of hammer. And if they slidedown toward my hand, they will slide back toward the hammer head when I start to shovel or chop thus adding to the force I will need to slow the hammer down.

I could add a round of hockey tape above them if I didn't want them to slide and I could likely still remove them.

Cheers
J

twa2w

Post by twa2w » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:53 pm

I apologize - I see i beaten to the punch in this post bysgtrock

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:30 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus you can always slap cheap ankle weights onto it to "upgrade" more gradually. They come in all different sizes; we found a pair of small neoprene circular 1-pound weights that fit the handle perfectly. Just be sure to wrap them inside the sweater/cover and you're good to go.

Adding that 2 pounds or so to the end of the stick is a sneakily dramatic difference.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:26 pm

No need to apologize! If you couldn't find it, neither could others.

Posting to a bulletin board should require hours of background research to figure out whether someone's posted it before. If it's interesting or useful and not screamingly obviously covered, then a refresher is always in order.

Reinhard